MD 517 MCAT, 3.22 cGPA, 3.20 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boondock

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Appreciate all help in creating a list to apply to! Thanks in advance! I am a year out of college now, and am excited to apply and make my dream become a reality! I have really pitched my goal as working to advance the standard of care in my primary application, as this has been the work of doctors who have inspired me.

cGPA and sGPA:
3.22 cGPA, 3.20 sGPA
GPA by Semester:
3.43, 2.54, 2.41, 3.22, 3.59, 3.18, 3.60, 3.94

Major:
Double major in engineering science and chemistry, double minor materials science and biomedical eng
Trend: The drop off in my second and third semesters is due to family passing away during/right around finals weeks. I have not specifically mentioned this in my primary...should I even mention this?
MCAT:
517 (130, 127 in CARS, 130, 130)

State of residence
: Illinois
Ethnicity
: White, Jewish, Spanish
Undergraduate institution: "Public Ivy"

Shadow:
2 doctors, 8 hours each. I can speak well to what I learned from each experience.
Clinical volunteering ~30 hours volunteering at hospital, then tore ACL/MCL/meniscus and had to stop... Just recently committed to volunteer another 150 hours by the time I will enroll in 2019.
Non-clinical volunteering:
organized 3 philanthropies fundraising over $9000 for local mental health groups, ~30 hours of tutoring middle school students, Habitat for Humanity ~ 60 hours over a Spring Break

Research experience and productivity:

1) 500 hours working as a physical chemist for the FDA:
Here I developed a novel pharmacological method for which I had abstracts/poster presentations at the FDA and at an international conference on nanomedicine. This data is included in a submission to a top journal in the field as a middle author, however, it is currently in peer review.

2) 120 hours on developing a novel spectroscopic technique/instrument:
Our team recorded the most precise measurement of enantiomeric excess relative to literature. The abstract has been accepted to an international conference on molecular spectroscopy this year, but I am not presenting the poster.

3) 400 hours on Ultrasound Guided Radiation Delivery:
Abstract and poster presentation at my school. The system my partner and I helped design has been approved for a trial on 6 patients at our university hospital. I read that UC Irvine is big on ultrasound so I thought that could be one opportunity!

Work experience:

1)Three summers at an inclusion camp (includes children with disabilities)
2)Will have completed two years in a tech company as a technical sales engineer creating client demos

Letters
:
1) very strong letter from Senior Staff Fellow at the FDA labs
2) strong letter from a nanoscience professor who will speak to my ability to think creatively in order to engineer the medical solutions of tomorrow
3) strong letter from an engineering English professor who will speak to my ability to examine the societal and ethical aspects of medicine

Comments:
I have the MSAR and was wondering best way to use it? Find schools where I am above 75th MCAT maybe?
Thoughts? I think I have seen somewhere that high MCAT and low GPA can be difficult because for some schools the MCAT will be too high?

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT will not be too high for any schools. Your low GPA and low shadowing and clinical volunteering hours will limit your chances for interviews. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Carle Illinois
Medical College Wisconsin
Indiana
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
Also apply to at least 8 DO schools and you are competitive for most DO schools
Your research activities may interest some schools since they appear novel and unique.

Thanks, @Faha
I have a few questions though:
1) I am going to apply to 30-40 MD. As I add candidate schools to the list, would it be better to apply to schools where my MCAT is above their 90th or just above their 75th percentile?

2) Would it make a difference if I got my shadowing up to 20-25 hours before submitting the application?

3) Do you think I necessarily need to make a part of primary application explicitly explain why my grades were so low those 2 semesters? I really love my essay right now as it is.

4) Would using similar language about my goals to advance the standard of care based on my research experience and creativity be well received in DO admissions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just above the 75th percentile is fine for private schools. Remember that most OOS public schools strongly favor their own residents and those non residents accepted are often those who attended an undergraduate school in the state, are legacies or former residents, URM or from neighboring states.

Reactions: 1 user
2) Would it make a difference if I got my shadowing up to 20-25 hours before submitting the application?

This would be beneficial, but keep in mind that EC activities don't make up for a low GPA, so you'll still need to apply wisely. Also, it's generally recommended for people to have around 50 hours of shadowing.

3) Do you think I necessarily need to make a part of primary application explicitly explain why my grades were so low those 2 semesters? I really love my essay right now as it is.

There's no need to draw unnecessary attention to a blemish on your application. I'm sure some schools will provide a secondary option to explain shortcomings. If you like your PS as is, then I wouldn't change it.

4) Would using similar language about my goals to advance the standard of care based on my research experience and creativity be well received in DO admissions?

The majority of DO schools are centered around primary care, so if you spin it in that manner I believe it will be fine. Also keep in mind that not all DO schools will have research opportunities.

Thoughts on adding these additional schools due to state ties:
Southern illinois
VaTech
VCU

and these to round me out to 40: -- if there are any that I obviously don't fit, please share... these are just based off of some sorting approaches I have considered and the MSAR:
Wisconsin
Iowa
Missouri
USF - Morsani
Georgetown
Wayne State
Slu
Creighton
Tulane
Tufts
Wake Forest
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine

I'm going to disagree with my learned colleague. I think a single good year is not going to convince MD Adcoms that you can handle med school yet. You have rather an undulating U-shaped trend, and it should look like the Nike swoosh.
You're fine for nearly all DO schools, though.
Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Southern Illinois and VCU are fine to add but VaTech has a small class with a state and regional preference.
Schools such as St. Louis,Creighton, Georgetown, Miami and Tulane look for applicants with hundreds of hours or greater of clinical exposure which you are lacking. You could try Iowa and Wayne State