~3.78 cGPA/sGPA, low 30s MCAT, limited ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

circulus vitios

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduate in December and I'll be applying for the 2013-2014 cycle.

Applied math major (small, low-ranking state school)
Pennsylvania resident
sGPA/cGPA: ~3.78
Low 30s MCAT (not taking for a while, but anticipating a 32-34)

ECs:
15-20 hr/wk non-medical/non-academic job during school year for 5 years
30-50 hr/wk non-medical/non-academic jobs over summers
Small leadership rolls at both jobs (training employees and occasionally directing work.)
Physician shadowing ~75 hours over this coming summer (anticipated)
Volunteering ~100 hours over the next year (anticipated)
Dean's list/president's list (if you can call that an EC)
No research experience

Note: Because my school doesn't offer the standard bio i & ii classes, these prereqs are substituted with zoology w/ lab, cell bio w/ lab, and molecular bio. It doesn't seem to be an issue at most schools.

I realize I'm not top tier material. In state, I'm looking at all MD and DO schools in my state, except for U Pitt and U Penn. Out of state, probably most of the DO schools across the country and also the OOS friendly lower tier MD schools.

Is it worth applying, or will my lack of ECs screw me over? Any tips? I realize how important research is but the biology department is the only department doing research. I don't think they would let me (a senior math major with only a few bio courses under his belt) do any research because they save their budget/projects for the bio majors who do it as part of their degree requirement.

Members don't see this ad.

What is it that draws you to medicine? Your GPA is fine, but your ECs don't show much in the way of applied science/humanitarian interests. Any medical school is going to want to see the ways in which you have explored your interest in medicine. Your shadowing is good, but I would like to see some biological research/hospital volunteering (especially the latter). You should focus on these things before you start considering which schools to apply to (not to mention your MCAT score will make or break you for many schools).

What is it that draws you to medicine? Your GPA is fine, but your ECs don't show much in the way of applied science/humanitarian interests. Any medical school is going to want to see the ways in which you have explored your interest in medicine. Your shadowing is good, but I would like to see some biological research/hospital volunteering (especially the latter). You should focus on these things before you start considering which schools to apply to (not to mention your MCAT score will make or break you for many schools).

My father was in an accident when I was younger (cervical spine fracture) and I saw first-hand how medicine can recover and improve lives. I like medicine's applicability to real world problems -- using science/an understanding of science to directly improve the lives of others. And the usual combination of career stability and earning potential.

The volunteering will be at a hospital.

Is my anticipated MCAT really "make or break" for lower tiered schools? I thought a 32-34 was slightly above average.

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduate in December and I'll be applying for the 2013-2014 cycle.

Applied math major (small, low-ranking state school)
Pennsylvania resident
sGPA/cGPA: ~3.78
Low 30s MCAT (not taking for a while, but anticipating a 32-34)

ECs:
15-20 hr/wk non-medical/non-academic job during school year for 5 years
30-50 hr/wk non-medical/non-academic jobs over summers
Small leadership rolls at both jobs (training employees and occasionally directing work.)
Physician shadowing ~75 hours over this coming summer (anticipated)
Volunteering ~100 hours over the next year (anticipated)
Dean's list/president's list (if you can call that an EC)
No research experience

Note: Because my school doesn't offer the standard bio i & ii classes, these prereqs are substituted with zoology w/ lab, cell bio w/ lab, and molecular bio. It doesn't seem to be an issue at most schools.

I realize I'm not top tier material. In state, I'm looking at all MD and DO schools in my state, except for U Pitt and U Penn. Out of state, probably most of the DO schools across the country and also the OOS friendly lower tier MD schools.

Is it worth applying, or will my lack of ECs screw me over? Any tips? I realize how important research is but the biology department is the only department doing research. I don't think they would let me (a senior math major with only a few bio courses under his belt) do any research because they save their budget/projects for the bio majors who do it as part of their degree requirement.
You mean that you won't be applying until a year from now, right (which would be the 2013-2014 cycle)? I find it unlikely you'd do well with MD or DO applications as you are now. You have plenty of time to beef up your activities prior to submitting in 14 months.

Shadowing 75 hours is above average. Be sure to include a primary care doc on your list.

Getting all your clinical experience in just one year isn't ideal, but will probably do (1.5 years being the average listed). I suggest you start as soon as possible, aiming for 150 hours total.

You don't mention any nonmedical community service, which is very important at some schools. Perhaps you could find a cause you care about and give it 2 hours per week.

Your reason for not having research works for me, but I agree that you probably shouldn't apply to research-oriented schools like Pitt and Penn as you have no "outstanding performance in another field of endeavor" to compensate fior the lack.

It's good to see you have some leadership. Any teaching? Don't forget hobbies, sports, and artistic endeavors.
Is my anticipated MCAT really "make or break" for lower tiered schools? I thought a 32-34 was slightly above average.
It is, but you haven't earned it yet. We don't see a lot of accuracy with score predictions here. As they say: There's "many a slip twixt the cup and the lip."

You mean that you won't be applying until a year from now, right (which would be the 2013-2014 cycle)? I find it unlikely you'd do well with MD or DO applications as you are now. You have plenty of time to beef up your activities prior to submitting in 14 months.

Shadowing 75 hours is above average. Be sure to include a primary care doc on your list.

Getting all your clinical experience in just one year isn't ideal, but will probably do (1.5 years being the average listed). I suggest you start as soon as possible, aiming for 150 hours total.

You don't mention any nonmedical community service, which is very important at some schools. Perhaps you could find a cause you care about and give it 2 hours per week.

Your reason for not having research works for me, but I agree that you probably shouldn't apply to research-oriented schools like Pitt and Penn as you have no "outstanding performance in another field of endeavor" to compensate fior the lack.

It's good to see you have some leadership. Any teaching? Don't forget hobbies, sports, and artistic endeavors.
It is, but you haven't earned it yet. We don't see a lot of accuracy with score predictions here. As they say: There's "many a slip twixt the cup and the lip."

Yes, I'll be submitting applications in 2013.

Is non-medical volunteering something they look for now? I thought medical and non-medical service were all the same to admissions committees.

No teaching or sports. I do have a few hobbies but they're not worth mentioning. I don't compete and I'm not particularly skilled or talented at them. They're time-wasters, really.

Yes, I'll be submitting applications in 2013.

1) Is non-medical volunteering something they look for now? I thought medical and non-medical service were all the same to admissions committees.

2) No teaching or sports. I do have a few hobbies but they're not worth mentioning. I don't compete and I'm not particularly skilled or talented at them. They're time-wasters, really.
1) This seems increasingly looked for (beside the humanistically-oriented med schools that always expected it). Unfortunately, we've seen applicants rejected with the lack of it cited as the reason by the school. You can still get an acceptance somewhere without it (especially if your clinical experience was a volunteer activity), but it's probably a better idea to have your application appeal to the widest number of schools.

2) Even mundane hobbies like knitting afgans, cooking enchiladas or grandma's dumplings, engine tuneup, pingpong, Bollywood movie collecting, Starwars model building, raising future seeing-eye pups, family camping trips, working out, reading 18th century English history, etc are worth listing, as adcomms want to know that you have stress-relieving activites. Often this is what makes an application stand out from the sea of EC look-alikes and snags an interview invitation.

1) This seems increasingly looked for (beside the humanistically-oriented med schools that always expected it). Unfortunately, we've seen applicants rejected with the lack of it cited as the reason by the school. You can still get an acceptance somewhere without it (especially if your clinical experience was a volunteer activity), but it's probably a better idea to have your application appeal to the widest number of schools.

2) Even mundane hobbies like knitting afgans, cooking enchiladas or grandma's dumplings, engine tuneup, pingpong, Bollywood movie collecting, Starwars model building, raising future seeing-eye pups, family camping trips, working out, reading 18th century English history, etc are worth listing, as adcomms want to know that you have stress-relieving activites. Often this is what makes an application stand out from the sea of EC look-alikes and snags an interview invitation.

Regarding #2, really? Would these mundane hobbies be listed on my AMCAS primary alongside my academic accomplishments, or is there a separate section for non-academic interests?

Regarding #2, really? Would these mundane hobbies be listed on my AMCAS primary alongside my academic accomplishments, or is there a separate section for non-academic interests?
Yep. There is a category in the AMCAS Experiences section called Hobbies (most applicants group them together into one space) and another for Artistic Endeavors. If something you do doesn't seem to fit in one of the provided categories, there's a catch-all designation called Other. These listings will be right next to your Community Service/Volunteer, Employment, Research, Leadership, Teaching, Honors/Awards, Intercollegiate Sports, etc.