3rd year Anesthesiology Elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

California Bear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How useful would a 3rd year anesthesiology elective be for those interested in going into FM?

I have the opportunity to do 3 electives for my third year and I'm thinking of rads, derm, and anesthesia. Should I look into other ones?

Any input appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It’s a chill rotation, so it’s useful in that perspective. And maybe you’ll see the light and switch your specialty. I did.

Reactions: 2 users
From a clinical perspective, the most practical learning experience for FM is regional blocks.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks y'all. My specialty choices are limited to primary care since I'm in the NHSC. So I'm open to any electives that would help me in that regard.

I don’t know how your program is set up. I just want to say don’t let that limit your choices. You may have to pay back your tuition or whatever your obligation.... but it is your life and career for 20-30 years. You want to do something you actually enjoy.

One of my good friend did a similar program which paid for undergrad and med school. end up doing GI. He was more than happy to pay back.... a few classmates did anesthesia, had to pay back too. But they’re absolutely fine with their choices.

Anesthesia elective is more for people who wants to know it as a speciality. I would recommend going in with open mind, and really see how your attendings are. Are they the type of people you will enjoy being with, are they happy, are they miserable? People who want to learn how to intubate, forget about it. You’d be lucky to learn how to adequately ventilate a patient in your 4 week rotation.

Food for thought.