30s and Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamsAndDelusions

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the backstory -

I am 28 and planning on applying for medical school, so I'll probably be 30 when I start. I graduated with a Biochem/Bio in 2010 with the hopes of going to med school but life events got in the way. But here I am still thinking about going to med school. In my research I found out that because my undergrad degree is 6 years old, many schools will require me to re-take some/all(?) of my science classes. Are there any schools that do not have this requirement? Anyone have experience around this matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Here is the backstory -

I am 28 and planning on applying for medical school, so I'll probably be 30 when I start. I graduated with a Biochem/Bio in 2010 with the hopes of going to med school but life events got in the way. But here I am still thinking about going to med school. In my research I found out that because my undergrad degree is 6 years old, many schools will require me to re-take some/all(?) of my science classes. Are there any schools that do not have this requirement? Anyone have experience around this matter?
Not necessarily true. I know some schools (Duke comes to mind?) require prereqs to be less than 5 or 10 years old, but none of the schools I applied to or was even interested in had that requirement. However, most MD programs like to see recent grades. A few As in graduate classes should be sufficient to demonstrate that you're sill academically at the top of your game.

Here is the backstory -

My undergrad degree was 7 years old when I applied (with most of my prereqs even older than that). None of the schools I applied to cared or commented. Just do well on the MCAT to prove you know your stuff. I did take a CC course while I was still working to get a least one LOR from a professor who taught me. I don't know if schools would have given me exceptions or not, but I thought it was worth it.

There may be some schools with a time limit under 10 years for coursework, but they are not the majority, so I would just avoid them if you can rather retake your coursework. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're recent enough that this shouldn't be an issue for most schools. You will need a stronger MCAT though.

I'm sure you could apply without recent course work and do fine. I actually did, and got IIs before I decided to take grad classes in the fall; one of the schools that accepted me was not even aware I was in grad school until after I was accepted. However, the dean of admissions at my top choice strongly encouraged me to take at least two classes. When I updated that school that I earned As on my midterms, I got an II there within days of emailing them, and I will be attending this fall! So the longer answer is that while taking classes now probably isn't necessary, it may significantly improve your chances at some schools. It's worth asking if there is one school you really want to attend!

bro you'll be 40 by the time you're net worth will be coming out of the negatives . I think it's a little late to consider med school

edit: unless you're fine with that

30 is hardly too old to consider med school. If op was 45 that would be a different story. He can be an attending by 37 and have 30 years of gainful practice easily.

Reactions: 2 users
bro you'll be 40 by the time you're net worth will be coming out of the negatives . I think it's a little late to consider med school

...and in the category of questions not asked by OP...

Reactions: 8 users
I will be starting med school as a 32 yo. I don't think this is a huge issue, especially if you are (1) single or (2) have a very supportive significant other who can carry the family financially.

I will be starting med school as a 32 yo. I don't think this is a huge issue, especially if you are (1) single or (2) have a very supportive significant other who can carry the family financially.
That's not necessarily true either. While it's ideal to have financial support, lots of families survive medical school without it.

Reactions: 1 user
Not necessarily true. I know some schools (Duke comes to mind?) require prereqs to be less than 5 or 10 years old, but none of the schools I applied to or was even interested in had that requirement. However, most MD programs like to see recent grades. A few As in graduate classes should be sufficient to demonstrate that you're sill academically at the top of your game.

Thanks for the response. Will they take As from my MBA program? I am guessing not.

I fully understand the consequences of my decision.

30 is hardly too old to consider med school. If op was 45 that would be a different story. He can be an attending by 37 and have 30 years of gainful practice easily.
That's what I was thinking. Thanks for reinforcing my belief.

OP is only 5 years older than the average matriculant. So s/he will be out of the red at age 40 vs 35. Ask any 40 year old how different they feel or how different their life is in these years and you will see that 5 years is a wash at that age. Also, some people retire at 55 and others retire at 75. OP could do either and be fine financially.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sure you could apply without recent course work and do fine. I actually did, and got IIs before I decided to take grad classes in the fall; one of the schools that accepted me was not even aware I was in grad school until after I was accepted. However, the dean of admissions at my top choice strongly encouraged me to take at least two classes. When I updated that school that I earned As on my midterms, I got an II there within days of emailing them, and I will be attending this fall! So the longer answer is that while taking classes now probably isn't necessary, it may significantly improve your chances at some schools. It's worth asking if there is one school you really want to attend!
That is a good point. I haven't done enough research to set my mind on one school. As many others, I'll be taking the shotgun approach.

An issue I faced applying as a 30 year old (who graduated in 2007) was more with letters of recommendation. Many schools will let you out of professor letter requirements, but a few schools would not let me substitute research PI supervisors for "science professor" letters. It could be worth it to take a few DIY post-bac classes not only to have more recent grades but also to get the required letters. Even if they aren't great letters they will get your foot in the door at the schools that require them.

An issue I faced applying as a 30 year old (who graduated in 2007) was more with letters of recommendation. Many schools will let you out of professor letter requirements, but a few schools would not let me substitute research PI supervisors for "science professor" letters. It could be worth it to take a few DIY post-bac classes not only to have more recent grades but also to get the required letters. Even if they aren't great letters they will get your foot in the door at the schools that require them.

I did this. I was working full time and just took a Gen Chem CC course at night to get the letter. Definitely made my life easier.

Go to the non-traditional forum and get guidance. For example, a few graduate courses are not sufficient to prove academic readiness, though they can serve as a source for professor LORs. More than 10 years old is a general cut-off for science classes. Plus, retaking your basics can raise a meh GPA and refresh your brain for the MCAT.

I will graduate at 39. Many of my friends will graduate in their early 30's. You are not ****ed.