4th Year Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chromuffin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a new MS4 that will be starting my anesthesia “sub-I” next week and was hoping to get some input on what I should expect/how I should prepare. As an MS3, I would help get the room ready in the mornings for residents/attending that I worked with as an indication that I was interested in anesthesia. What else should I do to help obtain LORs and to stand out from my peers? (FWIW, I’m hoping to go to my home institution for residency.)

Members don't see this ad.

Read about the patients, show interest in pre-oping with the resident, try to come up with your own anesthetic plan, be proactive about IVs/intubations. If you perform intubations/procedures incorrectly ask them to explain what you did wrong, try again if they let you and don't just hand over the laryngoscope when you don't get a view 10 seconds in. When something doesn't make sense to you ask why/seem interested. Don't expect to just intubate and then go home.

Reactions: 3 users