DO 510 (retake) 3.39 sGPA, 3.35 oGPA, 3.79 Post-bacc GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

westsidestoryz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need help with school list

REAPPLICANT

Major: Finance (Graduated), switched to pre-med during my senior year. Completed my pre-reqs in about a year.

Asian, California resident

Here are my numbers:
MCAT:
1st MCAT: 502 (5/20/17)
2nd MCAT: 510 (127, 126, 129, 128) (4/21/18)

GPA:
oGPA: 3.35
sGPA: 3.39
Post-bacc GPA: 3.79 (19 units, all pre-req courses)

ECs:
ER department volunteer: 210+ hours
Shadowing: 60+ hours (all MDs)
Research: 1 year, no publication. Ended in August 2017
Medical clinic in Mexico: 84+ hours continuing
Free tutor for underserved students: 38+ hours
Soup kitchen: 60+ hours continuing
Mission trip to Africa: 336+ hours
Couple leadership positions (Academic and non-academic)
Employment with a company that works with adults with mental disabilities: 999+ hours
Employment with a Medical group working with Case Managers: 999+ hours Current

5 LORs: 3 science professors, 1 MD, 1 supervisor (Disabilities job)

DO Schools:

Chicago Midwestern
Kansas City
Rocky Vista
Touro-CA
A.T. Still Kirksville
NYITCOM
Arizona Midwestern
Pacific Northwest
Western Pomona
PCOM

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Faha @Goro

Quick question.
I have:

Chicago
Arizona Midwestern
PCOM
Touro-CA
NYITCOM
Western-Pomona
Kansas City
Rocky Vista

I was thinking about removing Rocky Vista and replacing it with 1 safety school. Which would you recommended?

As always, thank you for your help.

Should I add/delete some DO schools?
I have about 36 MDs now but cutting that to 25
Wise move.
@Faha @Goro
Quick question.
I have:
Chicago
Arizona Midwestern
PCOM
Touro-CA
NYITCOM
Western-Pomona
Kansas City
Rocky Vista

I was thinking about removing Rocky Vista and replacing it with 1 safety school. Which would you recommended?
As always, thank you for your help.
MUCOM
VCOM
DMU
Western-OR
LMU
TUNCOM

Going with TUNCOM! Close to Cali and Vegas. Thanks for your input!

And I couldn't cut it down to 25...not the first unwise move i have made

Going with TUNCOM! Close to Cali and Vegas. Thanks for your input!

And I couldn't cut it down to 25...not the first unwise move i have made
Being a 2x MCAT taker and having a 510 on the second try limits you choices for MD, I fear.

I suggest:
UCD
UCI
Wayne State
Drexel
GWU
Gtown
Netter
U Miami
Tufts
Tulane
Loyola
SLU
MCW
EVMS
CUMS
NovaMD
Wake
Albany
NYMC

Being a 2x MCAT taker and having a 510 on the second try limits you choices for MD, I fear.

I suggest:
UCD
UCI
Wayne State
Drexel
GWU
Gtown
Netter
U Miami
Tufts
Tulane
Loyola
SLU
MCW
EVMS
CUMS
NovaMD
Wake
Albany
NYMC
CUMS is Colorado? They had 65 OOS to 118 In-state so I took it out. Should I add it back in?
And SLU had a GPA of 3.8, but I fall in their MCAT range. Should I also add it back in?

CUMS is Colorado? They had 65 OOS to 118 In-state so I took it out. Should I add it back in?
And SLU had a GPA of 3.8, but I fall in their MCAT range. Should I also add it back in?
Nope, the new CalMed

You're a reinventor...so the GPA range doesn't quite come into play. More importantly, SLU rewards reinvention.

Nope, the new CalMed

You're a reinventor...so the GPA range doesn't quite come into play. More importantly, SLU rewards reinvention.
Oh yes, that is already in my list, along with Kaiser.

I have never heard of reapp's GPA not coming into play...is that how most Adcoms view reapps?

Last edited:
Oh yes, that is already in my list, along with Kaiser.

I have never heard of reapp's GPA not coming into play...is that how most Adcoms view reapps?
AFAIK, Kaiser is not yet taking apps.
Use the GPA from the SMP/post-bac and perhaps the last 1-2 years of UG IF there is a strong rising GPA trend.

AFAIK, Kaiser is not yet taking apps.
Use the GPA from the SMP/post-bac and perhaps the last 1-2 years of UG IF there is a strong rising GPA trend.

My junior and Senior year, the GPAs were not great. Post-bacc GPA for pre-reqs have been okay, few units unfortunately.

I cannot fix my GPA unless I go into SMP, which I really would not like to do.
I have 35 MDs and 8 DOs. I hope the adcoms that will review my app can see the continued growth and commitment to medicine.
I hope the 91 percentile on my B/B MCAT can attest to my aptitude for science....

My junior and Senior year, the GPAs were not great. Post-bacc GPA for pre-reqs have been okay, few units unfortunately.

I cannot fix my GPA unless I go into SMP, which I really would not like to do.
I have 35 MDs and 8 DOs. I hope the adcoms that will review my app can see the continued growth and commitment to medicine.
I hope the 91 percentile on my B/B MCAT can attest to my aptitude for science....
What's your school list? I have a suspicion some will be donations.
Concerning your MCAT score, many places average the two scores, and a single subcategory score that is strong won't be good enough. You're competing with people who strong in all categories and have taken the exam once. You're not DOA for MD, but you have to have a strategic list.
And 19 units might or might not be enough.

What's your school list? I have a suspicion some will be donations.
Concerning your MCAT score, many places average the two scores, and a single subcategory score that is strong won't be good enough. You're competing with people who strong in all categories and have taken the exam once. You're not DOA for MD, but you have to have a strategic list.
And 19 units might or might not be enough.
Your suspicion is correct. I def have some donations in there, hence my mention of unwise moves...haha...
I did include all the MD schools you and Faha and mentioned, so thats the strategy I am going with.

In terms of my status as a reapplicant, the odds are not great but I did make some relatively good improvements to my activities and MCAT (127, 126, 129, 128). You have stated some schools emphasize reinvention and I think I have done that.

For the 19 units, i was looking into taking advanced bio courses but due to work schedules, I could not.