551 COMLEX (no USMLE), PM&R vs. ACGME IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoReMiFaSo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title spells out my front runners, but since I am a OMSIII, I'm keeping a very open mind...

I initially thought my COMLEX would be competitive enough for PM&R. But after some digging, there are PM&R programs that require a MINIMUM COMLEX of 550 to apply (ex: UPMC at Pitt. Source = Freida). That really scared me since I very barely made that min bar.

Since my initial expectation regarding PM&R didn't match up with my research, I wanna inquire about my IM chance as well. Is it foolish and a total waste of $ to apply for ACGME IM with my score with no USMLE on board?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh hell no dude, UPMC is a competitive program and not representative of the average competitiveness of PM&R programs. A 550 is enough to land you into some program, if PM&R interests you.

I'm pretty sure you can land into at least a communo-university IM program with your COMLEX. I don't know as to how competitive your are exactly though.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought your score was around 500. What is your score so we can get a gauge of how competitive you are (if you don't mind me asking?).

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know much about PM&R, but UPMC isn't a good benchmark program to look at. 551 isn't super competitive, but it's enough for PM&R somewhere, especially if the rest of your application is solid. Same with IM-- maybe not enough for the academic places, but I think it could get you community IM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Title spells out my front runners, but since I am a OMSIII, I'm keeping a very open mind...

I initially thought my COMLEX would be competitive enough for PM&R. But after some digging, there are PM&R programs that require a MINIMUM COMLEX of 550 to apply (ex: UPMC at Pitt. Source = Freida). That really scared me since I very barely made that min bar.

Since my initial expectation regarding PM&R didn't match up with my research, I wanna inquire about my IM chance as well. Is it foolish and a total waste of $ to apply for ACGME IM with my score with no USMLE on board?
This might help (and my school sends tons of people to ACGME IM too):

Attachments

• NRMP-2016-Program-Director-Survey.pdf
    663.1 KB · Views: 86