3.76s/3.79c 31R ~ Wisconsin Resident, Virginia university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apiaristwannabe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you look at my school list please and offer an additions or other suggestions?

Major: Neuroscience
Undergrad: VA school
Wisconsin resident
MCAT: 31R (11P/9V/11B)
Applying this cycle.

I am extremely worried about my MCAT score. I'm practicing every single day for a June 21 test date.

Activities/Experience/Research:

Cardiovascular Pre-Operating Room Volunteer- (2 semesters/ 4-6hrs/week - ongoing- 220 hours+) Duties included setting up anesthesiology tables, explaining initial procedures to patients, cleaning rooms, communicating with families throughout surgeries, etc. Extensive interaction with doctors and nurses.

Hospital Patient Services- (4 months-4-6hrs/week -85hours total) Duties included discharging patients from the hospital and making blood and pharmacy runs for doctors, nurses, and hospital staff.

Community Service Volunteer: (141 total volunteer hours) Worked for 80 hours at an elementary school in an autistic classroom assisting a teacher. I also volunteered at the Glide Homeless Shelter serving food, tutored impoverished children at an after school program, and helped out at daycare center.

Shadowing experience- No shadowing experience as of yet but dates are set in June for about 30 hours. I also have access to the surgery observation at the hospital so dates are set end of May and early June for an additional 10-15 hours as well.

Biochemistry Lab Assistant: (1000+ hours/ 3 semesters-ongoing) - Work in a biochemistry and proteomics laboratory. Presented at two poster conferences (ACS sponsored). Possibility of a 2nd author paper but not likely by the time I apply.

Organic Chemistry and Gen Chem Undergrad paid tutor- (2 semesters, leadership experience) Worked as a chemistry tutor for university students for 1 semester and then became a founding tutor of the Organic tutoring center. Handled anywhere from 5 to 20 students at a time.

Founded Outdoors and Environmental education club -(2 semesters, leadership experience) Dealt with administrative club duties, handled environmental service projects, planned two camping trips and other minor club activities.

Chess team/club - (2 years, vice president 1 year, leadership experience) Attended all club meetings and handled club events throughout the year.

Editorial Newspaper Staff Writer (2 school newspapers) 2.5 years - Wrote more than 25 political opinion articles

5 jobs over 4 years- office depot, census worker, cafeteria employee, baseball stadium server,
-->certified snowboard instructor (in highschool) - taught children 5-18 years old how to snowboard (3 years/3winters)

High honors Deans List every semester (8 semesters)

Provost Achievement Scholarship - for perfect grades (1 semester)

4 Letters of Recommendation:
All strong letters
1 Genetics Professor
1 Organic Chemistry Professor
1 Chinese Language Professor
1 Research PI

School List:

Albany
Einstein
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Hofstra
Jefferson
Loyola
MC Wisconsin
New York MC
Penn State
Rush
Temple
Tulane
Vermont
UVA
Wisconsin
Virginia Commonwealth
Virginia Tech

Thank you all!

I'm looking for school suggestions if you have any. I'd like to add some more, or change around some of the schools already on the list.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
what's your mcat breakdown?

11ps 11bs 9v

give or take 1 point on the PS and Verbal.

I'm taking the test June 21, but MCAT practice tests show these scores.

Last edited:
11ps 11bs 9v

give or take 1 point on the PS and Verbal.

I'm taking the test June 21, but MCAT practice tests show these scores.
Were you advised to retake by someone? I scored lower than you and was told by many ppl not to. The risk of doing worse + the delayed app just wasnt worth it. Of course its up to you and if you're doing dramatically better on practice tests than by all means go ahead but I think that score will get you in somewhere...

I misunderstood. You haven't taken it yet?

Were you advised to retake by someone? I scored lower than you and was told by many ppl not to. The risk of doing worse + the delayed app just wasnt worth it. Of course its up to you and if you're doing dramatically better on practice tests than by all means go ahead but I think that score will get you in somewhere...

I misunderstood. You haven't taken it yet?

Oh, yes. I'm sorry. The score I posted was a score based on practice test numbers. I'm taking the MCAT for the first time on June 21.

If you get a 31 w that break down on the real thing you'll be fine.

Do you have any ideas for my list of schools? Can you suggest some schools to add to the list or take off?

I'd like to add about 5 more to make it 25.

Side Question: Would I be a competitive enough applicant to apply to Emory or Dartmouth?

Last edited:
Do you have any ideas for my list of schools? Can you suggest some schools to add to the list or take off?

I'd like to add about 5 more to make it 25.

Side Question: Would I be a competitive enough applicant to apply to Emory or Dartmouth?

A 31 score would give you a chance but Idk about being competitive. I would assume to be competitive you'd have to score close to 33 or above.