401K vs pension plans - West Virginia teachers win the right to go back

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
With a pension plan that generous, why would any of the teachers care to leave it.

The pension pays out $2500 a month, which equates to $30,000 a year. If we imagine that I want my 401(k) to give me such income at retirement (and assuming a safe withdrawal rate of 4%), I would need $750,000 in my 401(k).

This $2500 a month is paid by the pension for a worker who works for 30 years at an average salary of $50,000 or $1,500,000 (1.5 Million) over the his/her work life . For this worker to have that amount in his 401(k), he/she would have to save 50% of his/her salary (I am assuming of course that there are no gains, no compounding interest, or match).

Even if we add in gains, compounding interest and a match, the teachers would have to save a high percentage of their salary just to keep up with the overly generous pensions plan.

Hell yea, give me the pension each and evey time, that is until the pension runs out of money and West Virginia can't pay it teachers and retirees.

Then it becomes a new game of who to blame, the teachers who bled the system dried even when the good people (investment managers) told them that the payout was not sustainable, or the investment managers who couldn't beat the system each and every time and screwed over the good working people (teachers).

Hmm, kinda reminds me of another current problem this nations has. Something about security in our social society.

Last edited:
Sorry to repost, but I just had to share this

The CNN Money Article said:
The teachers, for their part, contend the move won't cost the state any additional money. Maybe, maybe not. It all depends on the pension plan's future investment earnings and the life expectancies of the teachers, neither of which are knowable at this point. What is certain, however, is that the taxpayers of West Virginia will once again be called upon to pick up the slack if the plan's assets fall short.

Never mind to the constant reference in the article to the state's pension plan being underfunded to handle its obligation. Never mind that the 401(k) style plan was enacted to try to avert the problem. This should not cost any more money, it will just magically appear when we need it. Heck, the state would probably just print more money and send it to us.