Position Swap 3RD YEAR PSYCH FOR 2nd or 3rd year psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc424

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for a 3rd or second year psych position; I am currently a second year psych resident at Staten Island University Hospital and will be leaving at the end of June 2015 to complete my second year in psych. They are kicking me out bc I have not passed step 3 as yet. They told me this on Monday- I am preferably looking for a program that does not care about step 3 bc I want to attempt it later again after residency. Please respond if you would like to switch or if you know of any openings. I am interested in an adolescent fellowship so if there are any child fellowships open out there that do not require step 3, that would be an option as well. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I am looking for a 3rd or second year psych position; I am currently a second year psych resident at Staten Island University Hospital and will be leaving at the end of June 2015 to complete my second year in psych. They are kicking me out bc I have not passed step 3 as yet. They told me this on Monday- I am preferably looking for a program that does not care about step 3 bc I want to attempt it later again after residency. Please respond if you would like to switch or if you know of any openings. I am interested in an adolescent fellowship so if there are any child fellowships open out there that do not require step 3, that would be an option as well. Thank you!!

I can almost guarantee you that there will not be any fellowship who will accept you without you being 1) Board certified in psychiatry and 2) have passed Step 3 USMLE.
Quit making this task more difficult than it should be. Why have your colleages passed Step 3 and you have not? Whatever reason you have, the boards do not care. You can study for Step 3 in 1 week and pass if you like, but if you do not want to give the effort, then that's another story. Give emphasis to what matters to you. Feel free to contact me if you have any personal questions. I know a few people like you, and their main problems is that they are women whome have 3-4 kids, and they attend to the kids throughout their residency, and forget that they too are an integral component of that family... i.e they attend to everyone else instead of themselves. If I were them, a women for that matter, I'd invest in a cheap yet trust worthy Nanny (thank God for cameras) and on a good chef). Luckily I am in not that position, but if I were, I'd show them that there is an answer.

Good luck. Also, quit looking for the world to cater for you --- you are lucky and blesseded enough as it is. Your program existed before you and will continue to do so after you -- you are the one who needs to wake up, not your future ''accepting fellowship''.

Hello,

I have passed step 3 and I have worked in the burn unit at SIUH as a fellow for 2 years….I would be very interested in getting into that psych residency, PGY-1 are there any open spots?
Step 1,2,3 complete
ECGMG certified,
with 2 year fellowship in critical care burn ICU (which inspired me to go into psych instead of surgery)

Any information would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have passed step 3 and I have worked in the burn unit at SIUH as a fellow for 2 years….I would be very interested in getting into that psych residency, PGY-1 are there any open spots?
Step 1,2,3 complete
ECGMG certified,
with 2 year fellowship in critical care burn ICU (which inspired me to go into psych instead of surgery)

Any information would be appreciated.

Hey,
not there are no open pgy1 spots, as far as I am aware. Sorry. Do you know of any open PGY2 or 3 psych spots that do not require step 3? Thanks

Agree with previous comments, stop looking for programs that don't require Step 3 as most all will require it if not all. You are avoiding a problem instead of tackling the problem. I would think being in psychiatry you would know to avoid a problem doesn't fix anything. My suggestion is take the time you need to study for and pass Step 3 then get into another psych residency. I'm not saying some wont' take you and have you repeat 2nd year, but they will want you to pass Step 3 within the allotted time and if you don't you'll fail out again. Too many of those and you won't ever get another residency and you're screwed.

Take a year pass step three and reapply. Wayne state took a resident who had to sit out a year. I think all programs require a passed step three email pds after u pass often they have spots for people who left for child. U may b able to moonlight doing disability exans apa site has listings took

Hello,

Is there some specific reason you are trying to delay taking your step 3 exam? Ultimately you will have to take it eventually to get licensed and I would think it would be easier to pass earlier in your psych training. Additionally, some states impose time limits for completing all of the step exams. If you exceed the time limit between passing step 1 and step 3 then you usually would not be able to be licensed in one of those states.

Hi no I am planning on taking a course before I take it again- I think this is a good idea since I hVe been unsuccessful and was one point away:). My seven years is up in January 2016, but I plan on taking it after the course, in early September or late August! Where do you work? I would love to be in a rural area and prefer it to the city life...thank you for reaching out!!
-Sylvia