37 reasons not to be a military dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
With the cost of some schools being really high (about 115k/year x 4 years in my case), I think the military option should be a no-brainer for a short term commitment. That, combined with 6.8% and 7.9% interest on loans...yeah..

Members don't see this ad.

With the cost of some schools being really high (about 115k/year x 4 years in my case), I think the military option should be a no-brainer for a short term commitment. That, combined with 6.8% and 7.9% interest on loans...yeah..
I agree wholeheartedly. As long as you can live with the possibility of deployment, I think the service right out of school is an excellent option, particularly if you have the opportunity to do an AEGD or GPR.

USC? I am glad the Army is paying for you tuition, I also wish the Army is not wasting so much money supporting a school with such high tuition...that extra-money can be used for another candidate going to a cheaper school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI to those making a decision about entering the military as a dentist. With the budget cuts headed our way and the fact that there were *****s in the government using their travel budgets for parties, CE is almost impossible to get funding for. I and several of my peers have not been able to get funding for any dental conferences for CE in the last 18 months. They now expect you to get it online or find local dental associations to try and get it. There are a few military sponsored courses available, but the good old days of picking your CE conference to travel to are over. Unless you take leave and pay for it yourself. Also, we were just informed that there are plans to cut overall budgets by 10% and cut some special pays if things don't get better soon. If that occurs, I expect a mass exodus of dentists over the next few years. I'm not going to even attempt to get into the "do more with less" mantra being handed down from all levels. The additional duties are already ridiculous. I and many of my peers are not happy with the current state of military dentistry and the expectations are that it will only get worse. I'm not saying do not take the scholarship or enter the military. I'm saying make an informed decision. Some things I was told were just straight up lies. Good luck.

Just FYI to those making a decision about entering the military as a dentist. With the budget cuts headed our way and the fact that there were *****s in the government using their travel budgets for parties, CE is almost impossible to get funding for. I and several of my peers have not been able to get funding for any dental conferences for CE in the last 18 months. They now expect you to get it online or find local dental associations to try and get it. There are a few military sponsored courses available, but the good old days of picking your CE conference to travel to are over. Unless you take leave and pay for it yourself. Also, we were just informed that there are plans to cut overall budgets by 10% and cut some special pays if things don't get better soon. If that occurs, I expect a mass exodus of dentists over the next few years. I'm not going to even attempt to get into the "do more with less" mantra being handed down from all levels. The additional duties are already ridiculous. I and many of my peers are not happy with the current state of military dentistry and the expectations are that it will only get worse. I'm not saying do not take the scholarship or enter the military. I'm saying make an informed decision. Some things I was told were just straight up lies. Good luck.

This is ridiculous. Even corporate dentistry can offer better benefits. Contact your congressional leaders!

a lot of these reasons the OP put up are stupid :slap:
i would look forward to the negative experiences anyways: it would be an opportunity to make myself stronger :alien:

now all i gotta do is apply for the hpsp in the first place

Now it appears that base pay increases are falling way below inflation/private industries, BAH are getting cut, commissaries are in trouble, and even tricare might become more expensive. Unproven military projects (F35s etc.) and unnecessary orders forced on the military to keep jobs (Abram tank production) are eating away at the military budget. http://www.moaa.org/main_menu/take_...e_fees,_cut_pay,_housing,_and_commissary.html

Fortunately you don't make those decisions.
Yeah and the people who do make those decisions are IDIOTS. The main problem with government run healthcare is primarily that it is not run like a 'for profit' business. Inefficiency and creating numbers that make people look good on their OER for promotion is the name of the game. Promoting efficiency, being frugal, and giving incentives for productivity would all improve the current system. Also creating a system where the docs actually have some authority over employees would be awesome too. I'm not complaining because the military paid over 400k for me and I only owe 3 yrs payback. It's one heck of a deal for me, but if a corporation gave me a similar deal, they would expect me to produce more and give me the facilities and staff to make that happen. It's a sad system of inefficiency

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah and the people who do make those decisions are IDIOTS. The main problem with government run healthcare is primarily that it is not run like a 'for profit' business. Inefficiency and creating numbers that make people look good on their OER for promotion is the name of the game. Promoting efficiency, being frugal, and giving incentives for productivity would all improve the current system. Also creating a system where the docs actually have some authority over employees would be awesome too. I'm not complaining because the military paid over 400k for me and I only owe 3 yrs payback. It's one heck of a deal for me, but if a corporation gave me a similar deal, they would expect me to produce more and give me the facilities and staff to make that happen. It's a sad system of inefficiency

With shrinking of the military budget, I don't think they were cutting the Navy budget much, if at all. You will not lose your special pay, you may have the CE budget cut, which is nothing IMO, but most only let you go to major meetings anyway (ADA, Chicago Midwinter, etc). I couldn't attend CE while on my ship, so I did a correspondence course through Bethesda. It wasn't the greatest way to do it, but I got my CE. Also, CE isn't cheap anymore, many of my colleagues do much of their CE online.

Government has never been efficient, however, you can make things efficient for yourself at your command by being more proactive with your schedule and staff. I don't know your situation, but you can find ways to make yourself more efficient, you just have to be motivated to do it. Most are happy with the 1 hr/1 patient thing and that was how it was for me at my AEGD (may I assume you are doing a residency?). On my ship, we busted our asses to produce and gave special liberty or had parties for making our production goals. Staff want to be appreciated and they will want to produce for you when they are motivated. Command structure/climate may make that difficult, but it can be done if you really want to push yourself. Keep in mind, if you plan on getting out, you will need to be more efficient and faster. Use your time now to work on this, then when you are faster, work with whoever schedules to make a staggered schedule or to sneak in other simple procedures...like you would do in private practice.

Corporate have production goal minimums they want you to meet and will reward for more production and you may be dismissed or reprimanded for not producing (which can be tough in slow months). I think they often times walk a fine line with ethics when production becomes more important than what a patient really needs (ie. overtreatment, overselling, bundling procedure codes).

This thread is a great read for whenever I get nostalgic about my days as a Navy Dental Officer, and wonder if I should have gutted it out for a retirement check.

Reactions: 1 user
This thread is a great read for whenever I get nostalgic about my days as a Navy Dental Officer, and wonder if I should have gutted it out for a retirement check.
Yeah, it's nostalgic for about 2 seconds until you remember your much smaller your scope of dentistry would be than it is in private practice, as well as dealing with all the PCSing, OERs mandatory military yearly training crap, submitting for pass/ leaves...and all for less money than you can make in private practice working 4-4.5 days/ week.

Last edited:
What are some things you were told that are lies?