~3.48/3.23 and 28P

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waggles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would appreciate some wisdom on my situation. I'm currently a junior and Ohio resident. I'm debating on applying this cycle or waiting until after my senior year. Not URM, not disadvantaged. I'd prefer to stay in-state. Also, my school is on the quarter system so I would not be able to submit my application until mid to late June. I realize my gpa is pretty low and could benefit from another year of coursework. This would allow me to retake the MCAT over the summer as well.

Major: Human Nutrition

CGPA- ~3.46
BCPM- ~3.23
SGPA- ~3.39

MCAT- 9/9/10 (28P)

Here's my list of ECs

Clinical Experience-
2000+ hours as a patient transporter and radiology tech aide in a pretty large hospital. I've been able to interact with a lot patients, doctors, and other medical professionals.

Research
350+ hours I have been the lead student on a projected focused on novel approaches to childhood obesity prevention. My project includes a community cooking/nutrition education class that I teach to preschool aged children and their families. I will have 2 poster presentations at my university before this cycle, and am scheduled to present at a national meeting over the summer. I have also mentored several high school students who are interested in studying nutrition through this project.

Volunteering
-1 year of Big Brothers Big Sisters (~70 hours)
- 6 months of Habitat for Humanity (~50 hours)

Teaching
-2 Quarters of being a Physiology TA (~10 hours per week)

Shadowing
-Currently only have about 10 hours of a radiologist, but I could get more if I were to decide to apply this cycle.

Scholarships
-I'm currently a USDA multicultural scholar.

LOR
-PI from my research project
-Physiology professor that I had in class and now TA for (science)
-Nutrition Professor- simply took the class (science)
-Nutrition Professor- have known for a year, started as an M.D. (non-science)
-Work Supervisor or maybe a doctor from work

If I were to wait until next cycle, I would continue working on my research project, continue TAing, and rack up more volunteer hours.

Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I would appreciate some wisdom on my situation. I'm currently a junior and Ohio resident. I'm debating on applying this cycle or waiting until after my senior year. Not URM, not disadvantaged. I'd prefer to stay in-state. Also, my school is on the quarter system so I would not be able to submit my application until mid to late June. I realize my gpa is pretty low and could benefit from another year of coursework. This would allow me to retake the MCAT over the summer as well.

Major: Human Nutrition

CGPA- ~3.46
BCPM- ~3.23
SGPA- ~3.39

MCAT- 9/9/10 (28P)

Here's my list of ECs

Clinical Experience-
2000+ hours as a patient transporter and radiology tech aide in a pretty large hospital. I've been able to interact with a lot patients, doctors, and other medical professionals.

Research
350+ hours I have been the lead student on a projected focused on novel approaches to childhood obesity prevention. My project includes a community cooking/nutrition education class that I teach to preschool aged children and their families. I will have 2 poster presentations at my university before this cycle, and am scheduled to present at a national meeting over the summer. I have also mentored several high school students who are interested in studying nutrition through this project.

Volunteering
-1 year of Big Brothers Big Sisters (~70 hours)
- 6 months of Habitat for Humanity (~50 hours)

Teaching
-2 Quarters of being a Physiology TA (~10 hours per week)

Shadowing
-Currently only have about 10 hours of a radiologist, but I could get more if I were to decide to apply this cycle.

Scholarships
-I'm currently a USDA multicultural scholar.

LOR
-PI from my research project
-Physiology professor that I had in class and now TA for (science)
-Nutrition Professor- simply took the class (science)
-Nutrition Professor- have known for a year, started as an M.D. (non-science)
-Work Supervisor or maybe a doctor from work

If I were to wait until next cycle, I would continue working on my research project, continue TAing, and rack up more volunteer hours.

Thanks for your time!
Your stats are in line with matriculant averages for your in-state DO school right now (3.42/25). How much higher do you reasonably think you could increase your stats to in a year's time? I'd guesstimate that you still probably won't be comfortably close to your least-selective in-state MD school averages. Do you want to consider a fifth year of college or a postbac to improve your chances for an MD school?

I appreciate your reply, Catalystik. I was thinking if I were to apply next cycle I could get close to a cgpa of 3.6 and a BCPM of 3.4. I would also retake the MCAT and hope for ~33. I would not mind a year off, but I think I would take a DO acceptance over a post bac or masters program. I also have an upward trend that would continue into my senior year. I don't want to look back many years from now and regret not waiting a year to give myself a better shot at MD schools. Any flaws in my thought process?

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate your reply, Catalystik. I was thinking if I were to apply next cycle I could get close to a cgpa of 3.6 and a BCPM of 3.4. I would also retake the MCAT and hope for ~33. I would not mind a year off, but I think I would take a DO acceptance over a post bac or masters program. I also have an upward trend that would continue into my senior year. I don't want to look back many years from now and regret not waiting a year to give myself a better shot at MD schools. Any flaws in my thought process?
Verify your predictions with this tool: AMCAS GPA Calculation Spreadsheet

An MCAT of 33 with a retake could certainly help balance slightly low stats, along with a steep upward grade trend that is sustained. Go for it.

Thanks again for the advice, Catalystik. Aside from raising my mcat and gpa, do you see any other things that I should work on? I will definitely get more shadowing and volunteering in. Also, do you have any upper level courses that you would suggest I take that would look favorable from adcoms?

Your teaching and nonmedical community service could use more longevity. You need more shadowing, which should include a primary care doc, and a peer leadership activity would be nice to see.

Consider taking Biochem, Genetics, Cell Bio, and maybe Immunology keeping in mind that getting Bs won't help your case and these are tough classes. Don't bite off more than you can manage.

Sounds like a good plan. Thanks again!