36R, 3.97 GPA, but no research - do I have a shot at the highest tiers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cantodeossanha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got some positive ECs-
1.5 years (3 hrs/week) volunteering in hospital OR
Professional musician work since high school - paid studio work, full-time band through college
1 summer as a Full-Time Intern (unpaid) working for and sitting-in on CDC Epidemiologist training course
Random other things such as shadowing and SCUBA diving license
- but absolutely no research (I've tried, might be able to score some for Fall semester if I get real lucky). Does this automatically rule me out for the top tier schools? And, if not, which ones most likely won't care/should I consider? Right now my top choices are Harvard, Columbia, and Emory, but of course I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks all

EDIT: The 36 was very balanced, 12's on all 3 sections. Also, GA resident

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was always under the impression, that if you do not particularly want to do research, then you don't have to. The US News rankings is based a lot on research, though. So if you want to apply to the top ranked schools, or want to go on to research later, then you prob should have some research experience. It's always good to check the mission of the school, too. Odds are that if they say a lot about research, then they look to see research experiences in their prospective applicants. You have some pretty interesting EC's though.

Just my two cents. I'm interested to see what other people have to say, as I have no research experience either.

Short answer, no research experience at all will be disadvantageous. You do have a very strong application though, and you might have a chance. The professional musician aspect seems very interesting and unique as well.

Try and impress your leadership ability and potential into your application.

Quick edit: The MSAR should include the percentage of acceptances (I think, haven't looked at it for a while) to students who had previous research experience. You should be able to look it up if you have a copy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got some positive ECs-
1.5 years (3 hrs/week) volunteering in hospital OR
Professional musician work since high school - paid studio work, full-time band through college
1 summer as a Full-Time Intern (unpaid) working for and sitting-in on CDC Epidemiologist training course
Random other things such as shadowing and SCUBA diving license
- but absolutely no research (I've tried, might be able to score some for Fall semester if I get real lucky). Does this automatically rule me out for the top tier schools? And, if not, which ones most likely won't care/should I consider? Right now my top choices are Harvard, Columbia, and Emory, but of course I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks all

EDIT: The 36 was very balanced, 12's on all 3 sections. Also, GA resident

I've been told by many, many doctors that where you do your residency is waay more important than where you attend medical school.

I've been told by many, many doctors that where you do your residency is waay more important than where you attend medical school.

This may be true, but using it as an argument against someone who wants to go to a highly-reputable medical school is contingent on the fact that the reputations of the prestigious schools are superficial. Do you think that these schools are just big names and don't better prepare their students to succeed in medical school and beyond?