Nonqualified deferred compensation plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phantom Spike

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on nonqualified deferred compensation (NQCD) plans? Worth contributing to or no great advantage? And if it's a good option, when would you request distribution?

And another question: I understand that 457bs are a type of NQCDs, but 457bs have an annual contribution limit (I believe $22.5K for 2023) and withdrawal rules similar to 401ks (i.e., 10% penalty if you withdraw before a certain age). The type of NQDC I'm referring to here states no contribution limits and you can choose get your distribution at any age, but once you make that choice, no early withdrawal allowed. Am I right in my understanding that these are two different kinds of NQDCs?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What's everyone's thoughts on nonqualified deferred compensation (NQCD) plans? Worth contributing to or no great advantage? And if it's a good option, when would you request distribution?

And another question: I understand that 457bs are a type of NQCDs, but 457bs have an annual contribution limit (I believe $22.5K for 2023) and withdrawal rules similar to 401ks (i.e., 10% penalty if you withdraw before a certain age). The type of NQDC I'm referring to here states no contribution limits and you can choose get your distribution at any age, but once you make that choice, no early withdrawal allowed. Am I right in my understanding that these are two different kinds of NQDCs?
The risk of the 457 is of the hospital going out of business. It does happen and you end up with nothing. And the same thing the nonqualified plan. If the group you are working for goes out of business you are out that money. These things were designed for executives to play games and they know when to get out and not lose the money.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

AFAIK….

457b are for non-profit or gov jobs & hence that cap is set by the gov

NQDC cap is set by the individual “for-profit” entity

They both have same withdrawal rules as far as penalties etc
And they both have “must start withdrawing by age X” although that may change based on SECURE act

But you can get a penalty free distribution if you leave the job or retire before 59.5 yoa

However you can only roll a 457 into another 457, and NQDC into NQDC (since the caps are different)
There is another option whereby you take the distribution, pay taxes on it & roll it into a Roth IRA thereby making more than the yearly allowed max in one fell swoop

Some companies offer to handle your 457b or NQDC for a few years after you have quit… but if you take the lump sum & it doesn’t change your tax bracket, then it may be more beneficial to do that.

Additionally, both 457b and NQDC are subject to creditors in the event of bankruptcy or a big lawsuit etc, but I guess one could resign as soon as the writing is on the wall & cash it out?

I went from non-profit to for-profit so I couldn’t roll over.. so I took the whole lot & just put it towards my home loan

Last edited: