3.25 GPA. What do you think I could do to increase my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreamer131

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-Overall GPA: 3.25 (Organic Chemistry.. grades of C's brought down GPA)
Science GPA: 3.05
Hours Shadowed/Volunteered: 250
Lots of activities
Mostly applying to schools in Michigan

I plan to study a lot for GRE's.
Do you think working as a CNA will help?
Any other advice?:D

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying to school for this coming fall or for next year?
Did you volunteer/shadow in different types of physical therapy settings? If you didn't, you might want to do that because it can make you stand out a little more from other applicants, especially when you have such a low GPA.

hope this help.. and good luck!

you can also retake some of the classes with lower grades - I wouldn't worry about orgo though since it isn't required....try calculating your "prereq" GPA, not just your science GPA...this will make a difference too. If you got an A or a B in all your actual prereqs (gen chem, 2 bios, 2 psychs, stats, calc, 2 A&Ps, english comp, 2 physics, etc.), you're in better shape than you think you are.

Doing well on the GRE will definitely help you out too, as would having experience in a variety of settings, and maybe some medical-related work or volunteering (CNA could be helpful...I don't know that much about it/how hard it is to get certified/if it's worth it, but generally schools like exposure to the medical field in applicants so they know the applicant knows what he/she is getting into).

Members don't see this ad :)
I've done shadowing/volunteering in adult and pediatric inpatient and outpatient. I've gotten okay pre-req grades... The school that I am at has a very rigorous science program, so hopefully that reputation will help.

Gen Chem I and II: B+, A-
Bio I and II: B, B+
Psychs: A, A
Stats: B
Calc: B+
A&Ps: A, B
English: A-
Physics I and II: A-, B+

Thanks for your recommendations, I really appreciate it!

Last edited:
The right school will take you. Don't stress too much. Apply to schools that seem reachable and hopefully one will see past your grades. My prereq GPA is a little below 3.0 and I got accepted. I made up for my grades with LOTS of volunteer and paid experience in multiple settings (700 hrs) and killer essays and recommendations. Also, if you get an interview, let them know you know your grades arent the best but why you will succeed at the program at that school.
Good luck to you. Fingers crossed for ya.