my life is ruined :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giovanni83

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear friends,
This is an update on my current situation.
I march, more than 3 months before the completion of my pgy1 year and starting of my pgy2 year, I told my current PD that I wanted to resign from the upcoming PGY2 position, and expressed my will to transfer to another program.
He said he would not allow my transfer because I already signed a contract with him for PGY2, so he left me with 2 choices: staying another year at least or go back to my country.
I was forced to choose the second one because I really cant stay in my current hospital, I do not like it.
Now there are many PGY2 positions opened, but how can I get these spots without any LOR from my current PD?
I think he wants me to waste 1 year, in revenge of resigning...

What do you think guys?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Dear friends,
I march, more than 3 months before the completion of my pgy1 year and starting of my pgy2 year, I told my current PD that I wanted to resign from the upcoming PGY2 position, and expressed my will to transfer to another program.
He said he would not allow my transfer because I already signed a contract with him for PGY2, so he left me with 2 choices: staying another year at least or go back to my country.
I was forced to choose the second one because I really cant stay in my current hospital, I do not like it.
Now there are many PGY2 positions opened, but how can I get these spots without any LOR from my current PD?

What do you think guys?
If you aren't trolling, you screwed up. They pretty much own you once you start, and are you an IMG/FMG

I hope it works out for you

Reactions: 1 users
Nothing legally stops you from getting another spot in another program. Your PD can make it more difficult, but you can still look for a spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing legally stops you from getting another spot in another program. Your PD can make it more difficult, but you can still look for a spot.

I am trying to respond to the PGY2 positions opening...but they ALL want the PD letter first....

I am trying to respond to the PGY2 positions opening...but they ALL want the PD letter first....
The PD said this would happen. You broke contract. Almost anyone who takes the time to call this PD will hold it against you too.

It's a rough spot to be in, what changed so dramatically from the time you signed your contract until the day you quit?

Dear friends, thank you for your answers and support.
I signed the PGY2-contract pretty early during the year, in November 2016; to be honest I have always thought that with more than 3 months notice I would have been able to resign without any problem...that's why I signed without making a big deal out of it...
I mean there are hundreds of applicants for PGY1 and the program also have 2 great preliminaries ready to jump up to PGY2...

I realized that the program is an IMG trap, where you work ALL the time, with just a few hours to sleep, with a lot of scutwork and almost 0 education...
My dream is to join a residency program with some education, a university one, that is why I came to America!

What do you think?

Dear friends, thank you for your answers and support.
I signed the PGY2-contract pretty early during the year, in November 2016; to be honest I have always thought that with more than 3 months notice I would have been able to resign without any problem...that's why I signed without making a big deal out of it...
I mean there are hundreds of applicants for PGY1 and the program also have 2 great preliminaries ready to jump up to PGY2...

I realized that the program is an IMG trap, where you work ALL the time, with just a few hours to sleep, with a lot of scutwork and almost 0 education...
My dream is to join a residency program with some education, a university one, that is why I came to America!

What do you think?
I think that whether or not they are unfair in schedule is almost irrelevant. They are the place that gave yoy a shot and if you were really competitive for other places you would have matched elsewhere. Now you haven't got more competitive and you have a PD who dislikes you.

It's going to be rough. I hope you find a solution but when they said you had to stay another year or they would trash your reference, you should have believed them

I'm making some assumptions, so I apologize if they are wrong. It sounds like you are a preliminary resident and you were offered another year, PGY-2, as preliminary (non-categorical) status. You seem to understand that for many people, this can become a dead-end road.

We have such a program at my institution, and the PGY-2 preliminary residents are worked incredibly hard with tons of night shifts and extra rotation on busy services to allow categorical residents more educational/research time. It stinks, but no one is forcing you to continue on and you have a major checkbox next to your name having completed an internship. You are right, you can move forward into many PGY-2 spots with your training. But you are also correct in those programs will absolutely want to speak with your PD or at least have a letter from him or her.

Your best option going forward will probably be to sit down with your PD and discuss your reasons for not wanting to stay on another year and what your interests are going forward. While the prelim program is very rough at my place, the PD is very, very reasonable and understanding (and just trying to find coverage for the various services, unfortunately). Most PDs out there aren't heartless meanies looking to screw over trainees. You will need some sort of blessing from him/her before going forward because all that individual needs to say to another program is that you are a liability to quit residency at any time for any reason. True or not, that would be enough for many programs not to take you.

Dear friends,

What do you think guys?
Was the PGY-2 categorical or prelim?

Without a PD letter, you aren't getting a university sort, it just isn't going to happen.

I am doing a PGY1 categorical and the PGY2 position would have been categorical as well...
They did not treat me worse than all the other intern and residents, we are all abused: working as many hours as possible without any education, it's a nightmare and I think that quitting before starting PGY2 would have been better than quitting during PGY2, and I was expecting some rewarding for that...like an act of understanding by my PD...
I fell into the trap because I accepted a pre-match offer, even though I had few interviews in good universities that later on called me because they could not find my name listed in the match any more...

I am a strong applicant for a residency in USA; I just did the mistake of signing the prematch first and then also the PGY2 contract...

Is there a residency not abusive in USA? I mean I understand working very hard, but there has to be some space left for education and also for psycological well being...we are in USA come on guys!

I am doing a PGY1 categorical and the PGY2 position would have been categorical as well...
They did not treat me worse than all the other intern and residents, we are all abused: working as many hours as possible without any education, it's a nightmare and I think that quitting before starting PGY2 would have been better than quitting during PGY2, and I was expecting some rewarding for that...like an act of understanding by my PD...
I fell into the trap because I accepted a pre-match offer, even though I had few interviews in good universities that later on called me because they could not find my name listed in the match any more...

I am a strong applicant for a residency in USA; I just did the mistake of signing the prematch first and then also the PGY2 contract...

Is there a residency not abusive in USA? I mean I understand working very hard, but there has to be some space left for education and also for psycological well being...we are in USA come on guys!
If you were not being given didactic time, it is a violation of ACGME rules. If you were working more than an average of 80 hours a week in a given month, it is a violation of ACGME rules. University programs are usually going to work you about 80 hours a week with one day off, and you have to force a few hours of didactics in there as well. But it doesn't matter- no letter is likely going to bury you. You had a choice, don't sign the contract and take your chances, do sign the contract and honor your commitment, or give up on being a doctor in the United States. Apply broadly to try and get a PGY-2 spot, but don't expect to hear much. Good luck, in any case.

1) how many hours/wk
2) define "time for education"
3) and this sucks, not trying to be hard but you may have been a good candidate with med school grades/mcat....but now you are a candidate who broke contract and has an openly antagonistic PD. You aren't a good candidate anymore. You may be a great person, with great skills who would make a great doctor some day. And I hope someone gives you a shot. But on paper.....it isn't good
4) suck it up and get through>quitting.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1) how many hours/wk
2) define "time for education"
3) and this sucks, not trying to be hard but you may have been a good candidate with med school grades/mcat....but now you are a candidate who broke contract and has an openly antagonistic PD. You aren't a good candidate anymore. You may be a great person, with great skills who would make a great doctor some day. And I hope someone gives you a shot. But on paper.....it isn't good
4) suck it up and get through>quitting.

1- 83-85 hours/wk
2- there was supposed to be a morning a week for education, but you almost always have to cover a service so it is fake most of the time
3 and 4: ok I broke a contract, but they found a replacement in less than 24 hours...I do not think that I damaged the program in anyway...I gave more than 3 months notice I think it is enough...I did not kill anybody and all the attendings have very positive evaluations for me...

I just want to change hospital...do we have that right or are we all slaves abused and blackmailed?
In my opinion the PD should be forced to write an objective LOR mentioning the excellent clinical work that I did and that I wanted to quit because for my carreer goal a Univesity program is more appropriate for me.
We are talking about a PD who would rather keep an unhappy resident than hire a new one....come on guys it doesnt make sense,,,,this is USA the land of opportunity...it is not the land of blackmailing....

1- 83-85 hours/wk
2- there was supposed to be a morning a week for education, but you almost always have to cover a service so it is fake most of the time
3 and 4: ok I broke a contract, but they found a replacement in less than 24 hours...I do not think that I damaged the program in anyway...I gave more than 3 months notice I think it is enough...I did not kill anybody and all the attendings have very positive evaluations for me...

I just want to change hospital...do we have that right or are we all slaves abused and blackmailed?
In my opinion the PD should be forced to write an objective LOR mentioning the excellent clinical work that I did and that I wanted to quit because for my carreer goal a Univesity program is more appropriate for me.
We are talking about a PD who would rather keep an unhappy resident than hire a new one....come on guys it doesnt make sense,,,,this is USA the land of opportunity...it is not the land of blackmailing....
exactly what do you propose is the point of a contract?

Reactions: 2 users
my resident contract does not specify, unfortunattely, anu notice period. I think this is not fair and it may also be not legally valid. Any contract should specify this.
In my contract it is written: you can resign after the PD permission...
what is it jail? or work?

my resident contract does not specify, unfortunattely, anu notice period. I think this is not fair and it may also be not legally valid. Any contract should specify this.
unfortunately, as you are seeing here, the punishment for breaking contract is the other PDs close ranks and you get shut out

Again, I'm sorry your residency was crappy. I'm sorry you made a bad choice. I wish you well

I hope my sacrifice will serve as an example for every resident: we are not slaves and we are not supposed to be blackmailed.
Please all residents in USA, stand up for your rights!
DO NOT accept crappy and abusive situations, at anytime and for any reason.

I think maybe you are not quite understanding how you look on paper now. It seems from reading this that you thought that it would work out despite having signed a contract for PGY2. Unfortunately this fact does make it harder for you to switch hospitals. I won't go into the ways that this could have been handled differently because it doesn't matter now.

As others have said above, this doesn't make it impossible to find another position, but it does make it very difficult. You still have a right to apply - though pretty much every program is going to talk to your PD (I can't imagine one that wouldn't). Your only recourse is to talk honestly about your situation and you do have to address that you broke contract.

America may be the "land of opportunity" but it doesn't mean that you can slide into another job easily, particularly in your situation. You need to have a clear assessment of your situation and go forward intelligently. In no way right now is the program director obligated to proceed as you have outlined here.

1- 83-85 hours/wk

I think if you were American you would be able to break the contract easily because most labor contracts you can resign giving 90 days notice. However, because you are IMG on a visa you are not able to resign because you will have your visa rescinded and not be available to reapply.

I dont know how the other users said you were prelim or left some very worthless advice about the rules of ACGME when clearly most programs dont abide. It will be difficult.

Dear friends,

What do you think guys?

This is a terrible position to be in. You seem to be an international student which makes it even more difficult. I hope all goes well with you. I see a rough road ahead for you.

I think maybe you are not quite understanding how you look on paper now. It seems from reading this that you thought that it would work out despite having signed a contract for PGY2. Unfortunately this fact does make it harder for you to switch hospitals. I won't go into the ways that this could have been handled differently because it doesn't matter now.

As others have said above, this doesn't make it impossible to find another position, but it does make it very difficult. You still have a right to apply - though pretty much every program is going to talk to your PD (I can't imagine one that wouldn't). Your only recourse is to talk honestly about your situation and you do have to address that you broke contract.

America may be the "land of opportunity" but it doesn't mean that you can slide into another job easily, particularly in your situation. You need to have a clear assessment of your situation and go forward intelligently. In no way right now is the program director obligated to proceed as you have outlined here.

Thank you for your opinions. I think that my PD will give me a letter for 2018 but not for 2017, because he wants me to waste the year that I resigned for or because he wants that in the acme stats will appear that I resigned because I wanted to go back to my country and not because I wanted to transfer. Once he gives me a letter, I am not scared of the letter content....the program is famous for being crappy and the others PDs will congratulate me for having abandoned that place....paradoxically having resigned could also turn out to be a positive sign demonstrating strong character and courage and being conscious of my own value no matter what...

Last edited:
Thank you for your opinions. I think that my PD will give me a letter for 2018 but not for 2017, because he wants me to waste the year that I resigned for or because he wants that in the acme stats will appear that I resigned because I wanted to go back to my country and not because I wanted to transfer. Once he gives me a letter, I am not scared of the letter content....the program is famous for being crappy and the others PDs will congratulate me for having abandoned that place....paradoxically having resigned could also turn out to be a positive sign demonstrating strong character and courage and being conscious of my own value no matter what...
You are drifting into troll territory. You can't possibly believe this will be seen as a positive

Reactions: 9 users
Every state license, board licensure and job application will ask you if you had gaps in your training or if you resigned a residency post (or like language, basically asking if you left a residency program in the middle of the year) - you really don't want to answer "yes" on this for the rest of your career, just finish the year it's only 7 more weeks.

I hope for your sake that it works out the way you think it will, but I have a strong suspicion it won't. Give us an update when you've secured your second residency, I would like to see how this played out. Best of luck to you.

1- 83-85 hours/wk
Just FYI, this is in line with my residency, and most of the residencies that my medical school classmates completed. 83-85 hours a week is a really common work hour violation, and a lot of us had our didactic time eaten by clinical responsibilities when we were on inpatient services.

So, part of the reason why your post comes across so poorly is likely due to a language issue, so I'll give you a break in that regards. However, while some residency programs might be malignant and work you a lot, I hardly believe that anyone in residency is a slave. I think many IMGs/FMGs are not liked because of an attitude of entitlement. Think about this - you did your schooling in a different country, a program here in the USA is giving YOU a shot to be a practicing physician in the USA, probably one of the most desired professions and one of the most desired countries in the world to practice medicine. Reason why YOU and many other IMGs/FMGs try to match here, and you got that shot. Yet you choose to be entitled and talk about how you were *abused* and how you are a *slave.* Look dude, most programs will likely work you more than you'd like, and more programs will ask more of you than most of us feel is *fair.* Even in my rotations in a specialty like PM&R I frequently work more hours and put in more time with various things than I think I should, I have to study after rotations, I'm asked to do things by attendings that I don't think I should in terms of responsibility, etc. I along with my classmates are overworked. Most other residents in my institution outside of my specialty are also overworked. But at the end of the day, once I graduate, I have the possibility to work as a physcian in my chosen specialty, with countless opportunities. Do I always think things are fair? No. Do I frequently feel overworked? Yes.
So you had a great opportunity, of which many of your fellow IMGs/FMGs don't get, and you ridiculously said "No I don't like this hospital" and you quit. Really? It's absurd! I don't think even the average AMG with good scores would just "quit."
Your PD even told you that he did not want you to quit. What was more important - to put in another year or two (I'm assuming it was an IM residency??)and graduate and do what you want with your life and profession, or to talk about "unfairness" and being a slave and not be able to ever be a practicing physician in the US? You kind of made your choice.
There are thousands of qualified AMGs and IMGs/FMGs. Throwing away an opportunity like that was not a good choice.

Reactions: 2 users
well you didn't think this through (or discuss this with someone who could have advised you against leaving)...of course any place that you are looking to go to is going to want to see how you did and if you left in good standing...you have the right to make unwise choices, but you have to live with the consequences...this is not your PDs fault (though i'm sure you think so), but yours alone.

we have to many times do things we don't like...its called being an adult.

good luck in trying to find something...maybe you can make amends with your previous PD so they will at least give you a neutral letter.

1- 83-85 hours/wk

sure, the PD could certainly write an "objective" LoR, but all they would have to do is ask the PD "would you take this person back?" and they can just say no...it will speak volumes...

and actually, no, once you sign a contract you are legally bound to honor the contract, you break the contract, they can objectively say, you broke a legal contract...there is no judgement in saying that, but judgement will be made on that piece of information.

and (since you may not know the history of slaves in the US), no you are not a slave...you have the option (which you exercised) to not do the residency...it is not your right to have another place to go, if you don't like the prematch you accepted.

What are the documents that the current PD is forced, by law, to provide to the exiting intern, in cases like this one?
- objective LOR, summary competence evaluation?

Residency is not some normal job. Once you sign on, your needs no longer matter. You are a body for the program, your function is to do work, which they will teach you to perform along the way. If they lose that body, they will be upset, because they've sunk time into getting you up to speed in their hospital system and they've got to find a new person to replace you. Whether you feel you are better suited at a different program or not does not matter to them, and, furthermore, might be insulting to their PD to hear ("what, our program isn't good enough for you?").

The whole "land of opportunity" thing doesn't mean you get whatever you want, it means that you can work hard and achieve something no matter what hand you're dealt. Not achieve exactly what you want. Not have anything handed to you on a silver platter. The American way, in your particular situation, would have been "damn, my job sucks- can't wait till I can move on when this thing is over." Abusive and exploitative employers are the norm, but burning bridges with them can ruin your career, so playing nice and following through with commitments is required, even if those commitments are awful. My sister is a good example of this- signed up for a 3 year contract with a certain aerospace firm right out of school, hated every month she put in except one. Stuck with it, and ended up hired permanently by the one department that wasn't completely awful. If she'd walked, she'd be flipping burgers somewhere right now, most likely, because burning a bridge with a major engineering firm is akin to burning a bridge with a PD in medicine.

Reactions: 3 users
Resilience in the face of a bad program is seen as a strength, not abandoning one. There is a certain program in NYC with a reputation like that, whose grads fare well in the fellowship match because PDs know if you can survive that sweatshop, you can survive anything. If you walk, however... Well, you couldn't hack it there, what else can't you hack?

To the OP:

This is a tough situation. You are probably correct that other programs may have better education and less hours. For example, my program's intern year has 9 blocks of "inpatient" where you work 70-75 hours or so, and 4 blocks of "elective/outpatient" which is 8-5 M-F with no weekends. Plus, one afternoon a week is an "academic 1/2 day" for interns, where they are (mostly) removed from their clinical duties for teaching. Although my interns only log 70-75 hours, I expect some/many of them do some work from home in the EMR. Theoretically they are supposed to log that, but they probably don't. So perhaps it's more than 80 hours, or perhaps not.

But your situation, giving up your spot to look for something "better", is very risky. First, your PD is being a bit of a jerk saying that you have to leave for a whole year because you signed a PGY-2 contract. That's purely vindictive, and doesn't do anyone any good. But there's probably not much you can do about it.

Second, no one is likely to consider you without an evaluation from your current PD. Look at it from my angle -- PGY-2 builds upon PGY-1, so I want someone who learned what needs to be learned and is ready for PGY-2. If your reason for leaving is "they didn't teach us well", then how am I supposed to expect that you actually have the skills needed for a PGY-2? And after a year break, you're going to find it even harder to find a spot -- programs are going to worry (correctly) that your skills will have atrophied. Last, transferring at the beginning of the PGY-2 is just a hard transition in general -- you are now expected to supervise PGY-1 interns, but you don't know the hospital / system / EMR / etc and that makes it very difficult.

Perhaps you made a bad choice taking a prematch offer. Or, perhaps if you hadn't you would have not matched at all, and then agonize over the fact that you could have taken the spot. In any case, your best option was to complete the 3 year residency -- after that, you'd be free to do whatever you want in the US as a physician. Now you've created a situation where your whole career in the US is in jeopardy. Although I find your PD's behavior, as described by you, as disappointing, I can understand it. You basically told them that they had a crappy program and you'd rather just go somewhere else. You had signed the PGY-2 contract, perhaps they had someone else in mind that they didn't take because you took the spot, and now they are unavailable. Yes, they filled your spot -- but perhaps with someone that they are not excited about. They were probably insulted (rightly or wrongly), and now don't care what happens to you.

What are the documents that the current PD is forced, by law, to provide to the exiting intern, in cases like this one?
- objective LOR, summary competence evaluation?

Employment law only requires that you confirm dates and position, and I believe the circumstances of termination (i.e. resigning vs being fired for cause vs position eliminated etc). That's all.

ACGME requires that when a resident moves from one program to another, there be a handoff from one PD to another regarding performance. But that's only after a new position has been accepted.

No PD wants to inherit someone else's problem resident, hence a letter from your current/old program is often required -- but there's no rule about this.

Reactions: 5 users