7 Year Old DUI and W's 3.76 GPA and 23 DAT Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caroline.xvii

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am applying next cycle. I will have my masters in economics with a minor in biology. My GPA is 3.76, my DAT score is a 23, I have 200 hours of shadowing experience, I volunteer every Sunday at my town's family service bureau, I have volunteered at my local dental school (Rutgers Dental School, I am a Rutgers Newark Student), and I am the treasurer of Project Dental All for two years in row .

Here is the bad: in 2013 after my close friend committed suicide in my apartment (long story), it was a very traumatic experience. I was only 21 and didn't have proper coping mechanisms and turned to alcohol. Due to this I got a DUI. I was worried this misdemeanor would ruin my chances of being accepted. On top of that I suffer with moderate migraines and last semester they became severe. I needed to take a semester off in order to find the proper combination of medication that would alleviate the chronic nature of the migraines. Which has been working really well so far. Because of my health struggle I have 8 W's, 5 from last semester and 3 from my sophomore and junior years. I am registered with the office of disability services now and am doing really well. I wished I reached out for help and treatment options sooner. I am extremely motivated and decided getting my M.A. in economics was a good fall back, plus gave me more time to prove myself. I got a C+ in gen chem I & II but A's in both Orgo I & II, with A's in all other pre-reqs.

I am interested in knowing where I stand. I am of course worried that I have too many negative points. I thought the DUI was going to be my one hurdle that I was going to have to explain, but now I have the onset of severe migraines (which is better now that I am on medication) and it worries me.

Thank you kindly for any and all feedback!

Caroline

I forgot to mention that I also have conducted research.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
be upfront about everything, and you should still be competitive

Hi!

I am applying next cycle. I will have my masters in economics with a minor in biology. My GPA is 3.76, my DAT score is a 23, I have 200 hours of shadowing experience, I volunteer every Sunday at my towns family service bureau, I have volunteered at my local dental school (Rutgers Dental School, I am a Rutgers Newark Student), and I am the treasurer of Project Dental All for two years in row .

Here is the bad: in 2013 after my close friend committed suicide in my apartment (long story), it was a very traumatic experience. I was only 21 and didn't have proper coping mechanisms and turned to alcohol. Due to this I got a DUI. I was worried this misdemeanor would ruin my chances of being accepted. On top of that I suffer with moderate migraines and last semester they became severe. I needed to take a semester off in order to find the proper combination of medication that would alleviate the chronic nature of the migraines. Which has been working really well so far. Because of my health struggle I have 8 W's, 5 from last semester and 3 from my sophomore and junior years. I am registered with the office of disability services now and am doing really well. I wished I reached out for help and treatment options sooner. I am extremely motivated and decided getting my M.A. in economics was a good fall back, plus gave me more time to prove myself. I got a C+ in gen chem I & II but A's in both Orgo I & II, with A's in all other pre-reqs.

I am interested in knowing where I stand. I am of course worried that I have too many negative points. I thought the DUI was going to be my one hurdle that I was going to have to explain, but now I have the onset of severe migraines (which is better now that I am in medication) and it worries me.

Caroline

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!

I am applying next cycle. I will have my masters in economics with a minor in biology. My GPA is 3.76, my DAT score is a 23, I have 200 hours of shadowing experience, I volunteer every Sunday at my town's family service bureau, I have volunteered at my local dental school (Rutgers Dental School, I am a Rutgers Newark Student), and I am the treasurer of Project Dental All for two years in row .

I am interested in knowing where I stand. I am of course worried that I have too many negative points. I thought the DUI was going to be my one hurdle that I was going to have to explain, but now I have the onset of severe migraines (which is better now that I am on medication) and it worries me.

Continue on your medication regimen and keep your issues under control as much as possible.

Be appropriately contrite about your DUI.

What are your application metrics? I applaud you for your master's degree, but given your description of grades with two C+ and 8 W's, I want to be sure you have calculated your oGPA correctly. Also what are your undergraduate-only GPA's and your BCPM?

Reactions: 1 user
Continue on your medication regimen and keep your issues under control as much as possible.

Be appropriately contrite about your DUI.

What are your application metrics? I applaud you for your master's degree, but given your description of grades with two C+ and 8 W's, I want to be sure you have calculated your oGPA correctly. Also what are your undergraduate-only GPA's and your BCPM?

Thank you for the feedback. I am in a B.A./M.A. accelerated master's program for economics and so far my overall GPA with 92 credits so far is 3.76. I have gotten pretty much all A's in everything else with the occasional B+ (not in any pre-reqs though minus gen chem 1 & 2). My BCPM is 3.61, the extra bio classes for my minor definitely have boosted it.

Last edited: