9 more weeks.......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radonc2011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nine more weeks until the replacements come.....if they only knew what they were in for....

After 9 more weeks I'll never again have to admit at 3am another full code 99yo with COPD, CHF, dementia, h/o CABG x20, in respiratory distress with a family that just wants you to "fix him/her"....the joys of prelim medicine.

Please hurry replacements!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately my last two months are ward months with q4 call. But, then its on to anesthesiology where I will never have to admit again!!!!!!!!! There is a light at the end of the tunnel and it gets brighter every day. :D

My last call night as intern isn't until last part of May but it will be nice to have this year over with. Are you guys feeling ready to be R2 now? Soon we will have people asking us what to do! Yikes!

My last call of internship was (unbelievably) in early March. This weekend is my last weekend of internship. My last two rotations are two electives that also includes 10 days of vacation.

That faint glimmer at the end of the tunnel is about to become a huge spotlight.

i've probably q3 call for the whole last month of june. stupid colorectal call too with super high maintenance patients. grrr. can't wait till it's over.

ditto.

Will I become angry, exhausted, and bitter by the end of the year too? Guess I should enjoy my relatively upbeat outlook on life right now, while I still can. ;)

You think you'll last until the end of the year? Wait until after your first one or two call months...

It's really not all THAT bad. Just very tiring, and frequently irritating.

cheers!

jd

3 more weeks left!!!!

I don't know about you, but my 'ternship doesn't end until 6/30. That makes 4 weeks by my calculations (6/30 - 6/2 = 28 days = 4 full weeks :mad:).

Maybe you're done on the 23rd though?

jd

I don't know about you, but my 'ternship doesn't end until 6/30. That makes 4 weeks by my calculations (6/30 - 6/2 = 28 days = 4 full weeks :mad:).

Maybe you're done on the 23rd though?

jd

Whether 3 weeks or 4, it's better than the T-16 days that keeps pounding my head right now. Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
meh, you'll be fine. They won't let you kill too many people ;)

jd

I'll try to remember your comment during my first code as an intern, at 3 am, on July fourth, with only agency nurses covering (unlikely, but if it happens, it will be to me). Enjoy your PGY2!

I'll try to remember your comment during my first code as an intern, at 3 am, on July fourth, with only agency nurses covering (unlikely, but if it happens, it will be to me). Enjoy your PGY2!

you know what? If someone is stupid enough to code at 3am on july 4th, they deserve what they get. Just kidding of course. The one thing to remember is, WHEN AT A CARDIAC ARREST, THE FIRST THING TO DO IS TO CHECK YOUR OWN PULSE. Thank you Fat Man :)

BTW, the nurses are probably all that will save your @ss!

jd

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread since there are just over 9 weeks until I'm done with my prelim medicine year :)

OH CRUD...:eek::eek::eek::eek: It's that time of year again!

I need to start remembering to go on vacation the month of July...

We not only have new interns...but 3 nursing schools that churn out fresh GN's at the same time:scared::scared::scared:

Yikes. The disharmonic convergence of new nursing grads plus new interns. I'm glad we're a closed shop and don't take new grads...ever.

Hey all. Congrats to the graduating med students (soon to be called doctor) and the soon to be R-2s. You made it!!! That light you are seeing really is the end of the tunnel and not a big bad locomotive steaming at you full force.

As of today I am 14 months and 1 week away from making much bigger bucks than right now. Can't wait!!! I am so tired of being broke all the time and eating cafeteria food:barf: Good luck all.

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread since there are just over 9 weeks until I'm done with my prelim medicine year :)

2 calls (including today) and 3 weeks (from yesterday) left before my vacation and big move for CA-1 year!

I have had a countdown since July 1, 2007. I have methodically checked off every single day on my calendar one at a time...as each day of this year has passed...I just kept telling myself.."that makes one less day I have to go back there!"

When I look back (not fondley in the least) on my 9 call months and working every holiday this year but one and all the crap in general...I just thank God that I made it this far and I am sure that for the most part...we all feel the same: tired, lucky, exasperated and excited!

Good Luck and congrats to all my fellow PGY-1s who have earned their stripes

2 calls (including today) and 3 weeks (from yesterday) left before my vacation and big move for CA-1 year!

My internship program, for whatever reason, thought it'd be a great idea to put three out of the four prelims on a floor rotation the very last rotation of the year, which officially ends June 23. My orientation for my next program starts on June 26. I'm not looking forward to this hectic transition, but will certainly be much happier once I'm settled down in my new city and program.

My internship program, for whatever reason, thought it'd be a great idea to put three out of the four prelims on a floor rotation the very last rotation of the year, which officially ends June 23. My orientation for my next program starts on June 26. I'm not looking forward to this hectic transition, but will certainly be much happier once I'm settled down in my new city and program.

The only reason I have time to move is because I was lucky enough to get the last 2 weeks of June as my vacation time. My program doesn't end until June 30th...and I have friends who work all the way to the end and have to be in different cities on July 1st!

How can they do this you ask? Because they can...it's as simple as that! :)

Four more evenings of night float then off to outpatient vacation land for four weeks. Last day is June 25th, pack up the Uhaul on the 26th and off to CA1. Wait...there goes my pager. Someone must need some vicodin. Gotta go

Hey all. Congrats to the graduating med students (soon to be called doctor) and the soon to be R-2s. You made it!!! That light you are seeing really is the end of the tunnel and not a big bad locomotive steaming at you full force.

I assume the bolded part applies only to the soon-to-be R2's? :D

T-6 weeks 'till I come in with the rest of the new 'terns...already starting to see that train bearing down on me full force! :scared:

Seriously, congrats to everyone who's made it through their PGY-1 year...I look forward to the day I can say sayonara to the rectal exams and crap pages at 3 AM!!

18 days.
Of course, getting to be a PGY-1(redux) doesn't excite me much. At least now I get to do what I really wanted to do to begin with.

15 more days, and after tonight, just 2 more calls until internship year is OVER!! :)

3 calls to go. admitted a 105yo last night, christ i cant wait for this to be over.

Last overnight call of internship year! Then I'm off on Friday, come back on Saturday for short call, and then I'm done!

50 more weeks baby! YEA!!!

Time to bring this baby back up to say one more week of vacation, two days of work, and only one more overnight call for the rest of my life!

Nine more weeks until the replacements come.....if they only knew what they were in for....

After 9 more weeks I'll never again have to admit at 3am another full code 99yo with COPD, CHF, dementia, h/o CABG x20, in respiratory distress with a family that just wants you to "fix him/her"....the joys of prelim medicine.

Please hurry replacements!

Many of us know what we're in for and we know how to cut corners with the best of them.

We'll be just fine :thumbup:

Many of us know what we're in for and we know how to cut corners with the best of them.

We'll be just fine :thumbup:

I agree. I don't know why so many people in medicine think just b/c they found something stressful/difficult that everyone else will too.

Before I started med school, "wait till you start med school..you will have no life, no sleep." So I finally started and actually did very well 1st year. Not stressed at all.

At the end of my 1st year, I overheard a few 2nd years "wait until 2nd year, it's so much harder." So I started 2nd and finished 2nd year. And still did very well. Hardly stressful if you ask me. Then boards, then 3rd year, etc etc. All went well and I enjoyed the process very much.

Oh, and the number of horror stories I heard about internship! haha. Well, I just finished intern year 2 days ago. Guys, it wasn't bad at all. Honestly. You learn so much and really grow as a physician. Even though IM is not my field, I still enjoyed it very much.

I'm of the belief that if I can do, so can anyone else. G'luck guys!