3 year old boy dies during dental procedure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Find something to attribute it to. Put a band-aid on. Then business as usual.

This is not an exact science.
The patient was very sick. Had lots of stuff going on.
Stuff happens.
No mistake was made- just one of those things.
Even if a mistake was made, carelessness or incompetence was not present. It was a judgement call.
Allergic reaction.
Unusual anatomy.
God’s will.
We did our best.
The patient was fat, smoked, used drugs. Didn’t take care of themselves.
The equipment failed. Was poorly made.
It was a perfect storm.
It was one individual’s fault. Not a systemic problem.

Etc., etc.,
What about the coroner and regulatory bodies? When there was a death in an outpatient cosmetic surgery office many years ago here in Canada, office based anaesthesia guidelines became much more stringent even though the death was not attributable to the anaesthesia

Members don't see this ad.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Totally agree! This is why anyone who is NOT a peds anesthesiologist should be intubating these kids in my opinion.
99.9% of the world's population is NOT a peds anesthesiologist. Why do you think they should be intubating instead of a peds anesthesiologist?

What about the coroner and regulatory bodies? When there was a death in an outpatient cosmetic surgery office many years ago here in Canada, office based anaesthesia guidelines became much more stringent even though the death was not attributable to the anaesthesia
Canada is NOT the USA.
Money talks in this country.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
There is always conjecture regarding these cases. We really should mandate that these cases be reviewed by students and attending once a settlement is determined. These case reports are critical to learning and are lost or hidden. I had my sister in law ask about her high risk child for similar dental case. I cancelled it and told her to get MH testing first. The chief of the outpatient dental mobile anesthesiology group stated he is way experienced and doesn’t need dantrolene, extra hands, back up plan, etc…