3.569 GPA/35S MCAT, but discouraged re-applicant...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey everyone, this is my first post on SDN, so let me know if I get something wrong...

So I have just graduated from my school, finishing with a 3.569 GPA overall. In my major, I'm batting a little lower, around a 3.3, thanks to some issues with chemistry in my freshman year (genetics major). I know my GPA isn't the highest, but it doesn't appear to be drastically low in comparison to some others. I also have now graduated with honors, cum laude, if that counts for anything.

I took the MCAT last spring, and am happy with my score (12, 12, 11, S).

As for ECs:
--Served as treasurer for my fraternity ($200k budget) for 1 year
--Taught biology lab courses for 1.5 years
--2 separate semesters of working in research laboratories (1 at my university, the other with an outside hospital)
--40 hours of hospital volunteering

However, what makes me nervous is my experience last application cycle. I applied to 10-12 schools, and received zero interviews. When I reflect on that application attempt, I'm fairly certain that it was due to a late application (I ended up waiting until September to complete most of the secondaries, and one of my LoR writers somehow failed to upload his letter until December, holding me back on quite a few of them :eek:).

Upon further reflection, I am also worried that a lack of true clinical experience, as well as the fact that I don't have any published papers despite being in a research-based major (although I am working on a paper to publish now, which will hopefully be submitted early this summer), may also impact my application negatively.

Personally, I know that I have a tendency to second-guess myself and over-stress on things like this, but I know how competitive it is and I really want to make any necessary changes to strengthen my application. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! :xf::xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, this is my first post on SDN, so let me know if I get something wrong...

So I have just graduated from my school, finishing with a 3.569 GPA overall. In my major, I'm batting a little lower, around a 3.3, thanks to some issues with chemistry in my freshman year (genetics major). I know my GPA isn't the highest, but it doesn't appear to be drastically low in comparison to some others. I also have now graduated with honors, cum laude, if that counts for anything.

I took the MCAT last spring, and am happy with my score (12, 12, 11, S).

As for ECs:
--Served as treasurer for my fraternity ($200k budget) for 1 year
--Taught biology lab courses for 1.5 years
--2 separate semesters of working in research laboratories (1 at my university, the other with an outside hospital)
--40 hours of hospital volunteering

However, what makes me nervous is my experience last application cycle. I applied to 10-12 schools, and received zero interviews. When I reflect on that application attempt, I'm fairly certain that it was due to a late application (I ended up waiting until September to complete most of the secondaries, and one of my LoR writers somehow failed to upload his letter until December, holding me back on quite a few of them :eek:).

Upon further reflection, I am also worried that a lack of true clinical experience, as well as the fact that I don't have any published papers despite being in a research-based major (although I am working on a paper to publish now, which will hopefully be submitted early this summer), may also impact my application negatively.

Personally, I know that I have a tendency to second-guess myself and over-stress on things like this, but I know how competitive it is and I really want to make any necessary changes to strengthen my application. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! :xf::xf:

Bingo---based off of the knowledge of more senior members that I observe posting here---your lack of meaningful clinical experience is definitely a red flag. I don't think not being published is a big deal--but the lack of clinical experience definitely is.

Let's see what the pros say.

Published papers aren't the reason you didn't get in. Very few undergrads have publications. Lack of clinical xp is definitely a bigger red flag. I also don't see any shadowing on that list. I would aim for at least 60 hrs with different doctors.

Your gpa is on the lower end of the scale. With that mcat, you could expect a toss up on getting in or not. I dont have the chart (on iphone now) but search sdn for gpa/mcat vs % acceptance. Make sure your school list isn't too top heavy. Apply to your state schools!

Members don't see this ad :)
Published papers aren't the reason you didn't get in. Very few undergrads have publications. Lack of clinical xp is definitely a bigger red flag. I also don't see any shadowing on that list. I would aim for at least 60 hrs with different doctors.

Your gpa is on the lower end of the scale. With that mcat, you could expect a toss up on getting in or not. I dont have the chart (on iphone now) but search sdn for gpa/mcat vs % acceptance. Make sure your school list isn't too top heavy. Apply to your state schools!

+1. And not trying to be mean, but your ECs (if you named them all) are somewhat underwhelming. No community service?

your lack of meaningful clinical experience is definitely a red flag. I don't think not being published is a big deal.

I also don't see any shadowing on that list. I would aim for at least 60 hrs with different doctors.

+1. And not trying to be mean, but your ECs (if you named them all) are somewhat underwhelming. No community service?
Agree with the above. It would be nice to see some substantial peer leadership, too, but its lack isn't a deal killer.

Besides all that, if your BCPM GPA doesn't show a steep upward grade trend in upper-level Bio and Biochem lately, additional academic work would be helpful.

I recommend that you do not reapply at this time, until you've attended to some of these issues. Your teaching and research look terrific, though.