3 or 4 LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jb2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it look bad if a program wants 3 letters of recommendation and you send 4? I have heard that some programs do not like this. Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

yes some programs prefer applicants who can read. three means three, not four.

I was unsure of this as well. I talked to the program director at my school and he said 3 was plenty if that's what they asked for. Otherwise, it's just more paperwork for them to look through. Yet I can't help but feel that the more letters the better! Another question regarding LORs - I had noticed that one or two of the schools I am applying to request a letter from the department chariman so I set up an appointment to meet with him and he agreed to write me a letter. He'd never met me before that time as he was new to our school so I feel like I should not use his letter at any other schools I apply to. My other three letters are from faculty whom I have worked closely with. Or I could send his letter as a fourth - Any Opinions??

for most specialties, it is essential to have a chairman's letter. anything less will call your entire application into question...what specialty are you applying for?

doc05 said:
for most specialties, it is essential to have a chairman's letter. anything less will call your entire application into question...what specialty are you applying for?

Pediatrics. My PD didn't seem to think I should send the Chairman's letter to all the programs but I'm applying to some semi-competitive programs and was kind of worried by this. I'm thinking of sending all 4. But then my other worry is - should I wait and see if I can get a good letter from some of my externships for those schools before I submit all my current LORs? Maybe I should just send in a couple of letters when I submit my application and hold off a while on the other one or two. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Only a few of the Pedi programs I am applying to require (or even request) a Chairman's letter. A few asked for a LOR from my core Pedi rotation, but most just said "3 or 4" and "chairman is not required". I had just planned to send in my two LOR, a chair/core if req'd, and a "floating" third letter (have one, may ask another).

I can read, but there were a couple where I added an extra letter . . . it was a non-med school letter from a research mentor. I mostly added it to research-friendly programs. I thought it was the best letter that was written for me. Everyone else, I just did the number they asked for.

good luck

A related question, how does one send out LORs through ERAS after submitting your application (hopefully by Sept. 15th!). I don't think I'll get all my letters in by then.

ak1978 said:
A related question, how does one send out LORs through ERAS after submitting your application (hopefully by Sept. 15th!). I don't think I'll get all my letters in by then.

Your letters don't have to be in to submit your application. Your school's registrar will send the letters to ERAS when they're received, and ERAS sends them to your programs.

On a related note -- how do you find out if they want/require a chair letter? I've noticed on some program websites they talk about it -- aside from their individual websites is there a way to find out? :confused:

Cameron said:
On a related note -- how do you find out if they want/require a chair letter? I've noticed on some program websites they talk about it -- aside from their individual websites is there a way to find out? :confused:

Yeah. Ask them.

My advisor told me that the # of letters listed of frieda is a minimum and that sending 4 letters when a program list 3 is perfectly fine. I hope she was right.

doc05 said:
yes some programs prefer applicants who can read. three means three, not four.

I just thought this deserved another quote in this thread.

If they ask for three, send three. It's really that simple.

On the other hand, if someone not following the directions increases my chances of getting an interview somewhere by even the smallest margin, then I'm all for it. Hell, send five or six. It must be better than sending just three, right?

Yes, sending 4 is fine. It will not count against you despite what some of these others would have you believe. Just make sure the 4th is a good one and not just taking up space.

Seaglass said:
Yes, sending 4 is fine. It will not count against you despite what some of these others would have you believe. Just make sure the 4th is a good one and not just taking up space.

Agreed. PDs and interviewers are not all the jerks we make them out to be - if they don't want to read it, they just won't read it. I could be wrong, but I have not heard of anyone holding such a thing against an outstanding applicant. They most likely won't clog their minds with the little fact that you sent 4 really good letters instead of the required 3 - I'm sure they have lots more on their mind.

If you think it will help, send it. I did, and I got all the interviews I wanted.

good luck