This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med-dad-78

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I was hoping anyone could give advice, what to do next, etc...

I am a 39-year-old married white male with a 2-year-old and 3-year-old. I currently work about 60 hours a week as an elementary school teacher. My wife saw that I was burning out as a teacher and asked what I really wanted to do with my life. I'd always wanted to be a doctor. She said go for it.

Academic History:
2000 - B.S. in Government/Minor in Music - 3.42 GPA
3.15 BCPM (used AMCAS GPA calculator spreadsheet)

Went to law school after graduating undergrad. Mother committed suicide the morning of my second first semester exam. Witnessed it, gave permission to harvest organs, planned the funeral, etc., etc. Eventually took a hardship withdrawal and pursued teaching to support myself. My father took the life insurance money for himself and moved to across the continent with his new wife.
Law school GPA was not good, but I don't think that counts for AMCAS GPA. I have been told there is a place to talk about this on the applications.

I took some graduate courses in education for continuing ed. credits for my teaching certificate. All A's. I have a master's in education; it was pass/fail and online. I don't think these are counted for AMCAS GPA either.

Post-Bacc GPA so far is 3.77. I retook my science courses because they were about 17 years old. What worries me is I have A's in everything except Orgo I and Biochem. The college does not give out +/- grades. I am likely to get a B in Orgo II (currently taking), but could still pull an A in the summer compressed course. I should be researching in the fall with my old Biochem professor, but I am not sure if that will count towards my GPA.
I withdrew three times during the post-bac. Once when the father-in-law passed, when I had my first child, and when I transferred from the community college to a regular 4-year. I also resuscitated my wife somewhere in there too. I believe there will be a place to discuss this somewhere in the application cycle.

I volunteer at a hospital 4-hours a week (I should have about 170 hours by now), and have shadowed a general practice MD (4 hours), Pediatrician (12 hours), and possibly a dermatologist soon as well.

I took the MCAT in May and voided my score. I thought I would have more time to prepare, but being a parent took A LOT of that time away. I will take it again in either the spring or early summer of 2018. I could definitely see what I needed to work on.

I would like to stay in Georgia, and have looked at the PCOM DO school. My GPA is slightly above Morehouse's last published average. My sister-in-law went there back in the day. I think MCG is out of my GPA range, but I could still apply and see what happens--the same with mercer.

QUESTIONS: I am most concerned about the Biochem and Organic grades affecting my ability to get in.

1) Should I take more science courses after Organic II? I have not had psychology yet, and could take it, but many people I've talked to said I just need Khan Academy and the Kaplan or Exam Kracker's book. I've also thought about going through the application cycle to see what happens.

2) I am pretty sure I need a high MCAT score to balance the Organic Grades. Is this thinking rational?

3. Anything else I should be considering?

Thank you for your time. It's been great reading about everyone else's goals here.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I was hoping anyone could give advice, what to do next, etc...

I am a 39-year-old married white male with a 2-year-old and 3-year-old. I currently work about 60 hours a week as an elementary school teacher. My wife saw that I was burning out as a teacher and asked what I really wanted to do with my life. I'd always wanted to be a doctor. She said go for it.

Academic History:
2000 - B.S. in Government/Minor in Music - 3.42 GPA
3.15 BCPM (used AMCAS GPA calculator spreadsheet)

Went to law school after graduating undergrad. Mother committed suicide the morning of my second first semester exam. Witnessed it, gave permission to harvest organs, planned the funeral, etc., etc. Eventually took a hardship withdrawal and pursued teaching to support myself. My father took the life insurance money for himself and moved to across the continent with his new wife.
Law school GPA was not good, but I don't think that counts for AMCAS GPA. I have been told there is a place to talk about this on the applications.

I took some graduate courses in education for continuing ed. credits for my teaching certificate. All A's. I have a master's in education; it was pass/fail and online. I don't think these are counted for AMCAS GPA either.

Post-Bacc GPA so far is 3.77. I retook my science courses because they were about 17 years old. What worries me is I have A's in everything except Orgo I and Biochem. The college does not give out +/- grades. I am likely to get a B in Orgo II (currently taking), but could still pull an A in the summer compressed course. I should be researching in the fall with my old Biochem professor, but I am not sure if that will count towards my GPA.
I withdrew three times during the post-bac. Once when the father-in-law passed, when I had my first child, and when I transferred from the community college to a regular 4-year. I also resuscitated my wife somewhere in there too. I believe there will be a place to discuss this somewhere in the application cycle.

I volunteer at a hospital 4-hours a week (I should have about 170 hours by now), and have shadowed a general practice MD (4 hours), Pediatrician (12 hours), and possibly a dermatologist soon as well.

I took the MCAT in May and voided my score. I thought I would have more time to prepare, but being a parent took A LOT of that time away. I will take it again in either the spring or early summer of 2018. I could definitely see what I needed to work on.

I would like to stay in Georgia, and have looked at the PCOM DO school. My GPA is slightly above Morehouse's last published average. My sister-in-law went there back in the day. I think MCG is out of my GPA range, but I could still apply and see what happens--the same with mercer.

QUESTIONS: I am most concerned about the Biochem and Organic grades affecting my ability to get in.

1) Should I take more science courses after Organic II? I have not had psychology yet, and could take it, but many people I've talked to said I just need Khan Academy and the Kaplan or Exam Kracker's book. I've also thought about going through the application cycle to see what happens.

2) I am pretty sure I need a high MCAT score to balance the Organic Grades. Is this thinking rational?

3. Anything else I should be considering?

Thank you for your time. It's been great reading about everyone else's goals here.

I can't speak about MD schools, but for PCOM your B's would be fine. Your post bacc gpa is good for DO schools too, and you have plenty of experience. Have you shadowed a DO? Do you have a letter of rec from a DO? You definitely have to at least shadow a DO (preferably primary care), but PCOM does not require a LOR from a physician. If you get 505+ on the MCAT I'd say you're pretty good for PCOM. Also try to get some experience working or volunteering in the under served community.

Reactions: 1 user
I dont have advice, but wanted to say best of luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I teach in an under-served community and see the needs. I have not shadowed a DO yet. Still working on that. I couldn't get past the receptionist at the local place the last time I called... HIPAA. But I may just need to talk to the right person.

Thanks. I teach in an under-served community and see the needs. I have not shadowed a DO yet. Still working on that. I couldn't get past the receptionist at the local place the last time I called... HIPAA. But I may just need to talk to the right person.
I would just keep calling around to DOs in your area until you get one that will allow you to shadow. Shoot for a primary care doc if possible. Good luck!!

Call pcom and ask if they can connect you with a faculty member for shadowing

Reactions: 1 user