53% average on Kaplan QBank, will I pass Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drstudychick

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm averaging 52-55% on Kaplan QBank, I've studied about 7 weeks, and my grades aren't getting better. I started with an average in the low 40s, and it's only increased to the low/mid 50s. Is a low 50s average on QBank good enough to pass Step 1?

Thanks. I'm not feeling good about things. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm averaging 52-55% on Kaplan QBank, I've studied about 7 weeks, and my grades aren't getting better. I started with an average in the low 40s, and it's only increased to the low/mid 50s. Is a low 50s average on QBank good enough to pass Step 1?

Thanks. I'm not feeling good about things. Please help!

I definitely wouldn't take Step 1 with a 52-55% passing rate on Kaplan Q Bank. Seriously, in my opinion, Kaplan Q Bank questions are much more difficult than the actual exam itself. That, however, doesn't mean that you will pass with a 52-55% Kaplan test avg. If you could it 65-70% with Kaplan, then you will have a very, very strong possibility of passing Step I.

Have you taken any of the NBME exams?

(As a side note, I did not take any of the NBME Exams, and relied solely on my performance from the Kaplan Q Bank. When my average was consistently high, I then decided to take the exam, knowing that I would pass).

I wish you the best :)

I took it yesterday and it was hard. 300 q's at a time, in a uncomfortable chair wasn't helpful, but I'm so glad it's over.... for now at least. I really hope I don't have to take it again, but I don't know.

There were a lot of, "What the....?" questions, and then there were a lot of biochem pathway questions that I just didn't know, and some straightforward questions that I was pretty sure I could answer and move on. I just hope I don't have to take it again. Thanks for all of you who were encouraging me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it yesterday and it was hard. 300 q's at a time, in a uncomfortable chair wasn't helpful, but I'm so glad it's over.... for now at least. I really hope I don't have to take it again, but I don't know.

There were a lot of, "What the....?" questions, and then there were a lot of biochem pathway questions that I just didn't know, and some straightforward questions that I was pretty sure I could answer and move on. I just hope I don't have to take it again. Thanks for all of you who were encouraging me.

I ended up finishing qbank with the exact same average that you did: 53%. My actual step 1 score was 223. I think it's safe to say that getting in the low 50s on qbank doesn't mean that you'll fail the boards. My advice to you is try not to think about the test. Just work hard on your rotations and party like crazy once you see your passing score:luck:

I ended up finishing qbank with the exact same average that you did: 53%. My actual step 1 score was 223. I think it's safe to say that getting in the low 50s on qbank doesn't mean that you'll fail the boards. My advice to you is try not to think about the test. Just work hard on your rotations and party like crazy once you see your passing score:luck:

Ditto that. I got around 55%, 60% total in the end because I did a bunch of tutor mode. Got above national average. Qbank is just tough

I passed with a 201!!! I'm so happy I can't stand it! Finished all of Kaplan QBank with an overall average of 54%, and failed two NBME practice exams (Form 2 and 3) with a 300. I failed the first with a month left to study, but then I got the exact same score, this time with form 3 a week before the real thing, and I was just gutted... but I had to take it, and I got a 201!!! It feels awesome! Thanks for the encouragement:laugh:

I passed with a 201!!! I'm so happy I can't stand it! Finished all of Kaplan QBank with an overall average of 54%, and failed two NBME practice exams (Form 2 and 3) with a 300. I failed the first with a month left to study, but then I got the exact same score, this time with form 3 a week before the real thing, and I was just gutted... but I had to take it, and I got a 201!!! It feels awesome! Thanks for the encouragement:laugh:

:thumbup:
Congratulations, and well done!

hah! Congratulations!

You know, its interesting. The people at Kaplan Qbank boards (their official advisors, not other students) mentioned that a 65% qbank would be the minimum you want to feel "comfortable about passing", but that never really made much sense to me since the national average listed is hovering around 60% (yes, I'm sure there are a few boneheads out there that skewer the average by doing questions cold turkey). That would mean that over half the people using qbank was doomed to fail. Oh well... I suppose they could be using scare tactics into forcing their users to strive for higher than average scores (either that or just make people delay their exam and extend their qbank subscriptions... :rolleyes:).

ive been having similar issues on Qbank and UWorld, in fact I just did 3 random sets of 50 q's on UW, got 54% correct on each exam set (27/50 every time)!!! so I think I am heading down the same road you did, I only hope I can execute on test day like you did! congrats

ive been having similar issues on Qbank and UWorld, in fact I just did 3 random sets of 50 q's on UW, got 54% correct on each exam set (27/50 every time)!!! so I think I am heading down the same road you did, I only hope I can execute on test day like you did! congrats
yea its crazy. I am in the same shoes. My score fluctuates between 50 and 70 in UW. I dont' understand what i am doing wrong. very very frustrating. I have 6 weeks left but I hope I can pull it together.

quoting this post for baps ...
very motivational ! :)

I wanted to follow-up on the original post, as I've been getting lots of emails recently from the new round of people studying for the monster. I've had a year to reflect on my STEP 1 experience and I have a few things to say:

1) It won't predict how you do 3rd year, and that's important, although hard to think about at the preclinical stage of the game. I've gotten honors and a high passes in all my clinical rotations, and my SHELF scores have been above our school's average (our school traditionally does much better than the national average).

2) Make a schedule at the beginning of your time and stick to it... if anyone wants the original one I made, I will send it to you, just message me. Really do not push the test back... in hindsight, if I had taken the test when it was originally scheduled, I would probably have done just as well (as evidenced by the fact that I got the same score on practice NBMEs both the original test date and again a month later four days before the day I actually took it).

3) For those of you worried about passing, leave at least 5 weeks to study... schedule the first 4 weeks meticulously, and leave the last week for just questions and 'catch-up' study. The most important thing for your schedule is to leave at the very least a few days at the end to just do questions....

If anyone wants more advice post relfection, just reply to the message and I'll spend some time thinking about it...

Reactions: 1 user
Heyy I have been reading this forum for awhile now and I just took my exam yesterday. So, it definitely was not as bad as my friends had told me. I was told there is a chance I will know 10 questions per section so they scared me BIG TIME. Plus, my NBME scores were pretty borderline (high fail/low pass range). So anyways, I went in for the exam thinking it was gonna go horribly but I just realized I couldn't study anymore...but it wasn't as bad as I imagined. I knew about half the questions per section and then hopefully guessed well. I was wondering from ppl who have taken it and gotten scores...if I knew about 25-27 questions per section for sure...do I have a good chance of passing? I know it won't be a phenomenal score, but I wanna put this test behind me now. Let me know your thoughts. I have 3 weeks and it's much better to think you fail and then surprisingly pass than the other way around...:eek: Thanks guys for any help!

What do you think is the minimum you need on QBank to pass Step1?

According to Kaplan, a 50% average equates to a 211 on Step 1. They don't have data below that, probably because below 50% they're not hitting a consistent enough mark to give a certain score with confidence.

I don't know what it is, but I consistently score on par with the average in Qbank, Rx, UWorld....but when I take a "form" I do below passing. BUT, somehow, I scored a 200 on the CBSE before I left school (but I still scored below passing on the 2 forms I took before the CBSE).

Anyone ever feel like they just don't "kick it into gear" until they're put under pressure? I'm starting feel like that guy from "Wanted" :laugh:

Seriously though, does this happen to anyone else? I feel like I remember a lot of things when I know my "life" depends on it (example - if we didn't pass the CBSE with a 185 or up, we had to repeat an entire semester).

I feel like the OP. NBME 340 (175) UW sample (186) UW avg 62% (44-82) WTF? I think I am going to fail.

So I took Step I on Mon. Wanted to score well 230+, but after taking it, I hope I pass. There were so many questions I felt iffy about. The nail biting begins. Anyone can give me words of encouragement, or just plain lie to me?

1. something like 95% of medical students pass.
2. have more beer.
3. realize that some poor souls still have to sit for it (2-12-09).
4. have more beer.

Congratulations bro!

So I took Step I on Mon. Wanted to score well 230+, but after taking it, I hope I pass. There were so many questions I felt iffy about. The nail biting begins. Anyone can give me words of encouragement, or just plain lie to me?

We're all in the same boat, haha. I vacillate between praying for a 99 and hoping I just pass.