250/99 of STEP 2 CK new version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tobesurgeon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took exam on Sep 15th and got the score this morning. It is 250/99. Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Great job!!! Congratulations!!

Hey, how did you feel when you came out of the test?

Again, great job!

FYI, that's about the 92nd or 93rd percentile.!

I thought USMLE scores do not follow a normal distribution, and therefore the mean and standard deviation can not be used to determine percentiles. Or am I just mistaken?

Members don't see this ad :)
USMLE scores follow a continuous probability distribution similar to a Gaussian distribution (i.e. normal distribution). You can do a best fit regression analysis and it comes out close to a normal distribution (95% CI 0.86-0.92 - does NOT cross 1, p<0.001).

There is more data at the USMLE score calculator.

Does the fact that your link is to a Step 1 score calculator decrease the validity of your statement at all?

dc

I see your point but stand by the original statement. It IS a step 1 calculator but if you go through the USMLE website, you will note that the pass scores are very similar, along with the standard distributions (per the NBME website).

Thanks for your input.

True. I just don't remember coming across any official publications from NBMe stating that the scores follow a normal distribution. Perhaps you can enlighten us with this primary data. (I say this because it has been part of the longstanding dogma on SDN and other forums that the USMLEs do not follow a normal distribution, and I'm glad that somebody has finally come around to dispute that).

Last edited: