286/99!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOCTORSAIB

Ophtho or bust!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not me! I wish, but a FMG on prep4usmle.com. Thought it'd be helpful for those of you preparing for Step II CK. Check it out:

http://www.prep4usmle.com/forum/thread/34699

That has got to be the HIGHEST score I've ever seen. :eek: (assuming it's true).

Members don't see this ad.

holy_cow.jpg

273 on step 1 is the best i'd ever heard....until this.

Not me! I wish, but a FMG on prep4usmle.com. Thought it'd be helpful for those of you preparing for Step II CK. Check it out:

That has got to be the HIGHEST score I've ever seen. :eek: (assuming it's true).

That's impressive :thumbup:
It seems to be true. Of course looking through that thread, he studied really hard for almost 6 months.

That is an amazing score. Looks like he's been a practicing physician for 17 years, so that obviously helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is an amazing score. Looks like he's been a practicing physician for 17 years, so that obviously helps.

When I first read the OP and saw that it was an FMG I was like "well, of course; he probably studied for like a year."

If anyone else asks how to ace the boards, I'm just going to replie "practice medicien for 17 years."

Seriously, 17 years of medical experience and 6 months of carefree living in a kaplan center is not a luxury that most medical students have.

That is awesome, I must work hard too. I wonder if this score is going to impress PDs if you only have a slightly above average step 1? Any thought?

Seriously, 17 years of medical experience and 6 months of carefree living in a kaplan center is not a luxury that most medical students have.

Yeah, the 17 years of medical experience was probably a big reason why this person spanked the CK exam. But, you gotta give credit where it's due. It still takes LOTS of hardwork, intelligence, and test-taking ability (and luck) to land a 286!

But, you gotta give credit where it's due. It still takes LOTS of hardwork, intelligence, and test-taking ability (and luck) to land a 286!

Not really....How can you compare the knowledge base of a Physician with 17 years of clinical experience and medical problem solving, with that of a Medical student who has 0 (Zero) years of experience.

As a PD you have to be fair....This dude's 286 MEANS NOTHING if it is used to compare USMLE scores with medical students.

Not really....How can you compare the knowledge base of a Physician with 17 years of clinical experience and medical problem solving, with that of a Medical student who has 0 (Zero) years of experience.

As a PD who have to be fair....This dude's 286 MEANS NOTHING if it is used to compare USMLE scores with medical students.

If the PD were to take the exam, he or she may still not be able to get 286. 286 is just far too high...if not the highest. I wonder if anyone ever got 300.

not to be an a$$ but someone a couple years ago who went into plastics received a 289/99...studied everyday during 3rd year on top of clerkship responsibilities. he was literally a machine. don't know to this day how he did it. the administration told him he had received the 3rd highest score in the nation.

not to be an a$$ but someone a couple years ago who went into plastics received a 289/99...studied everyday during 3rd year on top of clerkship responsibilities. he was literally a machine. don't know to this day how he did it. the administration told him he had received the 3rd highest score in the nation.

Wow..3rd highest score...this is something i never know...you mean NBME people will tell you where you rank if you can get such a score? this is really interest...so there are two more people who score 290 and above.

Wow..3rd highest score...this is something i never know...you mean NBME people will tell you where you rank if you can get such a score? this is really interest...so there are two more people who score 290 and above.

That's quite a stat. Besides, a 290 today is not the same as it would have been 5-10 years ago. It's all relative to the test-taking pool. Either way, that's a killer score. That score would even make Bigfrank and Jalby bow down.

That's quite a stat. Besides, a 290 today is not the same as it would have been 5-10 years ago. It's all relative to the test-taking pool. Either way, that's a killer score. That score would even make Bigfrank and Jalby bow down.

If NBME people really tell the student where they rank in such a high score, or tell them that they are in the top 3 in the nation. It is a very nice thing to write in your CV.

people please. if you all really believe a 290 is out there then I've got a bridge in brooklyn that you might be interested in. just by simple statistics, a 260 (when I took it) was 97th percentile. Just by simple laws of standard deviations and distribution, no way could 3 percentiles account for 30 scaled points.

people please. if you all really believe a 290 is out there then I've got a bridge in brooklyn that you might be interested in. just by simple statistics, a 260 (when I took it) was 97th percentile. Just by simple laws of standard deviations and distribution, no way could 3 percentiles account for 30 scaled points.

If 260 is the 97th percentile, it means 3% of all applicants scored above 260.
It does not mean that the scores of those 3% is going to be evenly distributed between 260 and 300(assuming that is the highest possible score).
So even if only two people score 280 and 290 and the rest score 261-262, it doesn't change the 97th percentile. "The simple laws of standard deviations and distributions" therefore do not discount someone scoring a 290!

If 260 is the 97th percentile, it means 3% of all applicants scored above 260.
It does not mean that the scores of those 3% is going to be evenly distributed between 260 and 300(assuming that is the highest possible score).
So even if only two people score 280 and 290 and the rest score 261-262, it doesn't change the 97th percentile. "The simple laws of standard deviations and distributions" therefore do not discount someone scoring a 290!

The scores are standarized and distributed, when X number of points corresponds to a certain number of standard deviations. That is specifically what standardized means.

You are basing your reasoning on the assumption that the NBME recognizes significantly better scores with significantly better three digit scores, even though it would severely skew the SD. As you get to the top or bottom of this distribution, you should not expect to see drastic jumps in the scores, I dont believe, since they do try and keep it standardized. So, a 290 is nearly 2 SD above a 260, but you cant physically quantify that in a score, it just doesnt make sense. Why would you assign a score that much higher to someone when you have standardized the test. If anything you would see a smaller drop off in score relative to questions missed (290 = 0 questions missed, 280 = 10 questions missed, rather than 290 = 0 questions missed, 280 = 1 question missed)

I dont think its possible for the high score on this standardized test to be any higher than 275-280

The scores are standarized and distributed, when X number of points corresponds to a certain number of standard deviations. That is specifically what standardized means.

You are basing your reasoning on the assumption that the NBME recognizes significantly better scores with significantly better three digit scores, even though it would severely skew the SD. As you get to the top or bottom of this distribution, you should not expect to see drastic jumps in the scores, I dont believe, since they do try and keep it standardized. So, a 290 is nearly 2 SD above a 260, but you cant physically quantify that in a score, it just doesnt make sense. Why would you assign a score that much higher to someone when you have standardized the test. If anything you would see a smaller drop off in score relative to questions missed (290 = 0 questions missed, 280 = 10 questions missed, rather than 290 = 0 questions missed, 280 = 1 question missed)

I dont think its possible for the high score on this standardized test to be any higher than 275-280

May be 300 = 0 questions missed. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: