3.95 GPA, 521 MCAT Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kharuf-boy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.95 GPA
521 MCAT
Basic science research lab (1500+ hours)
One mid author pub in top journal and one second author pub in mid tier journal
several university and research related awards
100 hours non-clinical volunteering, primarily worked with indigenous populations
150 hours clinical at time of graduation
intramural soccer for a couple years
held leadership positions in a club
ta for a semester
junior at midwestern flagship school

School list:

my state's school

mayo and mayo AZ

uva

umichigan

ohio state

u iowa

u pitt

unc

harvard

duke

wash u

vanderbilt

upenn

northwestern

baylor

ucsf

jefferson

medical college of wisconsin

emory

I want to apply to about 20 schools. I am afraid that I might be applying too top heavy though...

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What did you do for your clinical hours? Do you also have some shadowing experience?

Assuming your clinical hours are legit and you have some shadowing experience, you should be applying to top 20 + state schools + a few mid tiers.

You should remove the following schools for the following reasons:

Iowa: not necessary with your stats
UNC: extremely preferential towards NC applicants
Baylor: preferential towards TX applicants
Jefferson: outside your ideal stat range
MCW: outside of your ideal stat range

You should add:

Stanford
Hopkins
Columbia
Yale
NYU
Cornell
Sinai
USC-Keck

If you feel obligated to remove any more, I would remove the two Mayo schools. You have a solid mid-tier base (UVA, Ohio State, Emory) that will be rounded out well by adding Keck.

Applying top heavy with your app is a good way to go. You want to make the school list fit the profile.

Reactions: 1 user
What did you do for your clinical hours? Do you also have some shadowing experience?

Assuming your clinical hours are legit and you have some shadowing experience, you should be applying to top 20 + state schools + a few mid tiers.

You should add:

Stanford
Hopkins
Columbia
Yale
NYU
Cornell
Sinai
USC-Keck

If you feel obligated to remove any more, I would remove the two Mayo schools. You have a solid mid-tier base (UVA, Ohio State, Emory) that will be rounded out well by adding Keck.

Applying top heavy with your app is a good way to go. You want to make the school list fit the profile.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll be sure to add some of these schools. I will have around 40 hours of shadowing before I submit my application. My clinical volunteering consists of hospital and hospice volunteering that I have done over about 3 years and 1 years, respectively.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback, I'll be sure to add some of these schools. I will have around 40 hours of shadowing before I submit my application. My clinical volunteering consists of hospital and hospice volunteering that I have done over about 3 years and 1 years, respectively.

Great. Best of luck. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I'd recommend considering Hofstra, BU, Case, Einstein and Emory as well. You're golden; nothing wrong with aiming high, but i'd still recommend some more clinical volunteering.

You should add:

Stanford
Hopkins
Columbia
Yale
NYU
Cornell
Sinai
USC-Keck

Thank you my main man, Goro. Your wisdom and infinite knowledge is much appreciated.

I'd recommend considering Hofstra, BU, Case, Einstein and Emory as well. You're golden; nothing wrong with aiming high, but i'd still recommend some more clinical volunteering.
Be sure to add Stony Brook as well.
Surprised you didn't mention it @Goro