3.14 cGPA, 27O MCAT... how do I look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolingglasses

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Been lurking SDN increasingly over the last two years, finally made an account last week and this is my first post.

Basically I'm looking at decent MCAT score (for DO at least) and weak GPA (thankfully not below 3.0).

My non-Sci GPA is 3.16, sGPA 3.12 (AACOMAS). There's an upward trend from when I started (2.5ish in 2004) and I think it stabilizes in the 3.1-3.7 range.

MCAT breakdown was 10V, 9B, 8P. I think my writing score would've been higher but I made a rookie mistake on my first prompt that I didn't catch until I had 10 minutes left (attacking the counterpoint instead of defending the point given). I'm hoping my MCAT is acceptable for DO... I was surprised to find it as high as it was (there was a lot of panic and bad practice test scores in the week leading up to test day!) and I'd prefer not to retake it. My plan so far is to apply widely for DO (I have about 14-16 schools on my list currently).

As for the rest of my profile, sorry if these are a bit haphazard. I'm kinda typing in stream of consciousness:

-I'm a Missouri resident.
-Biochem was not a required part of my curriculum so I've eliminated schools from my list based on whether they require it in my instruction.
-I'm a bit of a non-trad... my first degree was towards a BHS for Radiography/X-Ray Tech. I had 2000+ hands-on clinical hours in the course of my program, working directly with patients. But right after I finished the program, I went straight back to school to get the rest of my medical school pre-reqs (this is explained in my PS). Was not sure if this was "volunteer" or how to otherwise categorize this... but it was a huge factor in my decision to pursue medicine.
-In addition to advisor and faculty letters, I have a letter of rec from a DO en route, who graduated from AT Still-Kirksville.
-70+ shadowing hours, but specialties are limited. One in family practice, two in cardiology/primary care combo.
-Very little research, other than a paper I wrote while abroad about language mapping methods. The paper did receive high marks.
-A good amount of international experience, some healthcare related (working/studying abroad, shadowing in a rural hospital in Thailand)
-Roughly 200 volunteer hours with a physician group, though most of those were not directly related to healthcare--helping build their new clinics, doing IT work, patient chart filing, that sort of thing.
-Good employment records up to 2007, some internationally but not healthcare related.

I hope I didn't miss anything but I can fill in any gaps later. I'm just looking for thoughts from SDN before I go ask my advisor about it. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just a quick glance at your numbers and I agree that you will be an underdog. Apply broadly and cross your fingers.

Hey all. Been lurking SDN increasingly over the last two years, finally made an account last week and this is my first post.

Basically I'm looking at decent MCAT score (for DO at least) and weak GPA (thankfully not below 3.0).

My non-Sci GPA is 3.16, sGPA 3.12 (AACOMAS). There's an upward trend from when I started (2.5ish in 2004) and I think it stabilizes in the 3.1-3.7 range.

MCAT breakdown was 10V, 9B, 8P. I think my writing score would've been higher but I made a rookie mistake on my first prompt that I didn't catch until I had 10 minutes left (attacking the counterpoint instead of defending the point given). I'm hoping my MCAT is acceptable for DO... I was surprised to find it as high as it was (there was a lot of panic and bad practice test scores in the week leading up to test day!) and I'd prefer not to retake it. My plan so far is to apply widely for DO (I have about 14-16 schools on my list currently).

As for the rest of my profile, sorry if these are a bit haphazard. I'm kinda typing in stream of consciousness:

-Biochem was not a required part of my curriculum so I've eliminated schools from my list based on whether they require it in my instruction.
-I'm a bit of a non-trad... my first degree was towards a BHS for Radiography/X-Ray Tech. I had 2000+ hands-on clinical hours in the course of my program, working directly with patients. But right after I finished the program, I went straight back to school to get the rest of my medical school pre-reqs (this is explained in my PS). Was not sure if this was "volunteer" or how to otherwise categorize this... but it was a huge factor in my decision to pursue medicine.
-In addition to advisor and faculty letters, I have a letter of rec from a DO en route, who graduated from AT Still-Kirksville.
-70+ shadowing hours, but specialties are limited. One in family practice, two in cardiology/primary care combo.
-Very little research, other than a paper I wrote while abroad about language mapping methods. The paper did receive high marks.
-A good amount of international experience, some healthcare related (working/studying abroad, shadowing in a rural hospital in Thailand)
-Roughly 200 volunteer hours with a physician group, though most of those were not directly related to healthcare--helping build their new clinics, doing IT work, patient chart filing, that sort of thing.
-Good employment records up to 2007, some internationally but not healthcare related.

I hope I didn't miss anything but I can fill in any gaps later. I'm just looking for thoughts from SDN before I go ask my advisor about it. :)
You have a fair shot. Your experience will be very attractive to DO adcoms.

Members don't see this ad :)
ah, yeah I'm glad you guys had the same impressions as me. I'm still really glad my MCAT turned out like it did, my practices were coming back in the low-mid 20s, granted they were in poor test conditions. at least that keeps me in the running!

so I have the next year to do interviews and wait to see if I get accepted anywhere... any advice on how I should be spending that time? working? more healthcare volunteering? retaking sciences/taking biochem? (most were in the mid-high B range, but I had a few damaging Cs)

I'm optimistic but I definitely want to use this time to improve my candidacy just in case. I had also considered DPM, but their application process doesn't start until April. the downside is that I think DPM would take me out of primary care.

oh, I asked my advisor about FMG/Caribbean schools also, but she gave me a flat out "no, don't."

Last edited:
ah, yeah I'm glad you guys had the same impressions as me. I'm still really glad my MCAT turned out like it did, my practices were coming back in the low-mid 20s, granted they were in poor test conditions. at least that keeps me in the running!

so I have the next year to do interviews and wait to see if I get accepted anywhere... any advice on how I should be spending that time? working? more healthcare volunteering? retaking sciences/taking biochem? (most were in the mid-high B range, but I had a few damaging Cs)

I'm optimistic but I definitely want to use this time to improve my candidacy just in case. I had also considered DPM, but their application process doesn't start until April. the downside is that I think DPM would take me out of primary care.

oh, I asked my advisor about FMG/Caribbean schools also, but she gave me a flat out "no, don't."
You are ok for DO if this is what you want. You will have multiple interviews and from there it is up to you to 'sell yourself.

Last edited:

Spend your time improving the weakest part of your application, which appears to be the gpa. Your ECs are way above average. Good job on that!

MCAT is indeed fine, but GPA is at the low end of acceptable. Still, I predict you'll get plenty of interviews, so don't fuss.

You are ok for DO if this is what you want. You will have multiple interviews and from there it is up to you to 'sell yourself.
DO is absolutely what I want!
Spend your time improving the weakest part of your application, which appears to be the gpa. Your ECs are way above average. Good job on that!
yeah you're right, I think I should work on my weak classes. histology might be tough for a grade replacement (a 5 hour capstone), but genetics was another rough patch... that was a regular 4-hour (with lab) course. I think I could hack it, and I think I need to understand it better.
MCAT is indeed fine, but GPA is at the low end of acceptable. Still, I predict you'll get plenty of interviews, so don't fuss.

I'm pretty ecstatic everyone thinks I'll at least get interviews. I'll be able to sell myself pretty well... there is quite a deep story about my desire to practice medicine, particularly in regards to primary care... basically I came into this field with the desire to fill a need!

Last edited:

In my experience, schools can be somewhat flexible about some prerequisites. If you're interested in a school and/or think you're competitive there, I think it's worth calling them to find out if they will accept another advanced biology or chemistry class in lieu of biochem.

Considering how competitive it is going to be this year I am not as optimistic of you chances. I like everything except for that GPA. Paired with a mediocre MCAT, it will be hard to sway adcoms. Just from looking at how many people apply and how many seats there are available, there are plenty of people with the stats/gpa/ec's.

Considering how competitive it is going to be this year I am not as optimistic of you chances. I like everything except for that GPA. Paired with a mediocre MCAT, it will be hard to sway adcoms. Just from looking at how many people apply and how many seats there are available, there are plenty of people with the stats/gpa/ec's.

No, there will be over a 10% increase in seats for fall 2013. It may be more competitive at the better schools, but to just get in somewhere, it will probably be less competitive than last year.

In my experience, schools can be somewhat flexible about some prerequisites. If you're interested in a school and/or think you're competitive there, I think it's worth calling them to find out if they will accept another advanced biology or chemistry class in lieu of biochem.

Interesting to know. I'll spend an afternoon in the next day or two (still need to finish moving out of my old apartment today) going through and looking again. I know I also wanted to apply to KCUMB, but they have the biochem requirement.

edit: Just looked at their course substitution link. I think I could make it work, I have Orgo II, Genetics (had a C+ in there, might not want to use this), and Cell Bio. I'd have to call them and do some more digging around.

Last edited:
Welp, I'm getting close to submitting. I said I'm applying wide and that hasn't changed, so are there any schools you guys think I shouldn't apply to? This is less about my numbers and more about regional/IS biases (although places that would automatically screen me out would be nice to know).

I made a list about a month and a half ago, but I based that on the possibility that I was getting a 24 on my MCAT, and not taking course substitutions into account (KCUMB, for example, definitely goes back on my list). I'm going to go through each school's admission page/other available information I can find again later on, but I'd love to have some input from SDN.

Your numbers aren't really doing you any favors, but you have a good amount of experience which will make you desirable to some DO schools. Keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best!

Welp, I'm getting close to submitting. I said I'm applying wide and that hasn't changed, so are there any schools you guys think I shouldn't apply to? This is less about my numbers and more about regional/IS biases (although places that would automatically screen me out would be nice to know).

I made a list about a month and a half ago, but I based that on the possibility that I was getting a 24 on my MCAT, and not taking course substitutions into account (KCUMB, for example, definitely goes back on my list). I'm going to go through each school's admission page/other available information I can find again later on, but I'd love to have some input from SDN.

I can give you a list of schools who have instate bias. Those you should avoid. MSU, OU, NSU, NY, OSU, TUCOM-CA, UMDNJ, TCOM.

I can give you a list of schools who have instate bias. Those you should avoid. MSU, OU, NSU, NY, OSU, TUCOM-CA, UMDNJ, TCOM.
NSU is wrong. OSU was this way. The rep told me they've opened up >25 seats exclusively for out of state.

NSU is wrong. OSU was this way. The rep told me they've opened up >25 seats exclusively for out of state.

I'm looking at the statistics for NSU and OSU. NSU, 75% IS and OSU 90% IS.

I applied with higher gpas and a slightly lower mcat (3.25 cum 3.29 science 26 mcat) and my ECs arent near as good as yours lol