A Day In the Life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmission

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to hear from an intern or new resident about this, I've searched and haven't been able to find much. Basically, what's all in a days work? For example, what time to you wake up/leave and what do you spend most of the day at the hospital doing? Just going from patient to patient and diagnosing or is there more studying involved?

Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I saw the first one -- It seems like those deal more with hours and time on a weekly basis. I was hoping someone could elaborate on the actual tasks done while on call or in the hospital. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
It might help if you asked what specialty because what they do on a typical day will vary somewhat, at least at the junior level and a fair bit at the senior level, beween fields.

But its generally a combination of rounds, Chief or attending rounds, calling consults, checking on test results, possibly going to the OR (surgical specialties, anesthesia), discharges, admissions, seeing consults, conferences, evening rounds (on services that round twice a day), etc.

Thanks for the reply. What are 'rounds' and 'chief rounds'? Do attendings usually run them?

I saw the first one -- It seems like those deal more with hours and time on a weekly basis. I was hoping someone could elaborate on the actual tasks done while on call or in the hospital. Thanks!

You really have to do a search. Please.

Using the keyword "life":

A Day in the Life
life of a anesthesiologist
Life of an Ortho Surgeon
Life as a hospitalist....questions from a med student

There are lots more (almost one in every field's forum) if you search.

Come on, some are even entitled "A Day In The Life," just like this thread!

As stated earlier, it helps if we know what field(s) you're interested in.

That may explain the hesitancy in answering your questions - because they've all been addressed before, in similar threads.

Thanks, Blade28, those were helpful.
Still confused on this, though - what are rounds? Is it just going from bed to bed to individually check on your patiens?

Thanks again.

Everyone is really being helpful and these answers are all routine to those of us who are physicians and may not be apparent to you - but for cryin out loud DO A SEARCH, google if you have to. I already know what rounds are but I googled them anyway and so can you.

You could always consider, you know, not posting if you're not going to have anything helpful to say. Yes, I have searched and, as mentioned above (if you even read it), I said I was still slightly confused. A little clarification was all I was asking for.

I've been wanting to hear from an intern or new resident about this, I've searched and haven't been able to find much. Basically, what's all in a days work? For example, what time to you wake up/leave and what do you spend most of the day at the hospital doing? Just going from patient to patient and diagnosing or is there more studying involved?

Depends on the specialty.

Depends on the service.

Depends on the attending.

Depends on how many patients you currently have.

Still confused on this, though - what are rounds? Is it just going from bed to bed to individually check on your patiens?

More or less, yes, this is true.

You could always consider, you know, not posting if you're not going to have anything helpful to say. Yes, I have searched and, as mentioned above (if you even read it), I said I was still slightly confused. A little clarification was all I was asking for.

You could always consider, you know, not posting these types of questions until you've done a few in-hospital rotations as a medical student. After your surgery, OB/gyn, or internal med rotation, you will know what rounds are. You will have a better idea of what a resident's day is like also.

Seriously, you're a pre-med. Try surviving medical school FIRST, then worry about what residency is like!

Rounds?

I just like to know what kind of field I'm going to part of before I commit to it, that's all.

I just like to know what kind of field I'm going to part of before I commit to it, that's all.

If you're looking to decide on a specialty based on style of rounds, I agree that it's way too early to be worrying about that.

If you're wondering about the basics of being a physician, suffice to say it varies tremendously depending on the field.

I'll bite and answer your question on rounds just because this thread will go nowhere otherwise. :) That, and I feel a certain obligation as I'm the mod.

"Rounds" usually consist of seeing patients, one at a time, while asking pertinent questions and doing a focused physical exam. You document your findings in the chart as a progress note, complete with vital signs, lab/imaging study results, and then you include your assessment and plan. (To read more about this, look up "SOAP" or "progress"

Rounds can be conducted by yourself, early in the morning (usually "pre-rounds"), with other residents ("team rounds"), the chief resident ("chief rounds"), or the attending ("attending rounds"). The style, length, intensity and focus will vary depending on what specialty you're in.

In some fields (e.g. Internal Medicine), rounds act as a springboard for further discussion. On some rotations, you'll spend all day rounding and discussing interesting patients, diseases, treatments, etc. In other fields (e.g. surgical ones), you quickly round in the morning before heading off to the OR at around 0715. You'll likely check up on any sick patients throughout the day.

I should add that I just did a search with the keyword "rounds" (both in the med student and resident forums), and there are tons of hits. Those threads will also have the info you're looking for.

Edit: I just noticed that you're still in high school and deciding what to major in during undergrad. So it's a little early to be worrying about rounds. :)

How exactly are you in pre-med and have no idea what a "round" is? Anyone who watches medical shows on television would know what it is.

I am beginning to think that you are a troll because no one is that unenlightened...

How exactly are you in pre-med and have no idea what a "round" is? Anyone who watches medical shows on television would know what it is.

I am beginning to think that you are a troll because no one is that corky...

I could easily say the same about you.

I'm done with this topic now. Thanks to those that did help.

I could easily say the same about you.

I'm done with this topic now. Thanks to those that did help.

No you coudn't. You couldn't say the same.

Wow. they didnt have things like online forums back when I was in high school.
To the original poster... Watch Scrubs on TV. That will clear up a lot of your questions.

Wow. they didnt have things like online forums back when I was in high school.
To the original poster... Watch Scrubs on TV. That will clear up a lot of your questions.

Hell they barely had these things when I was in college!

And I only discovered the (still relatively new) Internet during the second half of 11th grade (1995).