88.6% ACCEPTANCE rate to RX school FALL 2021?? Rumor-True or False?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quickpic007

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Browsing reddit and came across that 88.6% of applicants are accepted fall 2021. Only 11,520 students began rx school in fall 2021. Assuming ~10% drop out/fail/quit/cannot pass naplex,mpje,cpje, we are down quite a few from the 15/16 peak.

Can anyone confirm? 88.6% acceptance is shameful, but it is just business.

One of my "nearby" schools is down over 50% from their peak so I think it might be true...

Members don't see this ad.

the acceptance rate for 2017-2018 was 82.7% Would not be surprised if went up

Reactions: 1 user
Official report will be AACP...don't know if it has been released.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that across all schools? Jesus when I got my acceptance to Rutgers there were thousands of applications for the 300 initial spots. And hundreds of applications for the 30ish transfer slots.

I only see data thus far for the 2020 entering class (based solely on PharmCAS applicants): 86.8%

2019 - 2020 PharmCAS Applicant Data Report

1641789972535.png

Only 11,520? That's 11,520 more pharmDs than needed.

Reactions: 3 users
Looks like it has practically been open enrollment since 2013-2014. Whatever. I'm almost out of the "profession" for good.

Reactions: 5 users
Seems low to me. Does anyone actually know anyone who applied to pharmacy school that didn't get it? My guess is the 12% or so who weren't admitted, decided not to pay their admission deposit or something.

Reactions: 2 users
Seems low to me. Does anyone actually know anyone who applied to pharmacy school that didn't get it? My guess is the 12% or so who weren't admitted, decided not to pay their admission deposit or something.

Nope but a few people who posted here got accepted without even applying to pharmacy school. Medical, dental and physical therapy rejects, I believe.

I talked one of my technicians out of going to pharmacy school. She was definitely serious about trying for it until I discussed the statistics and student loan debt. And maybe I'm judging a little too early because she is still in high school, but I also highly doubt that she would be a good pharmacist. Her problem-solving skills, ability to independently learn, and keeping a cool head, are all very limited (as seems to be the case with most of my techs). But anyway, this isn't the first time I've talked someone out of pharmacy, and my point is that these are the kids who are going to pharmacy school these days.

That's dangerously high acceptance rate though.
The vast majority of those kiddos probably have no idea what the job entails and going balls deep into student loans.

That's dangerously high acceptance rate though.
The vast majority of those kiddos probably have no idea what the job entails and going balls deep into student loans.
and then they fail miserably in their career