Anesthesiology rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentDOnut

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice on how to make a good impression this rotation? Yes I have good people skills. I am very interested in going into the field, my scores are right on the average for Anesthesia. 234 step 1 and 692 comlex 1. Just nervous about my step 1 being right on the bell curve.

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished mine, have not received my grades back yet but was told I did well during the feedback session. KNOW your physio, know WHY you are doing things, and don't just memorize a pattern. Read up on stuff before your cases. Know where everything is in the OR. Ask to do procedures, and don't worry if you miss intubations or central/IV/A lines, pretty sure attendings just want to see you try and show initiative. Be friendly with the OR staff.

As with all rotations, show up early, offer to stay late, be nice to everyone, take initiative. Procedures, as hellosnd mentioned, are big here. Knowledge of the most commonly used meds helps. ACLS/running a code tips would be good as well.