2yr combo w/undergrad or Post undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dmcpharmd2be

The Voice of Reason
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering the PA career path. As my undergrad is near completion, like other students who are finishing up with undergrad I'm left with, WHAT NEXT?! Attending Med school is still in the air. I have the drive, scores and willingness to give up the next 4-5 yrs of my life to pursue it. But clinging on to the motto of our society, I want options! I talked to a close friend of mine, a doc in Emergency Medicine. He wholeheartedly, thinks I should go for an M.D. But what else is a doc supposed to say, but he did endorse the P.A program if I wanted another option. I've been researching, there are some schools that allow you to get your P.A. certification while ascertaining your undergrad. And others who only allow the entry to their programs and essentially certification POST undergrad. I know it's rather long winded, but my question is, how many of you are in P.A. programs, and what kind of program? A 2yr combo w/undergrad or post undergrad? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

the trend for most programs, and the profession in general, is towards a masters level curriculum completed after an undergrad degree and a few years of medical experience. if your first inclination is med school, do it now because it gets harder to contemplate once you are making good money, have kids and a mortgage, etc.

Thanks for the reply, I agree with everything you brought to light. And will take it all under advisement!

Thanks again