3.6/519/MI. Had to face reality and re-vamp my school list, input greatly appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asnell91

Reaction score
Hello! I'm applying this cycle and after having a decent MCAT score I aimed a little too high for the school list and realized it's not gonna make up for my subpar GPA. Trying to set my sights a little more realistically and hoping for some feedback. Thank you in advance!

State/Country of Residence: Michigan (Born, Undergrad UofM)

Ties to other States/Regions: Florida (Currently Living, Working >1year)

URM? (Y/N): N

Year in School: Graduated 2 gap years

Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Neuroscience B.S.

Graduate Degrees (if applicable):

Cumulative GPA: 3.6

Science GPA: 3.4

MCAT Score(s): 519 (CP: 130, CARS: 129, BB: 131, P/S: 129)

Research Experience: 4000+ hours ~1500 of which were during undergrad, the remainder from full time employment as a research associate after graduating.

Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. first author, second author, etc.): First author poster during undergrad, third author publication in 'seminars in cancer bio' from employment. more to come but not before app :(

Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): 300 hours paid employment as a patient safety attendant, 224 working as Emergency Room Patient Ambassador

Physician Shadowing: 20 hours, neuro-onc surgeon and cutaneous onc surgeon, clinic and OR

Non-Clinical Volunteering: 100 hours with Red Cross Disaster Action Team

Other Extracurricular Activities: Club Triathlon in College, Fundrasied 1k for children's hospital with marathon run, Eagle Scout, Spanish speaker, Philosophy club co-president, personal website writing academic paper summaries

Other Employment History: No others during college.

Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): N

Specialty of Interest (if applicable):

Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): N

Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): N

SCHOOL LIST: Emory, Michigan, Case, Miami, Pitt, OSU, UCSD, Florida, USF Morsani, VCU, Brown, Cinci, WMU, IOWA, Ucolorado, Wayne

Removed: Vandy, Duke, Stanford, UVA, Sinai, Columbia

Looking to populate with more mid-tiers with a good rep, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have been living and working in Florida for over a year, won't you now qualify as a Florida resident?
You could add more Florida schools.
Thanks for your reply!

I was wondering about that, is it possible to qualify for residency in more than one state? I was unsure of which I qualify for because I know Florida in particular can be quite difficult with their residency requirements, and put Michigan to be safe since I'm still registered to vote/paid taxes there/get mail at an address there sometimes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply!

I was wondering about that, is it possible to qualify for residency in more than one state? I was unsure of which I qualify for because I know Florida in particular can be quite difficult with their residency requirements, and put Michigan to be safe since I'm still registered to vote/paid taxes there/get mail at an address there sometimes.
You have to declare residency in only one state. If you are in Florida to be a student, that won't qualify you.
But usually if you are there for employment it will. Check the details on Florida medical school websites because each state has a different set of rules.
I know the Texas rules inside & out as I live there, but I don't know the Florida rules.

You have to declare residency in only one state. If you are in Florida to be a student, that won't qualify you.
But usually if you are there for employment it will. Check the details on Florida medical school websites because each state has a different set of rules.
Understood, thank you for your advice!

Make sure to apply to all schools in your state.

You should also look into: SLU, Einstein, EVMS, Georgetown, GWU, Hofstra, Loyola, Wake Forest, Tulane, Rochester, Vermont, Albany, NYMC.

Also realize that you have a lot of state schools on there - they may be OOS friendly, but OOS applicants generally need to be above average stats wise to have success there - so check out where your GPA falls in relation to their averages for Colorado, Iowa, Florida, OSU.

I would apply to at least 20-25.

Make sure to apply to all schools in your state.

You should also look into: SLU, Einstein, EVMS, Georgetown, GWU, Hofstra, Loyola, Wake Forest, Tulane, Rochester, Vermont, Albany, NYMC.

Also realize that you have a lot of state schools on there - they may be OOS friendly, but OOS applicants generally need to be above average stats wise to have success there - so check out where your GPA falls in relation to their averages for Colorado, Iowa, Florida, OSU.

I would apply to at least 20-25.
Thank you for your advice! I'll take a second look at the state schools.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Wayne State
Michigan State
Central Michigan
U Michigan
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Toledo
Medical College Wisconsin
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Miami