3.9 GPA, 31M, masters degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemicalKat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
High GPA in biochemistry, nutrition science. Master's degree in developmental neurobiology. MCAT = 31 (11 bio, 9 phys, 11 verb, Q written). I have extensive research experience, well over 4 years worth not including my masters. My extra curriculars are pretty spectacular as well including a dozen honor societies and high activity in the school rowing team. This is my second round of applications. Last year I applied to one school, my state school of Kansas University and was rejected for 2 reasons: 1. I had zero volunteer/shadowing, and 2. I couldn't convince the board that I actually wanted to become a doctor at the interview. I've thought long and hard about the interview and I'm confident that I will do better this time around. I'm still low on volunteer hours which is around 30 hours. Shadowing I've had a lot of trouble with and that's still sitting at zero. Clearly this is the biggest weakness in my application. I am applying to several schools this time around: Kansas, Nebraska, Creighton, Medical college of Georgia, Arkansas, Mercer, Emory, and Tulane. I have official residency in Kansas but I currently live in Georgia. My questions are as such:

1. What are my chances to each of the schools with my volunteer/shadowing hours as is?

2. Obviously the hours should come up, by roughly how much?

3. How will my residency play a role in this? As I understand it, you can live outside the state of Kansas for up to 5 years and still be considered a resident. In Georgia, all you need is a Georgia drivers liscense. On the AMCAS application you can only list 1 permanent state of residence.

4. I've been made aware that state schools don't like it when you leave your state of residency when applying to med school, any hints for the interview?

Thanks! You guys are great!

Members don't see this ad.

Forgot, also would like to apply to Michigan State

technically I'm nontraditional too. Been out of college for a year now. Currently teaching, coaching rowing, and trying to figure out how to be a doctor!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck with MSU, its a great program to be in!

Apply early!!!!!!!!!!!!! As in, if you havn't already done your AMCAS/AOCOMAS then for shame!!

As for the interview questions, your go to answer should always be that you love medicine, flat and simple. Stick with that theme and you can't go wrong. First of all its true, because if you didn't you wouldn't have gone through all the b/s it takes to actually get in. Secondly, just be honest with the interviewer. Don't think about saying what they want to hear or the perfect answer. Just be truthful, and genuine, and you'll nail it.

Good Luck!

High GPA in biochemistry, nutrition science. Master's degree in developmental neurobiology. MCAT = 31 (11 bio, 9 phys, 11 verb, Q written). I have extensive research experience, well over 4 years worth not including my masters. My extra curriculars are pretty spectacular as well including a dozen honor societies and high activity in the school rowing team. This is my second round of applications. Last year I applied to one school, my state school of Kansas University and was rejected for 2 reasons: 1. I had zero volunteer/shadowing, and 2. I couldn't convince the board that I actually wanted to become a doctor at the interview. I've thought long and hard about the interview and I'm confident that I will do better this time around. I'm still low on volunteer hours which is around 30 hours. Shadowing I've had a lot of trouble with and that's still sitting at zero. Clearly this is the biggest weakness in my application. I am applying to several schools this time around: Kansas, Nebraska, Creighton, Medical college of Georgia, Arkansas, Mercer, Emory, and Tulane. I have official residency in Kansas but I currently live in Georgia. My questions are as such:

1. What are my chances to each of the schools with my volunteer/shadowing hours as is?
I bolded schools that look for well-rounded applications, and really emphasize ECs. I would replace with Hofstra and UCF.
2. Obviously the hours should come up, by roughly how much?
Your volunteering should be at 100 or more, and shadowing 50 (for your particular profile, not particularly strong on the MCAT, shadowing, or other ECs for that matter, out-shine the lower MCAT and average GPA(?))
3. How will my residency play a role in this? As I understand it, you can live outside the state of Kansas for up to 5 years and still be considered a resident. In Georgia, all you need is a Georgia drivers liscense. On the AMCAS application you can only list 1 permanent state of residence.
KA of GA residency will help you a lot.
4. I've been made aware that state schools don't like it when you leave your state of residency when applying to med school, any hints for the interview?

Thanks! You guys are great!
I do not know.