MD & DO 3.02-3.03 cGPA and 2.72 sGPA..... try and apply MD/DO early or SMP only option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tennis Guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So, as the title suggests, I have around a 3.02-3.03 cGPA and 2.72 sGPA (B-minus.) I had an upward trend, after two semesters, during my second and third years in college, but fell off due to depression and other extenuating circumstances. Such circumstances were my grandparents passing away a month apart from each other, my house catching on fire, and as a family having to live away for more than a year from our home. I also seemed to unfortunately get the mindset that I just couldn't get more than a B or maybe a B-plus, if I tried really hard in my science classes. I got way too many B-minuses, which really hurt me unfortunately..... :(

I am strongly considering applying to the SMP at Loyola, but I also have two MCAT retakes, one in 2013, which was an 18 and one 4/28 of this year that was around a 20 old scale. I thought that I would score around a 500 or higher, which would have gotten me the minimum score to apply to the program. However, this was not so, even though my practice tests were around this score. So, I will need to retake, by September at the latest hopefully!!! Could I possibly apply to any schools (DO or MD) early or at all, while studying for the MCAT and retaking it, or will I just need to apply to the SMP or other SMPs? Would taking the MCAT on or before September, hurt me at all, even if I apply, as early as I can at this point and do I have a chance at all applying without an SMP? Could anyone give me some schools that will not auto-screen me out, due to the <3.0 sGPA? I am a Georgia resident and went to school in-state. I have quite a few ECs, shadowing hours, volunteering, and work full-time as a histology technician in a dermatopathology lab for a little over a year as of now. I did a custom made post-bacc for a year and showed an upward trend both semesters (last semester had a 4.0!) Thank you all for your advice, assistance, and insight..... it is thoroughly appreciated!!!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I doubt there is a MD or DO school that would consider your application. Are your GPAs including your post bacc classes? If they are what were your GPAS before the post bacc? Your GPAs would get you auto screened and your MCAT scores are abysmal. I'm not sure any school will even consider you for a SMP. Do you have a Plan B? You probably should at this point.

I just looked back at your post history and you were asking this exact question in 2/16. What have you done since then to improve? What was your second MCAT score. I know you said it was around a 20 on the old scale, but what was the actual score and the breakdown of sections.

It also seems that you have been out of school since 2014. What have you been doing?

In previous threads people suggested the DO grade replacement option. As a FYI, this is no longer an option.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
You just took the mcat 2 months ago and scored a 20 (493)?

Yeah...see if you can excel in upper level science courses first before even attempting to retake for a 3rd time. Use 2 years to take about 48+ credits of only sciences. Retake all pre reqs with a grade of D or F.

You need like 2-3 years before you applying to anything, including SMPs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt there is a MD or DO school that would consider your application. Are your GPAs including your post bacc classes? If they are what were your GPAS before the post bacc? Your GPAs would get you auto screened and your MCAT scores are abysmal. I'm not sure any school will even consider you for a SMP. Do you have a Plan B? You probably should at this point.

I just looked back at your post history and you were asking this exact question in 2/16. What have you done since then to improve? What was your second MCAT score. I know you said it was around a 20 on the old scale, but what was the actual score and the breakdown of sections.

It also seems that you have been out of school since 2014. What have you been doing?

In previous threads people suggested the DO grade replacement option. As a FYI, this is no longer an option.

Well, I have been working, since I finished the post-bacc in 2014 and have worked part-time in 2015 for six months, while shadowing and volunteering. I have been working also, since June 2016 at a dermatopathology lab, as a histology technician. I struggled with a lot of depression and anxiety during and after undergrad and wasn't sure, if I could handle the stress of medical school. I also was not sure, if I really wanted to pursue medicine and had many doubts, until last year after shadowing and such which ignited my desire and passion!!! I know that I need to retake and do better on the MCAT, which I will accomplish ASAP!!!!! I work full-time, so it is really hard to study at the same time!!!

My GPAs were showing a strong upward trend from 2010 but everything went downhill really from 2011-Summer of 2013, due to the issues I have already mentioned. My cGPA was a little below 3.0 (~2.8), so I used the post-bacc to bump it to around a 3.0, in order to be considered for SMPs. I know I can do much better, but I just need a program (like an SMP) or something that will show I can handle everything and get into medical school, which will prove I'm not what my numbers say I am from the past!!!!!

Don't attempt the MCAT again until you are very ready-consistently scoring at or above your target score on practice tests. Part of your problem with the MCAT might be lack of knowledge of content. With a 2.72 sGPA there are probably big gaps in knowledge. Perhaps start studying with heavy content review to see what you are missing.
One thing to be aware of when planning to do a SMP, you must score a 3.6+ in the program. Anything less and it's game over. So be sure you are up to the challenge before you jump in and spend all that money. Do some soul searching and be realistic with yourself. If you think you can do it, great. Go for it. If not maybe find a Plan B.