A Cheap Way to travel to the Islands?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

backdoc

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am planning a trip down to the Carribean to visit some of the medical schools I am interested in attending.

Does anybody have any knowledge about cheap flights or other travel options from the US which won't break my wallet as well as options for travelling from island to island.

Most of the flight packages I have seen thus far seem to be targeted towards tourists who have mucho dinero to spend.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure how long your planning on taking or where all you are looking to go but I know that once you get to the carribean you can travel island to island east of PR for rather cheap with Caribbean Star. If you have a few days to play with you can try and get standby spots from island to island and these can be VERY cheap. Also go to a travel agent at your first stop and see if they can book the rest for you as they get better inner island deals then the state agents do. Check out Carribean Star and Liat's webpages and see if that helps you get any better deals.

I agree with drkp, but I can only vouch for LIAT (Leave Island Any Time, Luggage In Another Terminal - really "Leeward Islands Air Transport"). It was really reasonable. Be on time, though - they will NOT wait for you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
And I only ever flew with Caribbean Star. Flies mostly the same routes as Liat and are newer so the planes are still nice though small. Tend to have cute flight attendents too.:cool:

Guys,

I want to travel to Antigua because they "claim" to offer so-called "advanced standing" to members of my current profession (Don't worry I am well aware of all the potential risks and pitfalls associated with this endeavor, I just want to hear their side of the story) as well as St George's and Ross.

Altogether I have about a week to spend at the end of November.

Does LIAT or Carribean Star travel from the US, or do you have to take one of the traditional airlines (American, Delta etc.) to Puerto Rico etc. and then transfer on to these local carriers?

What is the cheapest way to actually get down to the Carribean besides making a raft out of discarded milk jugs and setting sail from Miami? LOL

Thanks for the help

I'm pretty certain that you need to take a "major" carrier to one of the hubs (San Juan or Barbados). When I travel to SGU, I usually take US Air or American to Barbados, and then LIAT to Grenada.

Depending on your location, you may also wish to check Jet Blue. I know they fly to San Juan, and you may be able to book a connecting flight from there.

I'd also like to contribute to the acronym fun:

BWIA (British West Indies Air) = Bound to Wait In Airport!

Good Luck!

Brian