5 min presentation at grand rounds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtinker1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone have good idea for a topic for a 5 min presentation at a dermatology away programs grand rounds? Ideally the topic is new, interesting, not well known, etc. greatly appreciate any help!

Members don't see this ad.

anyone have good idea for a topic for a 5 min presentation at a dermatology away programs grand rounds? Ideally the topic is new, interesting, not well known, etc. greatly appreciate any help!

Did they provide any guidelines on what would be considered an appropriate topic? I would ask students who have been on the rotation before or the current residents. Some programs are very specific as to what they're looking for during student presentations.

Do you have any particular interests within dermatology?

It may be worth grabbing some of the most recent journals to see if there are any topics that pique your interest.

Reactions: 1 user
Jak kinase inhibitors, Dupilumab, the PD-1 and other melanoma treatments. Those are a few 'hot topics'.

In the end, give some background in your presentation, but the goal is to teach the attendings something (What are the side effects of dupilumab we have to look out for...What labs would you have to check with Jak kinase inhibitors).

We all know that atopic derm affects this many people and that alopecia totalis can be resistant to treatment...don't bore us with those things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jak kinase inhibitors, Dupilumab, the PD-1 and other melanoma treatments. Those are a few 'hot topics'.

In the end, give some background in your presentation, but the goal is to teach the attendings something (What are the side effects of dupilumab we have to look out for...What labs would you have to check with Jak kinase inhibitors).

We all know that atopic derm affects this many people and that alopecia totalis can be resistant to treatment...don't bore us with those things.

Ugh don't pick any of those topics. Those topics are so "hot" that all the dermatology residents and attendings have already had ten lectures on them.

Just pick something you find interesting, even it's somewhat obscure. Rarely discussed treatments for common diseases are also awesome. I think my favorite talk from a med student was about oral zinc for treating warts. Blew my mind! :)

The point is you find out something new about the hot topic to teach that we haven't heard before. Five minutes is not enough to give the typical lecture on one of those topics anyway.