3rd year Internal Med matched in Ophtho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get everyone's advice on whether I have made the right decision. I'm a 3rd year Internal Med resident who matched in Ophtho. Since med school I have loved Ophtho but I also have grown to love Internal Med which may be b/c of my comfort level after ~3yrs of training. Am I wasting all the knowledge I've gained as an Internist if I go into Ophtho or will it enhance my training/practice? Also, do you think the future of Ophtho is stable enough for me to make this transition. Would you follow through with the Ophtho residency or pursue an IM practice or an IM subspecialty instead? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Members don't see this ad.

ReMD said:
I wanted to get everyone's advice on whether I have made the right decision. I'm a 3rd year Internal Med resident who matched in Ophtho. Since med school I have loved Ophtho but I also have grown to love Internal Med which may be b/c of my comfort level after ~3yrs of training. Am I wasting all the knowledge I've gained as an Internist if I go into Ophtho or will it enhance my training/practice? Also, do you think the future of Ophtho is stable enough for me to make this transition. Would you follow through with the Ophtho residency or pursue an IM practice or an IM subspecialty instead? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Hi,
I am a 2nd year internal medicine resident applying for ophtho this year. My email is [email protected]. Send me an email and we'll correspond about this subject. :)

Victor Ko

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I have problems with my email acount so I'd prefer to talk on this forum.

Ophthalmology residents are often very scared and wimpy about non-ophthalmology problems, much more so than surgery or medicine residents (even compared to surgery residents dealing with medicine problems and vice versa). In an idea world, internship should be another year or two longer with exposure to emergency medicine and general surgery. Of course, we're not in an ideal world.