3.88cGPA 3.96 sGPA 30 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IV Zulu VI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All.

-Stats-

Academics

Biochemistry Major
3.92 cGPA, 3.96 sGPA
30 MCAT (11BS,10PS,9VR)

Clinical Experience:

75+ Hours volunteering at ER/ICU/Psychiatric Hospital ( Spread over 3 years)
200+ Hours Shadowing ER/Radiologist/Orthopedic/Psychiatrist (FORMAL and DOCUMENTED)
6 Months as an ER Scribe (Document and work with physicians on a day to day basis creating Histories and Exam Findings, as well as interpreting objective Radiology results)

Leadership:

Co-Founded a Medical Service Trip to Costa Rica/Nicaragua

ECs (Non-Clinical)

General Service Club Member (60+ hours)
Habitat for Humanity Contributor (30+ hours)
Relay for Life Organizer (10 hours)
Medical Service Trip Coordinator (20+ hours)
Motorcyclist->Currently have my Motorcycle License
NYS Pistol Permit (Firearms have always been a fascination, NY State champion in high school .22 longrifle, assist in teaching firearm safety courses with NRA professors)

Letters of Recommendation:

2 Science Professor (1 Research Mentor)
1 Nurse Manager
2 M.D.s I worked with on a Day to Day Basis
1 Philosophy Professor
School Advisory Letter Exceptional Rating (BEST)

Work Experience:

ER Scribe (as mentioned before)
Physics/Math Tutor (6 mo.)
Research Assistant (1.5 years)
Amusement Park Safety Supervisor (5 years)

Demographics:

White
NY Resident
21 Years old

Seems like NY state schools favor NY residents and that's preferably where I would like to go, but will also entertain the idea of easier private schools for entry as well as DO? Will apply as early as I can in the cycle (June). So how do I look as far as that is concerned? Any slam dunk MD schools to consider nationwide?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All.

-Stats-

Academics

Biochemistry Major
3.92 cGPA, 3.96 sGPA
30 MCAT (11BS,10PS,9VR)

Clinical Experience:

75+ Hours volunteering at ER/ICU/Psychiatric Hospital ( Spread over 3 years)
200+ Hours Shadowing ER/Radiologist/Orthopedic/Psychiatrist (FORMAL and DOCUMENTED)
6 Months as an ER Scribe (Document and work with physicians on a day to day basis creating Histories and Exam Findings, as well as interpreting objective Radiology results)

Leadership:

Co-Founded a Medical Service Trip to Costa Rica/Nicaragua

ECs (Non-Clinical)

General Service Club Member (60+ hours)
Habitat for Humanity Contributor (30+ hours)
Relay for Life Organizer (10 hours)
Medical Service Trip Coordinator (20+ hours)
Motorcyclist->Currently have my Motorcycle License
NYS Pistol Permit (Firearms have always been a fascination, NY State champion in high school .22 longrifle, assist in teaching firearm safety courses with NRA professors)

Letters of Recommendation:

2 Science Professor (1 Research Mentor)
1 Nurse Manager
2 M.D.s I worked with on a Day to Day Basis
1 Philosophy Professor
School Advisory Letter Exceptional Rating (BEST)

Work Experience:

ER Scribe (as mentioned before)
Physics/Math Tutor (6 mo.)
Research Assistant (1.5 years)
Amusement Park Safety Supervisor (5 years)

Demographics:

White
NY Resident
21 Years old

Seems like NY state schools favor NY residents and that's preferably where I would like to go, but will also entertain the idea of easier private schools for entry as well as DO? Will apply as early as I can in the cycle (June). So how do I look as far as that is concerned? Any slam dunk MD schools to consider nationwide?

I'd look into the NY state schools and a few of the private ones in NY. You shouldn't have to go DO at all unless you feel you really need the safety net. I think you'll be fine for at least one of your state schools. You don't need the underlined letters (the Nurse manager and one of the MD's) unless schools ask for more (are you able to get a committee letter from ur undergrad?). Also if you are planning on DO they like to see an LOR from a DO, not an MD.

You could also try NYMC, Temple, Drexel (for others I'd pick up an MSAR and check the requirements and don't pick any too far above ur stats.

Was the MCAT balanced btw?

Yes, my school will be providing a commitee letter as well as the culmination of my submitted letters. My MCAT was 9 VR, 11BS, 10PS so I suppose I would consider that somewhat balanced. I have looked into shadowing a DO this upcoming month because I do plan on applying to a few DO schools as a safety net. SUNY UB or SUNY Upstate are my preferred schools though and I would like to hope I have a chance there.

Thanks

Any other opinions welcome

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you need to apply DO unless you're interested in it due to the fact that im sure youll get into an MD school if you apply early.

i have a friend with similar stats who got into a UC..i wouldnt be too worried, just write great statements and you'll be fine