3rd Year Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InTheMaking

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a 2nd year, starting rotations on June 28th. My first 7 months are "core" rotations. My order is Behavioral Health, Peds, IM, IM, OB/GYN, General Surgery, Family Medicine. The rest of my 3rd year is two selectives (one medicine, one surgical), two electives (anything) and a vacation.

What rotations do you think are good launching pads to get a good base going into some audition rotations 4th year?

The reason I post this in Neurosurgery is because I'm pretty determined to go down this pathway. My uncle happens to be a neurosurgeon and after spending much time with him, reading about specialties and deciding how I want my life to be I've decided neurosurgery is on the top of my list. Of course I'm not going to say I won't have a changing experience in rotations and choose another specialty but as of now that is what I would like to pursue.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a 2nd year, starting rotations on June 28th. My first 7 months are "core" rotations. My order is Behavioral Health, Peds, IM, IM, OB/GYN, General Surgery, Family Medicine. The rest of my 3rd year is two selectives (one medicine, one surgical), two electives (anything) and a vacation.

What rotations do you think are good launching pads to get a good base going into some audition rotations 4th year?

The reason I post this in Neurosurgery is because I'm pretty determined to go down this pathway. My uncle happens to be a neurosurgeon and after spending much time with him, reading about specialties and deciding how I want my life to be I've decided neurosurgery is on the top of my list. Of course I'm not going to say I won't have a changing experience in rotations and choose another specialty but as of now that is what I would like to pursue.

Neurology and neurosurgery.

Members don't see this ad :)
Disclaimer: I'm far from an expert, so take this post with a grain of salt.

Schedule any rotations that will give you Acute Care or Critical Care experiences. You probably won't be wowing many people with your surgical skill at this stage, but knowing how to manage vents, drugs used in management of neuro patients, etc. can really help you stand out in a positive way.

My advice is to spend your third year choosing something other than neurosurgery.