4th year out time...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted9493

So I have August and September free for out rotations my 4th year and was wondering what thoughts were out there about whether I should spend both months doing anesthesia 'aways' or mix it up and do a month in SICU and a month in anesthesia?

If I'm to do a month of SICU, can anyone recommend any great places to spend that month at?

Members don't see this ad.

i didn't do a SICU rotation at a big time place, but i would definitely recommend it. also, seeing that you go to a DO school, a place where they are DO friendly might not be a bad idea either.

some suggestions:

Hopkins
Mayo-Rochester
Cleveland Clinic

all of the above are probably not bad places to do anesthesiology rotations either. i did one at hopkins, and it was phenomenal.

the sicu there is old and cramped, but the equipment is all top notch. i've heard you pretty much function as a subI there, which means q3 for the whole month, and with the crazy pathology you would expect from a place like hopkins, i'm sure it's no joke. i would bet though, that it is an amazing experience. dr. peter pronovost is there too, and he and the other sicu attendings (such as dr. sapirstein) are all fantastic teachers.