3.67 overall GPA, 3.42 BCPM, 31Q MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mightym2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a nontraditional applicant whose been out of school for a few years. I graduated magna cum laude from an Ivy League college and then did postbacc work. I got one C my junior year in Orgo, but have gotten mostly A's in my postbacc work, including Orgo II.

I am about to submit my primary, but am debating whether to retake the MCAT in August (I would submit now so my scores would just arrive and automatically update). I got a 9PS, 10V, 12BS and wasn't planning to do so until my premed advisor suggested that I consider it because of the 9PS. I have been taking practice tests the past few weeks and have gone up significantly (last one was 12PS, 13V, 9BS), but I haven't had the time to study as much as I should.

My proposed test date is about 4.5 weeks away, and I am really busy at work - so I am wondering, is retaking worth it? A lot of people I know have still interviewed at great schools (Harvard, Duke, BU) with a 9 in a section and similar GPA to me. Furthermore, since I've been out of school awhile and have a strong upward trend in my grades, many people have been telling me I should just focus on getting my secondaries in as fast as I can (e.g. be complete by early Sept). My most notable ECs are:

1. Professional public health work experience in three developing countries with well-known NGOs
2. 6 conference abstracts, 1 journal pub, 2 journal pubs in progress
3. Currently doing epi research at a major hospital
4. Currently volunteer 1-2x/month for five hours at a free clinic (planning to increase to weekly once apps are done); also completed >80 hours shadowing at an ED several years ago
5. Musician (play in two community groups currently)
6. SAT teacher

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You are still pretty competitive with your current stats. I would focus more on secondaries than a retake unless you know you will do much better. I think med schools are more concerned with a higher BS score than PS score. Try getting that score on multiple practices before you attempt it. My 0.02. Good luck with everything though.