2nd looks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whyOB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone going to 2nd looks? Pretty much all of the programs I've interviewed with are offering these, and I'm not sure if its a good idea.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also wondering about this. Some programs say this is just an opportunity for us to see the program in action and others say that it shows your interest. i also am not really sure what you DO on this second look?

(At least in my residency) You shadow a chief or a team of residents. This is to give you a feel for the everyday flow of work, personalities, and the environment all together. Albeit, you should expect everyone to be on their best behavior. More importantly, even though programs may deny it, it shows them that you are interested enough in the program to go through the cost (i.e. time, money) of coming back.

Personally, I relied on my interview alone and never went back for a second look. Others have done with good success, but you must really weigh the time and monetary commitment against the yield of the second look. Are you doing it to gain a better position in the program's eyes or are you doing it to help in deciding between two very close programs on your rank list? I think the latter should be the only reason to do a second look. Thank you cards & an e-mail late in the game will do the job of the former.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did one second look for a program that I had some residual questions about and where I wanted to get a better feeling for the way things worked at the hospital. It actually really helped me in terms of forming a more rounded impression of the program, though I can't say it moved it up or down in my rank list.

Albeit, it is the program that I matched at and couldn't be happier. There was one other person doing her second look the same day and she also matched there. The others didn't do second looks.

I think that if you have a question about where to rank a program or if it's a community program that you really liked but were mostly interested in academic settings (or vice versa), it might be worth a second look. It's true that it does help programs in terms of seeing who is really "interested" in a program, but that shouldn't be why you do it - unless you have money to burn. I think that most programs understand that you don't and an email saying that you're very interested in the program will suffice (as it's obviously easier to do a second look where you are currently based, as opposed to finding a flight/hotel/car for a program that is far away).

We tell our applicants that if they come back for a second look that it should be for their benefit, not ours.

Honestly, I know that at my program, it is more of an annoyance to the program coordinator to try to set things up and everyone grumbles about it. I'm not sure if it is the situation everywhere but think about what you're trying to gain.

At our program it really helps us distinguish who is interested and who is not. In fact, if you don't do a second look you may not make it onto our list. Our PD really wants to know who is interested and makes a lot of his decision on it.

I did 3 second looks. It really gave me a better idea of what it was actually like at each hospital.

In fact, if you don't do a second look you may not make it onto our list. Our PD really wants to know who is interested and makes a lot of his decision on it.

Really? I interviewed at 14 programs and they all emphasized how unimportant second looks are with regards to their rank lists.

At our program it really helps us distinguish who is interested and who is not. In fact, if you don't do a second look you may not make it onto our list. Our PD really wants to know who is interested and makes a lot of his decision on it.

I did 3 second looks. It really gave me a better idea of what it was actually like at each hospital.

Seriously? That's the first time I hear of a program saying that. Given that most students have to take significant time off and spend lots of $ traveling most people cannot afford to do second looks due to logistics.

In my opinion I think doing a second look is a must. Think of it this way you are to be there for 4 years. Doing a second look gives you an edge on observing without commitment.

:smuggrin:It is like buying a car you simply can not look at one you must test drive many!!!

Diane,

How many 2nd Looks do you suggest? 2nd looks are hard to acheive secondary to lack of time and lack of funds to do them.

Dont waste your time and money... unless you are trying to decide between 2 programs and think it could help you make the rank list. Maybe it is reassuring for some smaller programs but overall just rank the programs in ur order of preferance.

I matched at one of the programs I did a second look at and I think it did make a difference...

I didn't do a second look and still matched my #1 choice. I think it helped to stay in touch with the program, but I had to do this via email and phone calls because making a second trip was not financially feasible for me.

Diane,

How many 2nd Looks do you suggest? 2nd looks are hard to acheive secondary to lack of time and lack of funds to do them.

I did two. It is hard to do second looks but it is possible. I did it even though I was already a resident at another program... I used my credit card and it still hurts.

Some programs, including the one I matched at, encourage second looks.

Listen to the residents when you interview. Some residents said, if you are really interested in the program we recommend you come back... Read between the lines.