34Q, 4.0/4.0, but very little volunteering!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigBlueBear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
12 PS, 12 BS, 10 V on my MCAT

4.0/4.0 GPAs, majoring in biomedical engineering

Arizona Resident

My problem is that I only have about 30 hours of clinical volunteer experience (I was just a transporter-boy and got frustrated when they wouldn't switch me to something fun like they promised they would! :p. I have absolutely 0 research, and only about 40 hours of doctor shadowing.

I have tons of non-medical volunteer experience, I'm an assistant Academic Decathlon Coach at my old high school, I volunteer as a little league umpire every saturday, I'm the founder of a robotics club, etc. But the medical stuff is definitely lacking :thumbdown:

What do you guys think? I'd be very happy with either of the UofA schools, but I'm really worried!

Members don't see this ad.

Arizona Resident

My problem is that I only have about 30 hours of clinical volunteer experience (I was just a transporter-boy and got frustrated when they wouldn't switch me to something fun like they promised they would! :p. I have absolutely 0 research, and only about 40 hours of doctor shadowing.

I have tons of non-medical volunteer experience, I'm an assistant Academic Decathlon Coach at my old high school, I volunteer as a little league umpire every saturday, I'm the founder of a robotics club, etc. But the medical stuff is definitely lacking :thumbdown:

What do you guys think? I'd be very happy with either of the UofA schools, but I'm really worried!
Why not call your in-state schools and ask them for guidelines of what they're looking for. Alternatively, read through last year's school-specific threads for those institutions and see if you can glean the needed information from others' experience.

Arizona Resident

You sound like you're in pretty decent shape to apply. I would steer clear of the research giants, but the less research-heavy schools will likely be quite interested. I only had about 100 hours of clinical experience when I submitted my AMCAS, and I got more interview invites than I knew what to do with.