3.69 GPA, 502 MCAT, NY Resident - DO Chances? Retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JudgeIsInTheHouse

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.69 GPA, 3.61 sGPA, 502 MCAT (CP 126/CARS 123/BB 127/PS 126). Could retake this upcoming Saturday, July 22nd but trying to see if it's worth the retake considering the time game.

Around 700 hours as an EMT (over half is volunteer)
2 semesters Bio TA
40 hours shadowing MD, trying to get some DO shadowing in the near future
Around 600 part time job hours
2 years of research with a few poster presentations

What schools should I apply to? Do you think I should go with this score? There's a possibility I'll improve my CARS by like a point or two, but I don't see it getting much better than that. I could retake, see how I feel, and void at the end. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't retake. You're competitive for most DO schools with that GPA. Get that DO letter if you can. Apply to all schools except Touro-Ca, CCOM, AZCOM, LUCOM if you can afford it. Target the newer schools first. CARS is the most difficulty subsection to improve on and also gets the most slack from ADCOMs.

Reactions: 1 user
Your GPAs are slightly above what I had in undergrad (3.59, 3.58) and same MCAT. I sent in 17 secondaries and received 13 interviews & 4 acceptances. You'll be fine almost anywhere except maybe CCOM, the Touros, and maybe RVU!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPAs are slightly above what I had in undergrad (3.59, 3.58) and same MCAT. I sent in 17 secondaries and received 13 interviews & 4 acceptances. You'll be fine almost anywhere except maybe CCOM, the Touros, and maybe RVU!

Ok wow. That gives me confidence! Thank you!

What do you think was special about your application? URM? Compelling story?

What do you think was special about your application? URM? Compelling story?

Honestly nothing lol. Just zero red flags, no Cs, lots of ECs, white guy so not URM. I write well so I think my secondaries helped me.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't retake. You're competitive for most DO schools with that GPA. Get that DO letter if you can. Apply to all schools except Touro-Ca, CCOM, AZCOM, LUCOM if you can afford it. Target the newer schools first. CARS is the most difficulty subsection to improve on and also gets the most slack from ADCOMs.
100% agree!!!