A bold statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blazenmadison

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading an Optometric Management article written by Dr. Kattouff, a consultant. He compares the declining optical revenue to contact lenses. At the end of the article he states,

"My prediction is that within five years, private practice O.D. S will have a very small optical department, or none at all. What action should you take in light of declining optical revenues? The answer is: Create new profit centers, or expand existing ones. This would include recommending and selling nutraceuticals, maximizing your medical license, getting your medical fee structure to ophthalmology's level and incorporating optometric specialties, such as low vision, orthoptics, developmental vision, computer vision or corneal refractive therapy in your practice."

Rest of the article can be found here: http://www.optometric.com/article.aspx?article=104827

Considering ~50% of gross income in private practice is from optical sales... what is left for private practice?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that's true at all.

If you know the business, you know the errors the chains are making and you can exploit those errors to your advantage.

Examples are treating your staff like human beings and using positive reinforcement during training. Train them right. Cater to patient needs, not what products yield the highest profit margins. It's not about numbers, it's about people.

Like ... don't sell a concrete layer AR coat! I work for an optical chain (a situation that I hope to vacate within a year or two) and the corporate people at the top want EVERY patient in AR. This is idiocy.

The little old ladies like the big pink plastic frames that chains won't carry because they're not trendy enough.

The older gentleman want good, solid, big aviator frames. The chains are carrying fewer of those because it doesn't fit the tastes of the metrosexual male.

People want eye exams, not five to ten minute, rushed refractions! And you can keep your eye exam prices low to match the chain prices. I think there are discounts we're allowed to give to cash paying patients. You might research that.

CTL patients can always use a backup pair of glasses. They also can always use a plano pair of sunglasses because of the increased light sensitivity they cause.

And hey, if you're recommending your AMD patients wear a hat, then sell hats. There are a lot of really COOL sunhats out there.

When I have my own practice someday, that's what I'm gonna do. I think the person who wrote this article is wrong.

People want eye exams, not five to ten minute, rushed refractions! And you can keep your eye exam prices low to match the chain prices. I think there are discounts we're allowed to give to cash paying patients. You might research that.

Why would you want to do THAT?

I also disagree with the notion that people don't want 5-10 minute exams.

Yes, people certainly don't want to be/feel rushed. But with just a bit of tech support, you can easily do a quality thorough eye exam and still have time left over for chit chat about the kids in 10 minutes.

Patients don't want to feel rushed but let me assure you that they also don't want to spend an hour and a half in your office. Maybe the little old ladies who like to show up at 7:15 for their 8:30 appointments do, but 99% of patients out there have busy lives and would like to get back to them as soon as possible.