~3.5 GPA/3.7 sGPA (up trend)/33O Need school advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tpraolm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Been lurking for a little while but I now need some advice on what schools to apply to. Here are my ECs:

2 semesters tutoring at the science tutoring center on campus, about 500 hours (paid work)
Currently working full time as a CNA on the renal/diabetic unit since this Feb and I have been recently promoted to Unit Clerk/CNA. I have about 500 hours so far. This is really good experience that I will have TONS to talk about.
I am also holding down a part-time retail job to cover bills and help repay student loans.
I have worked since my sophomore year (20 hrs/wk avg) not an EC but worth noting.
This summer I plan on taking a leave of absence from my second job and volunteering for big brothers, big sisters as well as get some shadowing hours in but it wouldn't be until after my primary is sent out.

I am a CO resident and I am very much hoping to get into Denver for a lot of reasons. How do my chances look for Denver specifically?

Here is the current list of schools I am considering:

Penn State
Drexel
Ohio State
Iowa - Carver
Northwestern
Univ. of Maryland
Georgetown
Univ. of Miami
Rochester
NYU

That's it so far. If there are any schools worth adding or removing please let me know (i.e. should I shoot a little higher). Also, If a school does not have a research requirement in the curriculum, is it reasonable to assume that those school do not favor it as much? What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Added a school list then a question just dawned on me.

Has anyone ever had success applying to a school with fairly specific LOR req. without meeting them 100%. For example Wisconsin requires 3 letters from professors and one from a non-professor. I have 2 and 2. Would I be wasting my time? Thanks for the insight.

Hm...well, I definitely remember a few users around here getting away without a specific letter, or successfully putting 1 letter in 1 category where it was a little ambiguous, but this isn't reliable. If you don't meet the specific requirements for a school, don't count on them bending the rules for you--just apply somewhere else, if only to save yourself unnecessary worry about it.

As for URM status...well, ok, there are TONS of threads that talk about this. Is it an advantage? If you look at the AMCAS spreadsheets on applicants, people who fall into these categories tend to have higher acceptance rates, but it's been my impression from successful URM applicants and visiting adcoms that "URM" status helps because schools think that these applicants are more likely to go back and work in underserved communities (typically with higher URM numbers)--and that this is only apparent if the applicant has actually shown an interest in doing this. Since your application doesn't really suggest this to me (ie, no volunteering), I'm not sure if URM will help you that much. At the very least, it won't hurt.

Look at the MSAR before making your list--consider location, OOS acceptance rate, tuition, research, primary care focus, etc...there's a LOT to think about when choosing schools to apply to. If you're dead-set on either Denver specifically or the top 20, then I'd consider taking at least a year off to get the relevant leadership/service and/or research experience that they look for.

Hope that was helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. You're right, it probably isn't worth it applying if you don't meet the LOR requirements. I have also settled my expectations a bit regarding school choices. Please comment! Thanks

Thanks for asking that question OP. I was wondering the same. Jefferson requires a LOR from a chemistry, biology, and physics prof. I never said one word to my physics prof and I'm sure he hasn't the clue who I am so i cut that school. But I may re-add now.

When I applied I had the same issue. I called the schools and asked if they would waive the requirement. At each school with the exception of one they accommodated me. I also got interviews from those schools, so it can be done. Just be proactive and request them to waive it, just come up with a reason and you should be fine.