53% average on Kaplan QBank, will I pass Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drstudychick

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm averaging 52-55% on Kaplan QBank, I've studied about 7 weeks, and my grades aren't getting better. I started with an average in the low 40s, and it's only increased to the low/mid 50s. Is a low 50s average on QBank good enough to pass Step 1?

Thanks. I'm not feeling good about things. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 10 days left. I've read and reread FirstAid, annotated it, and used other books to supplement. Now I'm going through questions, figuring out why I missed them, and doing more questions. I'm 70% through QBank. I should finish QBank, and be able to review my missed answers before I take Step1. Think I have a shot at passing? Any suggestions as to how to use these last 10 days more efficiently?

I did fine in the first two years of med school, and I'm at a top 25 school in the US. I don't really understand why I'm having so much difficulty, execpt for the volume. I find I'm forgetting things I had memorized 6 weeks ago. And then there's just some things I still have no idea about.

Thanks for your advice.

I've started doing blocks of 30-50 questions with a combo of unused and incorrect questoins, and I do a little better, usually around 60%, as high as 75%, but then I've had as low as 40%. I am definitely learning from my wrong answers, I'm just not doing well though. Thursday I'm going to try an NBME. If I fail that one, I think I'll push back my test date, although I could only push it back by a few days.

I'm in a similar boat here- and I really dont know what to do about... I thought I had a good grasp of the material but volume and details are whats really killing me. I'm just going to try to hammer First Aid pretty hard this next week and hope for the best. I'm definitely open to any other suggestions though! cause im definitely freaking out :eek:

It seemed to be that the people getting 60% at school were usually a couple points off of AVERAGE (between 210-215). There are a lot of people where I go to school that had Qbank scores NOT correlate well with their Step 1 scores. They felt that the NBME exams as a whole were better indicators of how they did. One or two weeks of study time is powerful. Shore up the easy points (basics in biochem/neuroanat) and review the things you've gotten wrong, as well as pound FA, and you will not be in a bad position.

Are your scores consistently in the 50's or do they go up on certain blocks? I know my avg on Qbank wasnt that great ~58% but that was because i had some question blocks where I performed really poorly early on or had just cancelled the test and it left me with an avg of like 20% for those questions bring down the cum. avg.

Hang in there and just do all you can and use NBME as a judge. I got in the 220's-230's on the nbme tests but I feel like my kaplan and UWorld scores would of correlated to below that.

My scores are pretty consistently in the low/mid 50s for random, timed blocks of 50 unused questions. It goes up to the high 50s and sometimes mid-60s if I do a specific subject that I've just reviewed for an hour or so.

I know I should be studying instead of posting here, but, it's really helpful to have some feedback... Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
I figure if the average Kaplan user is getting 59% correct, then that would correlate with the average Step 1 score, so, being 5% below average should still be well into the passing range.

The alternative idea is that the average user started with about 50% correct, and ended with about 69-70% correct, with an average of 59% overall, but, they're going into the test with a background of close to 70% correct, and getting 70% correlates with the average score on Step1.

What do you guys think?

I think that starts in 2008. Is anyone sure about this?

From the USMLE website, I've copied the following. So, no multimedia yet.

Multiple-choice items with associated media clips will be introduced in USMLE examinations no earlier than Summer 2007. An announcement will be posted to the USMLE website approximately 2 months before any items with associated media clips appear on an actual USMLE examination. Additional information will be posted to the USMLE website as it becomes available.

Any other opinions about minimum QBank scores needed to pass Step1?

According to the medfriends USMLE score estimator, you need to be getting a 59% to translate to a passing grade on USMLE. This is plus or minus 13 on the USMLE so there is a big error bar. Bear in mind that this is not a great way to estimate your score though because Kaplan doesn't have as many gimme's as you will see on the boards, the scaling methodology does not lend itself to one to one comparisons, and you may get a lot of questions in your wheelhouse on the board -- the real test likely won't be as balanced as Kaplan in terms of difficult subjects.

I've started doing blocks of 30-50 questions with a combo of unused and incorrect questoins, and I do a little better, usually around 60%, as high as 75%, but then I've had as low as 40%. I am definitely learning from my wrong answers, I'm just not doing well though. Thursday I'm going to try an NBME. If I fail that one, I think I'll push back my test date, although I could only push it back by a few days.

Good luck on the NBME. Make sure you are reading the QBank explanations for ALL questions - not just the ones you get wrong.

If you do fail the NBME you take on Thursday I would advise contacting your dean's office for guidance. You should not take the test if you are in danger of failing. With that said, hopefully this won't be an issue!

:luck:

I'm averaging 52-55% on Kaplan QBank, I've studied about 7 weeks, and my grades aren't getting better. I started with an average in the low 40s, and it's only increased to the low/mid 50s. Is a low 50s average on QBank good enough to pass Step 1?

Thanks. I'm not feeling good about things. Please help!

What materials have you been studying?

I've been using First Aid and supplementing with BRS Path, Phys, Pharm, Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple and some Kaplan books I was given just last week. I used the Kaplan for 3 days of studying Immuno. It helped get a handle on that.

I'm just overwhelmed. I KNEW micro, but that was like 6 weeks ago, and now, it's all fuzzy again. I should've done a better job of reviewing while I was studying, but, I was supposed to take it three weeks ago, and postponed for fear of failing. I've glad I've had an extra month of study time, although I took a week off after postponing to try to just regroup mentally.

I still have 9 full days of studying. My scores today on a total of 150 questions ranged from a low of 54% to a high of 65%, but that was with a lot of review questions (probably 60% I'd seen before, even if I didn't remember them), and one was a block of subject specific that I'd just studied (the 'high' of 65%).

I'm going to spend tomorrow doing a bunch of random, unused questions before I try an NBME.

My guidance office isn't helpful. They think I'll be fine and I should take it. But really, the scores don't lie. I'm doing my darndest and I just don't get above 54% on any timed, random block of unused questions, and, I have gotten in the 40s regularly!

I don't know how I've passed the last two years, with at least the class average in every class, and I even honored one block. How is this test still kicking my butt?

MCAT was a 30 but that was 5 years ago, and I'd been getting 30ish on the practice tests going into it. Verbal-9, Bio-10, Physical Sci-11

You have shot at passing. I would spend less time here, stop thinking about how you're on the cusp, and just use your remaining time to cram your best.

1. As you stated, you are overwhelmed. Remedy? Be confident! If you are in fact taking it in 9 days, I think this may be the most important thing for you to do. No joke. Confidence is worth its weight in gold. Sure, the 50% Qbank scores aren't helping... I know. But going in feeling pre-devastated isn't going to help much.

2. I'd pick 1 source and master the information within it, e.g. your copy of FIRST AID. And don't just memorize it. When studying it, mentally apply it. Ask yourself why this and that is important to know clinically, or even just for the sake of basic science. I'd move over to USMLE World. A fresh perspective and new unused questions.

3. See point 1.

That's just my 2 cents. Good luck! :thumbup:

Thanks N-Surge. I'm working on FA. Think I should try to finish QBank, I have 25% left of unused questions, and getting through those, and all the ones I missed, and another NBME is a lot of good questions, although I also understand the appeal of UWorld. If I had two weeks, I might... I'll let you know how Thursday's NBME goes. If I don't 'pass' it, I'll probably push back my test a few more days.

Thanks N-Surge. I'm working on FA. Think I should try to finish QBank, I have 25% left of unused questions, and getting through those, and all the ones I missed, and another NBME is a lot of good questions, although I also understand the appeal of UWorld. If I had two weeks, I might... I'll let you know how Thursday's NBME goes. If I don't 'pass' it, I'll probably push back my test a few more days.

Have you used Goljan Rapid Review at all? I found my scores jumped with the help of RR.

:luck:

No Goljan. Maybe would've been helpful. At this point, I feel like I have plenty of resources, and adding one might just add to the chaos. I did push the test back 3 more days. OK, OK... First Aid, and then a practice NBME on Friday.

OMG, I'm in the same boat as drstudychick....
i don't seem to be getting very high on my UW or Qbank questions...
always around 50% or so...

i don't think that's high enough to pass...
I only have 3 weeks left..

i guess i'm not alone.

does anyone know if they curve the USMLE? Or do you have to have a certain percentage of questions right in order to pass??

Since you've said yourself your are overwhelmed, you should narrow down your resources and concentrate on only a couple of books for the last stretch. First Aid is always a good choice, and I think supplemented with BRS Path and Phys you should be well covered. Those 3 books are all I used to study, and I felt it was just the right balance of details and big concepts and not too overwhelming. Seriously, once you've gathered the information you need about what to study, block SDN on your computer until the test and hold yourself to it. Comparing yourself to people on here is not going to be helpful and could be very harmful at this point if it shakes your confidence. Just do what you need to do, and you'll be fine.

as wasteful as it is, checking back every couple hours to see that there are other people in the same boat is helpful to my confidence. i like knowing that i'm not the only one with low 50s on kaplan. people at my school just haven't talked about their kaplan grades unless they're in the high 60s.

got a 70% on a random block of 30 unused questions. probably not impressive to you guys, but a step in the right direction for me.

I'd be careful to take advice from the people on this website about "passing". I don't get the impression that "average" med students use this site.

My USMLEWorld ave was in the mid 50's when I took my exam and I'm fairly certain I did just fine. I tried staying away from this site b/c I was sure I'd fail and I've yet to receive an email/notification from NBME or a call from my dean telling me I failed.

I don't know your specifics but if you're at an allopathic school with a decent passing rate (ie >95% like most schools), I'm sure you'll pass.

I know a few students who have failed and most of them had medical reasons (IBS, chronic migraines, etc) or something else (automobile accident, death in the family etc).

I didn't find the exam to be as specific as Kaplan or as long winded and confusing as UW. It was much easier and much more fair.

Don't read this site with people who get 260+'s and get all worked up, it isn't worth it. Just study FA (b/c 85- 90% of this exam is in FA) and do your best.

Good luck.

PS - it isn't that bad (no really, it isn't that bad)

Goljan is waay overhyped. I think pathology in general is one of the easier sections on the exam, and there are any number of ways to prepare for it. If you just took pathology or pathophysiology then you probably don't need to study too much for it, assuming you kept up with studying during teh course. The hard parts of the exam imo are like biochem (absolutely memorize everything in FA on biochem). Another high yield area to study soon before the exam is introductory sections of microbiology (i.e. what is transduction/conjugation, what is lag phase, log phase, etc.) and what some of the major exotoxins are (ADP-robsylation of EF2 with both C. diptheriae and P. auereginosa)...know which toxins require phage lysogenic conversion). Know molecular biology, definitionly know that stupid hardy-weinberg equation (or just remember from pre-algebra what (x+y)^2 factors out to) Know genetic diseases, know about ANTICIPATION with fragile X/myotonic dystrophy/Huntington's/one other, I forget..Know what anticipation actually means, not just what disease it is associated with..Know about IMPRINTING and Prade Willi/Angelman's syndrome...Know that it is chromosome 15, etc.

Use FA for immunology, know DR3/4 with IDDM, know DR4 with rrheumatoid, 27 with Reiter's/spondylosing anylosis?/psoriatic arthritis, and all the other HLA subtypes linked to disease..it is a little table in first aid.

Not too much anatomy, but some of the questions can be tough, so definitely know brachial plexus, and basically all the innervation of the limbs. Know the circulation of the limbs to a lesser extent, know where the veins dump off into (I.e. great saphenous all the way up towards femoral vein, saphenous stopping at popliteal behind the knee.) Know their relative position to the ankle (i.e. behind the lateral maleoulus or anterior to the medial maleolus for the lesser saphenous/great saphenous respectively). Know the traingles of the neck definitely. And know where the chambers of the heart are in X-rays/CT. That's pretty much the only anatomy on the boards.

Neuroscience seems to be popular the last couple of months on the exam, so know it decently well. Don't skip over it.

Embryology---just read the few pages in FA, because it is one area where you get easy questions.

Know the gut and humoral hormones well. Know things like insulin will suppress glucagon release (indirectly), but the converse does not hold true.

Pharmacology---FA will have most of what you need...the questions on the exam that aren;t in FA tend not to be in other books neither, so don't bother...They sometimes have some newer drugs on there that no one has heard of except for the PHD researcher who submitted that question to the step 1 makers. No principles pretty well, this holds true for really every subject. Step 1 isn't as nitpicky on details as one might think. It is a lot of general principles that they want you to have an idea of, and then it is a lot of questions that you have to use your knowledge base to narrow down the choices and ultimately guess on. Believe me, no one walks out of the step 1 thinking they knew the answer to 80% of the questions for sure. You just have to guess and be confident in your ability to guess. Don't get discouraged halfway through the test because you've been guessing a lot. Just keep your head cool, take breaks between sections to clear your mind...just close your eyes, you don't need to even leave the room. If you can maintain your cool during the exam I think you'll be fine.

And seriously, QBank is not at all representative of step 1....There is no way one could make a good representation, it is a very random test. You just need to have the knowledge base to make educated guess.

This post is very long, sorry, don't hate me for it.

thanks pugnaciousf. hearing about others in the mid-50s who took it and feel ok is what i want... it's why i started the post. i know there are others out there.

scaredschizzle, thanks for all that info too. everything you said seemed familar. i don't know biochem cold, but i have a few days to do that. i spent today on cardio. i feel like i know a lot of the micro stuff, but i definitely don't know the drugs. i need to spend some time on that.

Believe me, no one walks out of the step 1 thinking they knew the answer to 80% of the questions for sure. You just have to guess and be confident in your ability to guess. Don't get discouraged halfway through the test because you've been guessing a lot. Just keep your head cool, take breaks between sections to clear your mind...just close your eyes, you don't need to even leave the room. If you can maintain your cool during the exam I think you'll be fine.
I cut this down a bit to the stuff that I really felt applied to my scenario. This seems to be some very solid advice. Seriously, try to keep your cool, take breaks... what s/he said! :thumbup:

For those that have taken Step I ..how are the questions compared to UWorld? I know many people here sing their praises...but I personally find the wording of their questions to be confusing. I am only averaging about 50% in UWorld but average about 65-70% in both Robbins and BSS. I also have taken some of the sections in nbme 1 and 4 in tutor mode (even though I timed myself) and averaged 70% on form4 and closer to 80 on form1. I found their questions be alot more straightforward- I guess I basically mean I knew what it was they were trying to ask me. I'm still 2 weeks out so I'm planning on taking form 3 in its entirety on Monday. But What gives?? Any suggestions? Does anyone else feel the same way about UWorld?

And drstudychick good luck with everything! :D: Hope your nbme goes well!

Never did UWorld. But two points, I'm not sure whether or not I should say the second..

1. There tends to be a distinct difference between long questions and short questions....Not too many medium size...i.e. it will be less than or equal to 3 lines or it will be like 7 lines.The dificiulty levels tend to be the same for short/long questions, although sometimes the short ones will just test you on some detail, like from FA usually or sometimes something odd that very few will have heard of. In any case, if you're a slow reader like I am, you might want to go through all the short questions first to get yourself going...It is very easy to navigate a computerized test compared to on paper, so use that to your advantage. (You also save time on not having to bubble answers in.)

2. If you ask a friend from your medical school/area who took the test a couple days before you or after you, you will realize there are a ton of repeat questions...like probably half or more by my estimates. But it is a competitive exam and don't expect people to help you like that and really I don't think it is fair to even impinge upon a friend like that. Not to mention on some level it is cheating. I didn't even realize there are so many repeats until after I took the exam and started discussing a few questions with classmates.

I sure as s#it hope so because that was about my average when I took the exam.

I am averaging in the low 50s on UW and scores are not going up exam in 5 days... wish me luck...:oops:

pristine21, we're pretty much in the same boat. can anyone tell me how, and perhaps why, we're in this situation? i'm at a good medical school, and i'm relatively intelligent, and i was around class average for all of my blocks in school, and i feel like i have a pretty good knowledge base, but why in the heck am i only getting 50s on QBank, and why am I in serious danger of failing STEP 1?

pristine21, we're pretty much in the same boat. can anyone tell me how, and perhaps why, we're in this situation? i'm at a good medical school, and i'm relatively intelligent, and i was around class average for all of my blocks in school, and i feel like i have a pretty good knowledge base, but why in the heck am i only getting 50s on QBank, and why am I in serious danger of failing STEP 1?

How did your NBME go?

i haven't taken the nbme yet... thing is, july 23 is the last chance i have to take the exam unless i want to take an entire year off, which i really can't afford to do (financially or otherwise). taking an nbme could go two ways. if i pass, confidence level goes up, but unless i do awesome, confidence doesn't go up all that much. if i fail, i feel like that's such a confidence killer that it may not be worth the risk. i took an nbme (form 2 i think) about a month ago and failed (300/163 i think), but that was a month ago. what do you think? should i just go for it, and take one, or spend my time studying?

i haven't taken the nbme yet... thing is, july 23 is the last chance i have to take the exam unless i want to take an entire year off, which i really can't afford to do (financially or otherwise). taking an nbme could go two ways. if i pass, confidence level goes up, but unless i do awesome, confidence doesn't go up all that much. if i fail, i feel like that's such a confidence killer that it may not be worth the risk. i took an nbme (form 2 i think) about a month ago and failed (300/163 i think), but that was a month ago. what do you think? should i just go for it, and take one, or spend my time studying?

Hey

Don't know if you are still studying but when I was studying for step 1 with a group of girls two of them were getting between 50-60 on their Kaplan. They just got their scores back and both scored over 220.

I know the original poster already saw this thread but for everyone else here was my experience:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=409584

To sum it up, I averaged 50% on Kaplan as I got closer to the test and ended up scoring a 209. That is 24 points above failing. Meaning I was no where near failing.

Take the 150 free questions and use that to correlate your scores. I got a 70% with those questions and medfriends predicted 214, which was just 5 points off my actual score.

I know the original poster already saw this thread but for everyone else here was my experience:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=409584

To sum it up, I averaged 50% on Kaplan as I got closer to the test and ended up scoring a 209. That is 24 points above failing. Meaning I was no where near failing.

Take the 150 free questions and use that to correlate your scores. I got a 70% with those questions and medfriends predicted 214, which was just 5 points off my actual score.

I just posted a long post in the "2007 test experiences thread" so you guys can check that out if you want, but just wanted to comment here:

I'm sorry but Qbank SUCKS. And I don't know where people get off saying that "if you're averaging in the 50s you may not pass." Qbank is not even close to the real thing. I mean, it's good *practice* and all (to get used to answering boards-style questions, etc), but the content is nowhere close to the real thing. I ended up with an average in the low 60s doing all random, unusued questions (with most of my scores in the 40s in the begining, a big string of 50s in the middle, and some 60s and a very very few 70s at the end). I got a 239 on the real thing. Qbank was really frustrating, and I spent more time just laughing at the ridiculous questions than actually stressing about my score. I did try to really learn from the ones I missed AND the ones I got right as much as I could, though. Oh P.S., about some of the people who report getting amazing scores on Qbank, I'm sure at least a few of them are doing (or have done at least one) question sets from particular categories as opposed to all random, and of course if you do a bunch of questions from a subject you just studied, you'll get more right.

To the OP: I don't know if you've taken your test or not by now, but you will be FINE. I think a lot of people who post on this board are crazy and wouldn't be happy with less than a 250. Just focus on First Aid, take breaks (during studying AND the real thing), be confident and trust yourself.

I got a 172 on NBME #4 2 weeks before I took the step.

I had a 56% overall QBANK after completing 74%

Obviously, I was scared and felt like I failed. I prayed for ANYTHING above 185.

I got a 204

You can do! That is IF you are happy with JUST passing.

I figure if the average Kaplan user is getting 59% correct, then that would correlate with the average Step 1 score, so, being 5% below average should still be well into the passing range.

The alternative idea is that the average user started with about 50% correct, and ended with about 69-70% correct, with an average of 59% overall, but, they're going into the test with a background of close to 70% correct, and getting 70% correlates with the average score on Step1.

What do you guys think?

good point.