3.31/3.1 (amcas), 3.35/3.2 (aacomas), 3.39/3.3 (tmdsas)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pigglyjuff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
unless you are an urm and/or score above 32 on the mcat, u got no shot at MD schools; the grades just isnt there and your gpa/mcat doesnt balance out the other. assuming you get 29 on the mcat, you will probably get in a couple of the 18 DO schools you are applying to... I got in MD never applied DO so I am not that sure about DO chances

Fine for DO schools; no chance at MD. You should have some more patient contact experiece too.

Great LOR

UG Research
Fraternity
Also employed in a lab and another job on campus.
60 hr shadowing a DO and MD
50 hr volunteering at a hospital.
A few other research opportunities.

My last three semester GPAs were in order: 3.8, 3.775, 3.85 (my first two years were bad...around a 3.1-3.0)

MCAT was terrible at 24Q, but retaking the 17th, and I am in a formal prep course now for the summer. Scoring near a 29 as of now.

I'm also in a one year SMP currently, and should get an A in my summer, 4 credit hour, course.

Applying to: 18 DO schools, all Texas schools (TX resident) and 10ish MD schools. Thoughts?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're severely lacking on EC. MD is a long shot. DO at the better schools probably expect better EC.

I think you're severely lacking on EC. MD is a long shot. DO at the better schools probably expect better EC.

Oh I didn't list everything. If it counts, I also volunteered on my schools honor panel consistently for two years, team leader for a few events, attended a conference as well. Assuming I score at least a 30, is that even a remote shot for an interview at say the 3rd tier Texas MD schools?

Oh I didn't list everything. If it counts, I also volunteered on my schools honor panel consistently for two years, team leader for a few events, attended a conference as well. Assuming I score at least a 30, is that even a remote shot for an interview at say the 3rd tier Texas MD schools?
It's hard to say. I've seen it happen, but that's part of the "luck" involved in admissions.