6 year ortho programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GuP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have been curious lately about the 5+1 research year ortho programs. I was wondering how one goes about finding a list of these. I couldn't find em on Freida and I don't know where else to look. Someone assisit!

Members don't see this ad.

Have been curious lately about the 5+1 research year ortho programs. I was wondering how one goes about finding a list of these. I couldn't find em on Freida and I don't know where else to look. Someone assisit!

Go to the webpages of the programs you are interested (from frieda or just google) and most will list them. The ones I know of are:

Ohio State University (1 spot)
U Penn (2 spots)
NYU-HJD (requires prior pHD or at least 1 substantial full year of research during medical school)
Penn State (they have 2 different tracks)

I'm sure there are plenty more. Good luck.

sscooterguy

Go to the webpages of the programs you are interested (from frieda or just google) and most will list them. The ones I know of are:

U Penn (2 spots)
NYU-HJD (requires prior pHD or at least 1 substantial full year of research during medical school)

I'm sure there are plenty more. Good luck.

sscooterguy

Thanks. I will do this soon. I was wondering if you knew whether these programs were easier to get into than regular ortho tracks. I would think that b/c of the extra year they might not be too popular...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if you knew whether these programs were easier to get into than regular ortho tracks. I would think that b/c of the extra year they might not be too popular...

Frankly, most people apply for as many spots as they can afford to, including the 6 year spots. In the big picture, these spots are not "easier" to get into. While applicants who have interviewed for both the 5 and 6 year slots will probably rank the 5 year program higher than the 6, most of these positions are in programs that are otherwise pretty competitive (i.e. more difficult to get an interview with in the first place).

SLU has a 5+1 program. They take 3 per year, trying to get approval for a fourth resident per year. A very good program. If you think you might be interested in trauma, it is a great place to be.

Wake Forest has a 7 year program. (5+2). Supposed to be as hard, or harder to get into than the 5 year deal.

BU has a 6yr track.
UNC has a 6yr track.
UVA has a 6yr track.
The 7 year Wake Forest track is easier to get than a regular ortho spot. 6 year tracks are hard to get but 7 year tracks are still considered back doors into ortho by some.

List so Far:
BU has a 6yr track.
UNC has a 6yr track.
UVA has a 6yr track.
Wake Forest has a 7 year program
West Va has a 6 yr track for one of their 3 spots
SLU has a 5+1 program. They take 3 per year
Umass has 2 out of their 4
U Penn (2 spots)
Pittsburgh has I believe 5 spots of their 10
Cleveland Clinic is a 6 year program