3rd year DO student, when to take USMLE Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sizillyd

Go Pack
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm just finishing up my 3rd year of med school and I didn't take Step 1 last year due to financial issues but I am currently scheduled to take Step 1 on 6/13. I have been studying for it using UWorld and a few other good resources while I have been studying for my last shelf tomorrow.

I'm also scheduled to take COMLEX Level 2 on 6/25. I can't change my Level 2 date but I am flexible on my Step 1 date. I feel comfortable keeping it where it is, but I'm not as versed and experienced in Step studying as many of you folks. Should I change my date to sometime in July during my EM rotation or should I keep it where it is? As it stands, I have a month to study for it, then only 12 days to study for Level 2.

If I changed it, maybe I could do late July to give myself more time to study for it. I have a lot of time off on this rotation right now and just want to make the most of it. Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you taken an NBME or UWSA yet for Step 1?

I just took the new NBME 24 yesterday and my 3 number conversion is 180. Obviously not too happy about it. But I'm about a month out so I'm hoping I can bring that up considerably once I go back over biochem, immuno, and biostats. Any advice?

I just took the new NBME 24 yesterday and my 3 number conversion is 180. Obviously not too happy about it. But I'm about a month out so I'm hoping I can bring that up considerably once I go back over biochem, immuno, and biostats. Any advice?
Gotcha. Why do you plan on taking Step 1? What specialty are you considering? Are you taking Step 2 as well?

I ask because I’m wondering why you don’t just focus on Step 2. With that low of a baseline Step 1 score, having it so close to Level 2 could jeopardize one or both.